What can you tell me about the monogram 1/32 CSM?

I juts picked up this kit for a good price. So far I've found that RealSpace has a couple of nice resin sets, and Space Model Systems has a nice decal set.

What should I be aware of with this kit? Is anyone aware of any online builds or reviews thatI can take a look at?

The goldish chrome tint of the Command Module exterior seems unrealistic. I've never dealt with "chome" model pieces before. How do I go about removing it?

thanks!

Matt

I haven't seen any online builds of it but have one started myself.

New Ware has an interior PE set, you just have to scroll down a bit to find the 1/32 Apollo Command Module Interior. It also has a bit more, like Hi-Gain antenna dishes.

http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/nw002.htm

If you scroll down further, you'll see they've got the three astros for the kit too. It's item #NW051.

To remove the gold coating you can try nail polish remover, 99% rubbing alcohol, de-natured alcohol, here's a bit of an explanation by a modeler ...

"I used denatured alcohol and a soft cotton cloth

to remove the yellow clear coat a Q-tip was used in the smaller areas around

the windows and LES mounting points. The first cleaning left a bit of residue

(I used Hardware Store Denatured Alcohol and I suspect it's not reagent grade.)

A couple of additional cleanings took all the residue off."

I found the seams on the SM to be a pain, so the model has been on the shelf for a couple years ... but I wanna 'git 'er done' nevertheless.

Hope you post your build pix here!

I've built the command module (capsule) section of this kit for a splashdown diorama so I can't really give much input on anything other than that area. I used the realspace interior and was very pleased with it, though most everything except the instrument panel wouldn't be hard to detail or scratch build yourself. Since I did the covering shreaded, as it was after re-entry, I used plain ol' aluminum foil strips and didn't have to strip the gold off. I just primed over the whole thing with a grey so I would have an even surface to work with. I have seen some people use foil strips and replicate the the whole capsule surface very successfully so if you try that you can get away without having to strip it as well. For the rest of the kit I can't give much. Just be sure to post some progress pics. I've been wanting to do another one of these builds and could use all the inspiration I can get.

Good luck,

Bill

P.S. Pete, when ya gonna post your build of this kit? I can only imagine how great a job you'd do!

If you tackle a 1/32 CSM, head on over to Spaceinminiature.com and pick up a copy of their Apollo CSM book. It will give you excellent references for the spacecraft and a great build article as well. Combine the model with the Realspace and New Ware stuff and you can end up with an excellent model IMHO (especially if you do one of the Apollo J Missions with an open SIM bay).

Picture792.jpg

Picture2321-1.jpg

Picture807.jpg

Picture800-1.jpg

Picture700.jpg

Picture790.jpg

Picture2678.jpg

A few pictures of two different builds, one with New Wares interior and exterior, one with Realspace's interior. Both wear S.M.S. decals. Don't waste your time removing the gold plating, scuff it up with fine sandpaper then prime with Tamiya primer. Can you spot the mistake in the last picture of 15?

Edited by stevenichols

John Thank You, I couldn't have done this without the help of your wonderful site. I must find some pictures of the construction. The Mylar on the C.M. was one piece of B.M.F. scribed to the pattern with a new no.11 x-acto and it takes about 45 mins. to do. The hi-gain should be on the opposite side of the S.M., it was corrected after the pictures were taken, duh!

Matt send me a P.M. if you have any questions,

Picture2679.jpg

Edited by stevenichols

Bill, Thank you.

Matt, Jay mentioned the S.I.M. #6 is a must for this build also and I couldn't have done this without that. Pete is also correct about the S.M. seams, they are extremely hard to get right plus the lower thermal radiators need to be re-worked as new resin upper radiators are supplied in Tomas' exterior detail set. One other item, the red R.T.V. between the heat shield and the recovery section should not be as blatant, it is there but quite a bit thinner. The next build I will use a fine line red marker for this rather than paint it by hand. Also the running lights must be re-positioned. And get yourself Realspace's hatch. There is also some re-scribing detail on the S.M. after all that sanding. The R.C.S.pe quad panels are a bit fiddly to work with, be careful.

http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/nw070.htm

Picture2325.jpg

Picture2324.jpg

Edited by stevenichols

Picture2679.jpg

Hey Steven, I have a question. Is that umbilical panel that's seen in this pic (just below the CM to the starboard of the hatch) as it comes with the kit or did you detail that? Just curious cause it looks really good.

Bill

Bill, that is part of the exterior detail set that Tomas offers. The only thing I did not use from Tomas' set was the scimitar antennae as you can see the kit part is a bit thick.

Edited by stevenichols

Yup ... you did a nice job on that, Steve. The PE details, exterior, look outstanding ... and that New Ware interior PE ... holy schmitt! It's gorgeous!

I can't believe the CM chrome stripping only took 45 minutes! Very nice!!

Pete

Pete,

Thanks, the first time I did the mylar pattern took hours, after that you get a feel for it and it's actually pretty easy. After the scribing all the strips are individual in case of a mistake, something I never do :rofl: . It actually takes longest to get the BMF on the C.M. . Knowing your skills can't wait to see yours.

Steve

I haven't seen any online builds of it but have one started myself.

New Ware has an interior PE set, you just have to scroll down a bit to find the 1/32 Apollo Command Module Interior. It also has a bit more, like Hi-Gain antenna dishes.

http://mek.kosmo.cz/newware/nw002.htm

If you scroll down further, you'll see they've got the three astros for the kit too. It's item #NW051.

To remove the gold coating you can try nail polish remover, 99% rubbing alcohol, de-natured alcohol, here's a bit of an explanation by a modeler ...

"I used denatured alcohol and a soft cotton cloth

to remove the yellow clear coat a Q-tip was used in the smaller areas around

the windows and LES mounting points. The first cleaning left a bit of residue

(I used Hardware Store Denatured Alcohol and I suspect it's not reagent grade.)

A couple of additional cleanings took all the residue off."

I found the seams on the SM to be a pain, so the model has been on the shelf for a couple years ... but I wanna 'git 'er done' nevertheless.

Hope you post your build pix here!

Just FYI, Wesley's Bleche-White does a wonderful job of removing the gold, without damaging the plastic. I used it on my CSM and was very pleased with the results.