I have finaly got round to starting my Gemini 4 build.

This has been an on off project, last put on hold as I had lost some parts which the re-issue of the kit solved.

I also needed some parts from Real Space Models which Glenn kindly supplied.

The instrument panel was detailed using the new decals from the re-issue, wire, rod and strip.

G1.jpg

The centre console and over head panels were detailed using wire, stretched sprue, and plastic strip.

G6.jpg

The cockpit walls are devoid of all detail. The quilted wall covering was simulated with Milliput.

It was rolled out thinly then textured with the knurled finger rest off an X-Acto knife.

The circuit breaker panels, and other details were added using plastic card, and wire, the rolled up splash covers were made from Milliput which was also used to make the various storage pouches found on the cockpit walls.

G2.jpg

G3.jpg

The astronauts in the kit are in fixed, unconvincing poses. The commander was modified by having his right arm replaced with that from the Airfix Stuka pilot, whose face was used to replace the original while turning the helmet to the right slightly. I also replaced his left hand with another 24th one to make it more 3 dimensional.

G5.jpg

To model Ed White space walking, I cut away his torso and added it to a set of legs and arms from the Stuka crew.

Milliput and Humbrol filler was used to blend everything together. A block of Milliput will form the basis for his chest pack.

G4.jpg

The crew compartment's exterior has had the excellent Real Space Model's detail set added to it.

The set corrects the inaccurate sections in front of the hatches and adds detail appropriate for a space craft in orbit.

G7.jpg

This is coming along very, very nicely! That instrument panel looks excellent! And they're the decals from the 'new' kit?

... and I see where LVM is about to release an interior set for this ... ain't it ALWAYS the way!!! :doh:

You slave over some scratchbuild details and somebody, after ALL these years, has an 'easier' way to get the same results!

Well, you'll still be able to scratchbuild the hatch interiors and a helluva lot of other details :woot.gif:

Keep on posting!

Revell's re-release includes a very nice decal sheet which features a lot of external stencilling as well as the instrument panel.

I drilled out the dials on the panel and punched out the decals from the sheet to add them to the panel.

I also cut the other decals out from the instrument panel to place them on the kit part more precisely.

The kit panel isn't too bad, some of the details, such as the key pad and swithches are finely done and useable.

I have ordered the LVM set as it will save a lot of work on the seats and hatch interiors.

Very nice work you've got going on there. I love the ole Revell Gemini kit. And yes, the Realspace accurizing kit is HIGHLY recommended for this model IMHO.

I've got one of these coming myself which I will do up as Gemini 6. That way I won't worry about the interior too much, although I may at least detail it up a little bit for when I decide to open the hatches to look inside.

BTW, what colors are you using for the interior of your bird?

I've had a good look at contemporay colour photos and the best I can make out is that the colour is a very pale gray.

I have mixed my own from Tamiya acylics.

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the detailing set from LVM Studios to arrive, I got on with the two astronauts.

Ed White has had some major surgery:

As2.jpg

As1.jpg

While James McDivitt only needed some minor work and some make up!

As3.jpg

• 2 years later...

Is it just me, or does your McDivitt figure not look like Don Knotts? The Reluctant Astronaut!

reluctant+astronaut+1.jpg

Edited by Hotdog