Space Shuttle Launch Pad 39A with Challenger STS-6 (1:144)

Here is my next update after a short break. :rolleyes:

First of all the small supporting side extrusion at the beginning of the transfer line from the next to last picture has to wait because it can only be welded after the final assembly of the first line segment on the left pallet. To do this it must be threaded namely from behind under the Vent line through. And therefore this must still wait a while. :whistle:

My short break was necessary, because in the meantime, I had to brood over the LOX-Valve skid on the right pallet. Since I must convert unfortunately my first prototype something, after I have noticed some inconsistencies in recent photographs, regarding the wiring of the pipes, which is somewhat complicated. And also some supports shall be completed, I had been so still not recognized. :rolleyes:

That is a pretty difficult business with the transition from the left to the right pallet and then to the LH2-Valve skid on the medium access platform, because since the alignment as well as the height of the lines must be in agreement. And that's why you can build not so away if not everything in paroxysm will degenerate but should fit together. Therefore, it is also appropriate for the time being not to glue the individual line segments, in order to always again control and make any changes or corrections, what but rather keeps. :rolleyes:

So, the LOX-Valve skid was rebuilt only again. It had to be laid initially somewhat lower, so that the transfer line has still some air. Then had to change some supports and some new were added, as shown in the next pictures.

rpallet1.jpg

rpallet2.jpg

rpallet3.jpg

After a first fitting with the transfer line segment could be made.

rpallettl.jpg

And it looks already quite passable. Nevertheless the segment cannot be glued yet, because I'm not yet done on the right pallet.

rpallettl1.jpg

At the end of the line to the elbow pipe it goes then up to the junction in the direction of the LOX-Filter.

rpallettl2.jpg

Up to this point also the Vent line must be extended to the right which branches off from the blind flange and runs directly over the Transfer line. And that was tried out then equal times,

rpalletabzweig1.jpg

and also looks good.

rpalletabzweig2.jpg

The line is still capped then at the place of the elbow pipe. And then it gets really cruel, :woot.gif: as shown in this picture.

jp8linksnebenloxfilter.jpg

Source: J. Patterson (NASASpaceFlight)

From left here comes the Transfer line (below) and above the Vent line. Right in the picture then the Vent line joins in the Transfer line and then's goes above and in the elbow pipe backwards to the MLP wall and from there right to the LOX-Filter. And in between there are some fittings, expansion joints and valves, etc.... :rolleyes:

That should be enough for today, because at this sight already I'm worried to death and singing with the BEATLES: HELP, I NEED SOMEBODY ... :woot.gif::woot.gif::woot.gif:

:wave:

Edited by spaceman

Hi DutyCat,

thanks for the nice words, :rolleyes: after I've finished the MLP, comes the launch tower (FSS/RSS), and then the Challenger shuttle stack, and finally of perhaps the crawler, and all together in a diorama. :coolio:

Thanks Mike for your compliment, but you will need to wait somewhat, because the LOX/LH2-Valve skids keep up much longer than anticipated, because the small details are very complex. I'm sure your SSWS will be certainly previously completed. :rolleyes:

Mike,

I can't no longer wait, once again to see your nice MLP after such a long time. :rolleyes:

And after the frightening sight of the small pipes and valves in the last pic I think to myself, don't worry be happy seems to be the better way out. :coolio:

Therefore it preceded a bit again on the right pallet, which further overhauled and completed, which should be so easy to see.

loxof.jpg

loxmf.jpg

Thus, the right pallet is now complete. The ring of LOX-Filter of that is caused by back and was already a bit too thick, was renewed by one made of 0.3 mm lead wire. Then, the complete pallet together with three lines was painted for the further pipe laying on the pallet and additionally requires the diameters 1.6 mm, 1.2 mm and 0.7 mm.

loxmflack.jpg

loxmflack1.jpg

Now the pallet definitively can be attached on the platform and begun with the laying of the cute branches. :woot.gif:

Above of Transfer line's butt follows the segmented transition to connect the Vent line and then the branch before the MLP wall and then right to the LOX-filter.

loxmflackmlp1.jpg

loxmflackmlp2.jpg

loxmflackmlp3.jpg

Right next to the LOX-filter three pipes with different diameters run then directly from the MLP wall on the Access platform AP 3 (behind the LH2-Valve skid) to Bay 13, from where they then run upward into the LOX-Tunnel, which leads to the right TSM, as shown here in the next pic.

loxmlp3tunnelpfeile.jpg

Source: NASA

Don't bother you that the LOX filter on the pic looks differently than my, but this is a photo of the MLP-3, where this other type of filter was used.

Manfred, I hope you'll pardon me but I just have to do this ...

I don't think we are aware, fully aware, of just how much detail Manfred is putting into this MLP.

I thought I was aware ... until I took a look at my 1/144 MLP. It ... is ... tiny! Here's a photo with a paint bottle for scale.

1144MLP.jpg

Now, looking at the extraordinary detail that Manfred is putting into this, it ... is ... just ... remarkable! It's Un-bee-leev-able!

Keep up the outstanding work Manfred ... and thanx for sharing your skill and expertise! :salute:

Pete

Thanks guys for all the kind words! :rolleyes: Your comments give me encouragement to keep pushing on.

The work you and Mike have accomplished on your builds has been an inspiration for my attempts to make the seemingly impossible possible. :woot.gif:

Again, thanks guys for all your nice comments! :worship:

BTW Pete, a nice pic of the small Revell MLP, I also have. In the next few days I will take a photo for comparison with the Revell MLP besides my MLP, and I suspect that will be impressive :coolio:

Hello all together,

after the overhaul of LOX valve skid was finally completed, I've can stick finally there on the access platform. Thus, it could now further go with the continuation of the transfer line with the segmented elbow pipe behind the stub. And because the branch of pipes is quite expensive and requires various items it took longer this time.

Since the production of small elbow pipe is something difficult, I've glued first always longer parts and cut them after the bonding of adhesive. And if you have bad luck, the stubs can cancel again, and then everything is starting again ... :bandhead2:

tlbergangklammer.jpg

Here you can see some of these parts needed for the further construction of the lines. Left of the cent coin is the Transfer line sent with the finished elbow pipe, which left leads up to the end of the line next to the LOX filter, in between the junction of the Vent line is located. In the gap between the parts, the LOX filter sits then. Right is the continuation of transfer line, which then leads to the LOX tunnel,

einzelteile.jpg

again with two segmented elbow pipes. :rolleyes:

tlbergangtunnel.jpg

The prepared pipe segments with some small details are now.

einzelteile1.jpg

Originally I wanted to build the lines on the platform piece by piece from the front to the MLP wall, but that would be probably become quite complicated so I had to change this arrangements. I think that it is more appropriate to move the transfer line in front of the MLP wall to the LOX tunnel and then being able to align all other lines.

And so the LOX tunnel had to be taken closer under the magnifying glass, on the last photo of previous post one can detect it just yet so under the blast shields. A special locking mechanism is located above the tunnel with two Pipe guides, which fix the two thicker horizontal lines upwards.

And so roughly, the part should look in principle:

guidetunnel.jpg

To adjust the direction and to the fitting of the device the MLP were placed on the back wall.

anprobeguidetunnel.jpg

In between something was painted then also once again.

einzelteile2.jpg

To hold of the pipes on the MLP wall, there are a whole series of similar pipe guides, now displaced. They partly sit on horizontal reinforcement struts, which were installed in addition, since they are absent in the paper kit.

pipeguides.jpg

Next, the segment left of the LOX filter and the line leading to the LOX tunnel could be glued now, and Thank God both parts sit very well. :worship:

filtertunnel.jpg

And here some photos for continuation.

filtermakro.jpg

guidetunnelfinal.jpg

And now, the initial segment of the transfer line to the left corner of the Side 1 could be mounted finally also.

filtertunnelmlp.jpg

And now also the corner connection of the transfer line is finally fixed and stable! :coolio:

filtertunnelmlp1.jpg

Wow, that was a quite piece of work as a whole, and I am happy that everything worked very well so far. :banana:

Looks very nice. Just one small thing though: The LOX/LH2 cryo pipes should be a shiny metal grey color. I'm not sure when the cryo pipes got painted in the current colors, but at the time of STS-6, they were bare VJ pipes with no paint applied.

Hi Dave,

Thank you for the fantastic photo, this is the best photo I've seen so far from the STS-6 mission. :rolleyes: But that gives me a lot of trouble with the colors of the LOX/LH2-pipes of my MLP. Now I am considering whether and how I still subsequently can correct it, then only with a fine paint brush, however pretty expensive. :woot.gif:

On the right side of the Side 1 to LOX-Filter the pipes actually look metallic shiny, seemingly a silver grey? But the upper LOX-Vent line on the left access platform, however, looks grey.

Do you have any photos of the Side 2 and Side 4 of the STS-6?

Thanks Dave for the photos you've sent me as PM. :worship:

Then it looks indeed as if the pipes were metallic shiny with no paint applied. :rolleyes:

Now I have to decide, what I'm doing with my pipes, very difficult. :woot.gif:

Hi Guys,

and so I'm now real considering whether I again around to paint the pipes?

That would be certainly not impossible, but somewhat more difficult, completely apart from the effort. I am but not sure whether I would get the pipes with the brush so clean after painted, or whether I would ruin more me thus. :woot.gif:

As test I have here brushed on-the-fly two metallic shades to sample on a white and gray line, which is right the Silver metallic from Revell Aqua color (36/90), and left about the Aluminum metallic (36/99), which differ but not much.

silberproben.jpg

It might also be a compromise, so to let the grey Vent lines and "Silver" only the white Transfer lines, as here you can see a sample.

silberprobenmlp.jpg

Now I wonder what comments you probably. :rolleyes:

Manfred,

The silver looks good. :thumbsup: You should finish painting the white line silver first and then see how it looks before you paint the gray lines. Maybe you'll be satisfied with just the one silver line and the rest gray. However if the painting goes smoothly then you can consider painting the gray lines silver. Take it one step at a time to see how easy it will be for you to hand paint the silver.

Mike.

Edited by crowe-t

Hi Mike,

Thank you for your tips. The white Transfer lines I'm going on every case silver coloring, because white painted pipes there were not at that time at STS-6 apparently really, so much is sure. :rolleyes:

Then I'll see what it looks like together with the grey pipes. :coolio:

So Guys, fresh dared is half won, here is my first painting of the Transfer line on the Side 2 with the silver color, which is quite okay for the first time, I would say. :rolleyes:

tlsilver.jpg

tlsilver1.jpg

I had to hurry up with the smooth painting between the pipe supports, but it was actually quite good, better than I first thought. I'll rework then still the places with a second coat of paint, where it has not immediately fully covered. :rolleyes:

Once arrived at the corner to the Side 1 I did next then equal up to the LOX-Tunnel.

tlsilvers1.jpg

tlsilvers11.jpg

I am all in all so far pleased with the result, the silver looks quite good and highlights even more the details. That is why I am still considering, whether I even silver the Vent line too. gruebel.gif

What do you mean? :rolleyes:

Nice fix! I was going to recommend using Citadel silvers since they brush on so easily but I see that what you're using is just great the way it is. No need to change anything. And on a side note, doesn't it just make you want to scream when you work hard on something and find out after the fact that something about it is wrong? I hate that. Like scratch building a really complicated assembly and finding out after you're done with it that that part wasn't even on the version you're building! :bandhead2: done that way too many time!

Anyway, keep up this amazing work! I'd love to try something this detailed but I don't think I have the patience and persistence to stay with it like you have. Impressive.

Bill

Edited by niart17

Thanks Pete and Bill for the nice compliments and your compassion, which gives me power to continue. :worship:

Yes, this photo of Dave's was already a quite shock after I now already had mounted the pipes. :rolleyes: But if I then know how the MLP-2 at the STS-6 in the original looked, then I would have no more a quiet minute. And therefore I had to bite into the sour apple, and I thought either now, or never. :bandhead2:

And because on the valve skids anyway still some pipes to painting, I can paint these details again with the airbrush, because this is a more uniform coating. :rolleyes: