1:48 Hasegawa P-47D-25 Thunderbolt Review/Preview

I'm put off by the too shallow fuselage, and the way the wings assemble to the fuselage. In order to get a tight join, you need to mount spreader bars into the fuselage before you offer the wing up to it.. I'd choose the Tamiya every time! Hal Sr

But some of have still have the Hasegawa kit in the stash, I'm building a flat keeled 'D' at the moment so the bottom of the wing section is being modified anyway.

Not a review, but it does include some in-progress photos:

http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b229/DDonSS3/Built%20Models/Hasegawa%20P-47D/?start=all

P474.jpg

Hasegawa P-47D and Aeromaster French Air Force decals. Should have stripes on the wings and tailplanes, but I ended up not adding them.

Edited by DonSS3

I've still got a few Hasegawa 'Bolts in the stash and 3 building. I used to think the Hasegawa was a really nice kit, but having done a side by side build with both it and the Tamiya, I'm with Hal. Tamiya all the way.

Side by side, the Hasegawa just looks anorexic. In order of preference I'd go with Tamiya, Academy and then Hasegawa. While Academy's kit has its issues, the fuselage depth is correct and the minor issues with the rudder shape are easily corrected with a fresh xacto blade. An aftermarket cockpit, rivet tool and a little work makes the Academy kit look pretty good.

I've noticed too, with later boxings the Hasegawa cowling is starting to have some shape issues. Excess flash, distortion etc. On the -25-RE I've got building right now, I had to cut the side panel off of the cowling and fabricate a new one to get the cowl to fit properly.

Just my $.02 (ok, maybe $.04!)

Jon

Just picked up a new Tamiya Razorback and a Do-335 single seater, in a trade for a Revell 1/48th B-17f and a Fine Molds inline engine Judy. I've pre-ordered the Roy Sutherland decal sheet for early Jugs, figuring to do that of R. Pappy Craig. Did that bird many years ago using the old Otaki offering, and hand painting the nose art. came out pretty well, but with the info I've picked up since, and the new techniques that I've also picked up, I should be able to do a pretty good job. This isn't to mention the difference in quality between the Otaki and the Tamiya kits. Kinda too bad Academy never did a Razorback. their -N needs big help in the engine dept, as well as elsewhere.. Some may consider it heresy, but to me the Monogram P-47series isn't even up to Otake standards. Hal Sr

I've still got a few Hasegawa 'Bolts in the stash and 3 building. I used to think the Hasegawa was a really nice kit, but having done a side by side build with both it and the Tamiya, I'm with Hal. Tamiya all the way.

Side by side, the Hasegawa just looks anorexic. In order of preference I'd go with Tamiya, Academy and then Hasegawa. While Academy's kit has its issues, the fuselage depth is correct and the minor issues with the rudder shape are easily corrected with a fresh xacto blade. An aftermarket cockpit, rivet tool and a little work makes the Academy kit look pretty good.

I've noticed too, with later boxings the Hasegawa cowling is starting to have some shape issues. Excess flash, distortion etc. On the -25-RE I've got building right now, I had to cut the side panel off of the cowling and fabricate a new one to get the cowl to fit properly.

Just my $.02 (ok, maybe $.04!)

Jon

Yes the 2 Hasegawa Razorbacks I have in the stash are getting on a bit and they have a problem on the top and bottom of the cowl were the mold has been damaged at some point.

Yes I prefer the Tamiya as well that why I've got about 40 in the stash to build!

had a feeling this would turn into a "tamiya is better" thread.

i like building the same A/C but i always choose a different company when doing so.

I've got the academy,hasegawa,and tamiya jug. only one i didn't like was the 47N from academy. the fuselage fit was super horrible. it was like someone left it sitting in the sun.

im currently working on a hase jug. bubble top D. i've got the fuselage sealed up with no problems. the wing to fuselage fit it's the best but isn't rocket science to get it to fit properly. like someone mentioned above a sprue spreader will do. the cap isn't smaller enough for putty work but not big enough to scream about.

i do like the wing fit on the tamiya jug. i did a lot of dry fitting on my tam razorback and the wing fit is amazing. and no need for a resin office.