Guess I wasted my money - Alclad Gloss Black Base

I was at a local hobby store picking up some stuff and noticed they had a whole new section of Alclad paints. I saw the black gloss base #305 and figured that might be really good for regular black painting (tires, VF-103 tails, skunk stripes etc..), and just picked it up, after all, I've had great success with all other Alclad paints so far. Today I log on to read many reviews on this site saying how horrible the stuff is, never dries, always tacky...now I don't want to even use it.

Most don't use it right. You have to mix the s**t out of it. I use a wooden chopstick to stir and mix all the gunk at the bottom into the liquid. When you think you've got it all mixed up, stir it again for a few more minutes. If you get it mixed properly, it'll dry just as fast as any other lacquer out there. I use the stuff and have never had a problem with it. I don't know about using it for anything other than a base coat for Alclad though, I think you'd be better off with any of the other products out there just for the fact that you have to mix the stuff like crazy.

I saw the black gloss base #305 and figured that might be really good for regular black painting (tires, VF-103 tails, skunk stripes etc..), and just picked it up, after all, I've had great success with all other Alclad paints so far. Today I log on to read many reviews on this site saying how horrible the stuff is, never dries, always tacky...now I don't want to even use it.

My first experience with Alclad gloss black was about 8-9 years ago when the Alclad II product was first introduced into the market. I can confirm that it doesn't seem to ever cure and remains tacky. I even gave it a week to cure before spraying the actual metal finish. Everything seemed fine until 2 weeks later when I noticed hairline cracks all over the metal finish. I striped the parts with Easy Off and started all over again. I thought it was a "fluke" so I mixed the base thoroughly and gave it 2 weeks to cure only to yield the same results. I remain convinced their gloss black it's crap! On the other hand, I've heard their gray primer works fine, but since I haven't had much luck with the gloss black I'm a bit skeptical to try.

What has worked for me? Tamiya TS Black (spray can), MM enamels, Krylon, Mr. Surfacer 1000 or 1200. Just be sure to polish the base coat with compound before you paint your Alclad finish epecially on a NMF aircraft.

If you don't want it, you could try to sell it on a forum or eBay. Granted you wouldn't get back the full price you paid for it.

You couldn't pay me enough to buy it! :D

:cheers:

What style bottle is it in?

Is it in a clear plastic bottle, the same packaging they use for their new range of clear kotes? I spoke to the guys on the Alclad stand at Telford, about all the horror stories I had heard abut it not drying etc. I asked if they had changed the formula along with the packaging, but he said not. He then gave me a bottle to try.

Once home I sprayed it on some scrap plastic card I had lieing around. It dried rock hard with the hour to a super gloss finish. I then shot some chrome over it and got a perfect result.

So I think they have indeed changed the formula for the new stuff, because it worked flawlessy for me. I would do the same experiment I did before comitting it to a model though, just to be on the safe side.

Nige.

On the other hand, I've heard their gray primer works fine

If you're talking about their Grey Microfiller/Primer, it does. Similar to Mr. Surfacer, but with a higher sheen. Thinned with Gunze's levelling thinner, it sprays easily to a buttery-smooth, high-satin sheen. Their black and white microfiller/primer's are also really, really good. The white has decent coverage for a white (though I'd spray over the grey primer for a more even surface), and is ideal for intakes. The black is a great, dark primer and base coat, and all three do a fantastic job of levelling out surface imperfections.

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/paint/alc/paint_alc_primers.shtml

Never used their old products, in the metal cans, however, so I can't compare.

Edited by MoFo

I figured that since I already bought it that I'd give it a try on a OEZ Mig-21 that I striped. I painted half with the Alclad Gloss Black Base #305, and to my surprise, it laid down really well, and after 1 day, it's pretty rock hard and a sexy black to boot. I have now layered some Future on a couple of spots to see what happens. After that I will lay down some Alclad Aluminums on both the black and non black sides to see the difference. So far so good.

I agree with Blunce... you need to stir the **** out of it. I had the same issue on two of my earliest builds, but read this somewhere and haven't had a problem since. I find it one of the fastest curing gloss blacks you can find.

As a side note, I recently bought these tamiya paint stirrers. I think I paid 7 bucks for them but I use them everyday... they are perfect for stiring stuff like this.

As a side note, I recently bought these tamiya paint stirrers. I think I paid 7 bucks for them but I use them everyday... they are perfect for stiring stuff like this.

or ask for extra chopstix next time you get Chinese take out. I find them to be long enough to easily reach the bottom of the Alclad gloss black bottle and very strong, as well as free!

or ask for extra chopstix next time you get Chinese take out. I find them to be long enough to easily reach the bottom of the Alclad gloss black bottle and very strong, as well as free!

The problem I have with that is that you might introduce some debris into the paint... which then becomes very apparent when you put down the alclad metals. After a few years of doing NMF planes I've become a bit of a nazi with this process to ensure there isn't anything like dust introduced into the paints or topcoats.

Trust me, the four dollars spent on these stirrers will be one of the best investments you will make.

The problem I have with that is that you might introduce some debris into the paint... which then becomes very apparent when you put down the alclad metals. After a few years of doing NMF planes I've become a bit of a nazi with this process to ensure there isn't anything like dust introduced into the paints or topcoats.

Trust me, the four dollars spent on these stirrers will be one of the best investments you will make.

oh, yeah I run everything that goes into my Iwata through a filter, so there's no worry about that. A good idea especially for the 'clad Black as you know there's a bunch of junk in the bottom of that. Hate to have some clump plug up yer tip. I get paint strainer bags from Sherwin Williams for a buck or two (5 gal flavor) and that lasts a lifetime. Just cut a small circle and place over your paint cup, pour away.