Converting Airfix Sabre Mk 4 to a Sabre Mk 6

I'm not a Sabre expert, but I've got a few of the new Airfix Sabre in the stash and just came into an excessive amount of RCAF Sabre Mk6 decals. So is this a plausible conversion or should I just break down and get the old Heller kit (and if so, which boxing?)

422 squadron flew Mk 4s.

I'm aware of RCAF use of Mk 4's, at least one of my builds will be of a RCAF Mk 4 once I locate some decals, but I have a rather excessive amount of Mk 6 decals and no Mk 6 kits currently and bought more Mk 4's than I'm really interested in building (an oops, forgot I'd already bought some and bought more)

Get the Heller kit ... or the Airfix one - NOT the new release, though. For a while they reboxed the Heller plastic .... don't know if it's still in their catalog. As for the 'boxing', I'm not sure what you mean. Heller only did what amounted to a Canadair Sabre Mk.6, despite whatever USAF name the kit mfgr tried to give it.

Scott

Edited by Scott Hemsley

The big differences I can think off hand are that the Mk 6 used a different engine and had different wings, with the late Mk 6 having an entirely different wing. http://f-86.tripod.com/wings.html

The Airfix kit comes with a 6-3 hard edge wing. Only applicable to late or rebuilt Mk4s. Same wing as a Sabre 5.

The Mk6 used the hard edge wing at the start of production then added the slats to the 6-3 after. Then early Mk6s were retrofitted with slats. It never used the extended wingtip version (the -40 wing). To answer the OP question, if its the new Airfix Mk 4 you have, just cut off the weng fence and you have a reasonable Sabre 6. For an earlier Mk6 use it OOB. (eg 1956 Skylancers used early Mk6s) However, the old heller kit is miles better..

Tony

Edited by Snowbird3a

The Airfix kit comes with a 6-3 hard edge wing. Only applicable to late or rebuilt Mk4s. Same wing as a Sabre 5.

The Mk6 used the hard edge wing at the start of production then added the slats to the 6-3 after. Then early Mk6s were retrofitted with slats. It never used the extended wingtip version (the -40 wing). To answer the OP question, if its the new Airfix Mk 4 you have, just cut off the weng fence and you have a reasonable Sabre 6. For an earlier Mk6 use it OOB. (eg 1956 Skylancers used early Mk6s) However, the old heller kit is miles better..

Tony

I'm -Neu- and I support this message.

You can also try going to Wheels & Wings on Danforth and see if he has any Hobbycraft (yes I said Hobbycraft) or Academy Sabres, basically same molds. He may also have some Fujimi kits around or failing this then check out Evil Bay as there are lots of different Sabres there. HTH

You can also try going to Wheels & Wings on Danforth and see if he has any Hobbycraft (yes I said Hobbycraft) or Academy Sabres, basically same molds. He may also have some Fujimi kits around or failing this then check out Evil Bay as there are lots of different Sabres there. HTH

While Hobbycraft(Academy) have both a 6-3 Hard wing and a Slatted Sabre 6 wing in their boxings, Fujimi only have a 6-3 Hard wing and a F86F-40(extended span slatted wing) to offer.

We're not making it easy for Mr Mawz with all this unsolicited info are we???

To again answer his first question--Converting the Airfix Sabre MkIV to a Sabre 6 is plausible by cutting off the wing fence(ignoring the engine vents).

But......the canopy and wheels on the Airfix kit are very poor indeed.

Cheers, Tony

That's my usual store. They're out of the Hobbycraft kit last I checked, but may have the Academy lying around as well as the Heller.