Check one off of the Bucket List

So, Thursday afternoon at work my friend suddenly says "is there something odd about that plane?"  So, I have to jump up to see what she is talking about.  I get a view of a 4 engined propellor plane making a turn and dropping behind some trees, and that was it.  But those engines and that tail, by golly, we have a B-17 making a visit.

Was going to swing by Airport 2 after work but ended up taking my daughter off to the Doc.

Later that night I remembered about the plane.  A quick Google confirmed that Aluminum Overcast was in town for the weekend and offering rides www.b17.org. Cost is a bit steep but I have some insurance money from our life changing event earlier this year and figured Mike was looking out for Dad again.  

Friday morning I drove past the airport and got this pic.

PA130003.JPG

Later that day I made a couple calls and secured a seat on the 10:15am flight Sunday morning.  In case you don't know, the Fort is one of my all time favorite aircraft.  I have read pretty much everything I can find on her.  Built the old 72nd scale Revell and Airfix kits when I was young and they had place of pride in the ceiling air force.

So, this morning I was up early and ready to go.  The airport is only about 5 minutes from my home so I was there by 9:15 for them to open the doors.  Already a line by the time I showed up which proves I am not the only fan of the 17 in the area.  Got my fee paid (which includes a year membership in the EAA) and my liability form signed so ready to go.  Took a few pics of her on the tarmac before the flight (including some detail pics, hey, I am a modeler after all).

PA150031.JPG

PA150025.JPG

PA150016.JPG

Then it was time to strap in to one of the seats in the rear fuselage and prepare for takeoff with 3 crew and 9 other passengers.  As soon as we were wheels up the Crew Chief gave us the thumbs up meaning we could unbuckle and move around.  I shot some video during the flight and will see if I can get that online but did also get a few shots with my regular camera.

PA150051.JPG

PA150057.JPG

PA150058.JPG

PA150064.JPG

Flight was only about 30 minutes but definitely worth it.

PA150050.JPG

Really, I am having fun.  Just trying to actually take a picture of myself took some concentration.

PA150079.JPG

Here I am after the flight (and yes, I did make a couple purchases).

Rest of the pics are here.

Here is the video uploaded thanks to the help of my son.

Not the greatest quality video ever but don't think I did that bad.

It got pretty noisy but mostly when we were getting ready for take off.  Once we were flying it didn't seem nearly as bad.

However, this little flight gave me a whole new appreciation for the young men that crewed these in the skies over Europe and the Pacific.  Plane was very cramped and not the easiest place to move around.  Can't even imagine how it would have been in the cold at altitude with bulky flight gear.  And I saw very little armor plate, just a panel below each waist gun and that was it.

Now got to see if someone makes decals for it in 72nd scale as I would love to put one of the new Revell kits in these markings  with suitably modified interior.

We couldn't go in the tail or ball turret but had the run of the rest of the plane.  There is video shot by me while on the flight deck.  Took me a minute to notice the turret above me.  Yep, no internal workings for it.  From the outside looks just like a turret but on the inside, not even breeches for the guns.  Does give more room for the Crew Chief to stand and for people to get back and forth while in flight.

Edited by Philp

Jim,

Never been a fan of the Liberator other than the Ploesti raid. However, we did have Walter Stewart (pilot of The Utah Man, last plane to return from the mission) talk at one of our meetings years ago and his story was fascinating.

And also, I now have a hard time turning down any flight on a warbird so if it comes around and I can swing the fee...