Whoo!! Got my new boat wet today!

An absolutely gorgeous day here in the beautiful New River Valley. Went with a buddy and got my new kayak wet for the first time in the New. Did a 6 mile float with a couple of Class I and 2 rapids. Beautiful!! Carlisle carbon fiber paddles are *awesome*!! It's like holding nothing all day :)

Jennings, so this is what was higher on the importance scale that the Sun n' Fun?

I can see it

If I was still surfing it would have been a hard one to not do too

William G

No, afraid not. Other more pressing concerns at the moment. I can do a six mile float in four hours. Sun-n-Fun would be a multi-day, many-dollar investment.

img_Catalyst100.jpg

Nice!

Checked their site, tho dicks does not show it. I am guessing it is pretty small length wise to be cruising coastal/tidal bay waters with the 10ft length.

So far have not seen anything I like for the type of thing I want/need to do. I need something crossed between a kayak and a canoe that can stand up in "pole" and get in real skinny water with it. Canoes are iffy with the 30 plus footers that come by here with their wakes and yaks unless they are sit ontops do not have the room for more then one person and gear.

Edited by Wayne S
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice!

Checked their site, tho dicks does not show it. I am guessing it is pretty small length wise to be cruising coastal/tidal bay waters with the 10ft length.

So far have not seen anything I like for the type of thing I want/need to do. I need something crossed between a kayak and a canoe that can stand up in "pole" and get in real skinny water with it. Canoes are iffy with the 30 plus footers that come by here with their wakes and yaks unless they are sit ontops do not have the room for more then one person and gear.

My friend - go to www.allkayakfishing.com. There's an online store section, but hobie makes a two person, sit-on-top kayak with enough room to fit any gear. If you're going to be coastal kayaking, you're going to want a sit-on-top due to the flipping and sinking hazard potential with sit-in kayaks; you can't sink a SOT (unless you're trying pretty hard, I'm sure some idiot could do it).

A good sized kayak for those kind of waters is 14 feet; 12 is a bare minimum and 16 being at your discretion. I you want a good single seater, wilderness systems makes excellent SOT kayaks that are easy to customize - I personally think they're better than ocean kayak's line. Of course, hobie is always cream of the crop.

Hope this helps - if you want to talk further - feel free to PM me.