Kit Manufacturers Questions

Hey guys, I have some questions about aircraft kit manufacturers. I know not one manufacturer is perfect and each has its pros and cons i.e., I know from another post that Revell forgot some windows on their B-17 kit, while Hasegawa got high marks from you guys for the F-14 Tomcat. However, I think it also varies by plane being built. There are kits by Monogram, Hasegawa, Airfix, Academy, Italeri, Testors, Revell, Minicraft, Tamiya, AMT/Ertl & Kitech (if I’m not missing anything) among many others for what I’m looking for to decide on (not all these companies make the same aircrafts so I will have to vary). What I’d like to know is, is there any one company that generally excels above the others in quality and detail even if not perfect?

In case anyone wants to know what planes in particular, I’m looking to build they are: B-17 F/G (and maybe an E), Bf-109G, A-6A Intruder, F-22 Raptor, F-16B Falcon, B-1B Lancer, X-32A JSF, F-35 Lightning II, F-4 Phantom (I’m looking to do a Pardo’s Push diorama and I know it’s either Navy or Marine with arrestor hook, but are the F-4s of Captain Bob Pardo and wingman -B, -J, or -N variants?), A6M Zero Type 21 (was the 21 the only IJN Zero variant in the Pearl Harbor attack?), B-29 (either 1/48 Big, Bad & Beautiful or just a regular 1/72) and B-52D/H. All these kits I intend to build in 1/72 scale with perhaps the only exception being the Big, Bad & Beautiful B-29 which is 1/48 (it is Monogram ONLY, and thus I’d like to know if it is worth it compared to another company’s).

On two final notes, first about the 1/200 Spruce Goose; what do you guys think, Revell, Anmark, Entex, Minicraft or WCO? Second, does anybody make MH-60L DAP kits and F-15 STOL/MTD/ACTIVE kits? Thank you all so very much and I apologize for any trouble; I realize there is a LOT of stuff here.

Well, there's only one kit of the X-32 that I know of, and that's the very rare and relatively old Italeri kit, while the only 1/72 F-35 is the Fujimi F-35B, which is great except for the missing canopy bow. Nobody makes S/MTD or F-15 ACTIVE kits, but you can make one with the tailplanes from an old-model F/A-18. In 1/72, there are no DAP kits, but any kit with ESSS wings can be made into an older model DAP (the newer ones have new stub wings). The Revell-Monogram B-1B (reboxed by Revell Germany) is the only semi-decent kit out there, but it needs some work. B-52: The AMT kits for the H model, which you can find on Ebay every once in a while. For the B-52D, the Revell kit, also from Ebay. The Hasegawa, Fujimi, and Revell kits of the F-22 are all very good from what I've seen.

Pardo was air force, so it'd be either a C or D model F-4.

The Hasegawa and Revell of Germany F-16 kits are both excellent. Revell makes an actual F-16B, so that's your best bet.

Thank you very much. I didn't know that the Air Force F-4s also had arrestor hooks. Was it standard for most or all F-4s of the time? Also, I see that at least Tamiya and Revell have made X-32 kits. Thank you once again; this is very helpful!

Just because a certain label is on the box doesn't mean all the kits are the same. The quality of a model kit depends on many, many different factors. The quality and depth of research, the knowledge, skill, and interest level of the designer (who often, even normally doesn't even work for the model company, he's a independent contractor), and the experience level and skill of the tool maker. To get a really killer kit (think of the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D), ALL of those things have to be optimum. If any one of them is any less, the resulting model won't be all it could be. Sometimes for economic reasons compromises have to be made, so some parts may be left out or simplified. It's an enormously complicated topic, far too complex to be broken down to "this or that manufacturer does good kits".

Thank you very much. I didn't know that the Air Force F-4s also had arrestor hooks. Was it standard for most or all F-4s of the time? Also, I see that at least Tamiya and Revell have made X-32 kits. Thank you once again; this is very helpful!

Tamiya and Revell rebox Italeri kits as is the case with the X-32.

All F-4 variants had the tailhook, for the entire service career.

Ah, thank you. I didn't know that. I haven't had the chance to see many non-Navy/Marines F-4s in museums or airshows.

Just because a certain label is on the box doesn't mean all the kits are the same. The quality of a model kit depends on many, many different factors. The quality and depth of research, the knowledge, skill, and interest level of the designer (who often, even normally doesn't even work for the model company, he's a independent contractor), and the experience level and skill of the tool maker. To get a really killer kit (think of the Tamiya 1/32 P-51D), ALL of those things have to be optimum. If any one of them is any less, the resulting model won't be all it could be. Sometimes for economic reasons compromises have to be made, so some parts may be left out or simplified. It's an enormously complicated topic, far too complex to be broken down to "this or that manufacturer does good kits".

Yeah that's what I figured. For one, I know Revell makes beautiful kits, but many times they are forced to compromise something. It may not necessarily be overt but it's there none the less. Also I think it's may be based on the kit as well as money at the time. I figure mass producing something big like a B-52 kit would be WAY more expensive (not to mention complex) than say a Waco CG-4 in the same scale. Unfortunately most companies have to sacrfice something somewhere. However, I wonder if smaller companies (assuming their going for quality) with smaller product line would have these problems?

Tamiya and Revell rebox Italeri kits as is the case with the X-32.

Do you know if they do this often or if it is only on certain kits?

Edited by KnightWolf

If you want to do a 1/72 B-17 the new revell kit is very good. Has a couple niggling issues like staggered waist window being omitted for a G and the top turret sits a little high. Aside from that it's extremely detailed and is the only B-17 kit of any kind that comes with wheel wells. I think they just released an F boxing as well but I haven't seen it yet. The fit is superb also. You can't really go wrong with the 1/48 B-17s from r/m either. Raised lines but they get the shape spot on and are big enough for extra detailing.

Hey guys, I have some questions about aircraft kit manufacturers. I know not one manufacturer is perfect and each has its pros and cons i.e., I know from another post that Revell forgot some windows on their B-17 kit, while Hasegawa got high marks from you guys for the F-14 Tomcat. However, I think it also varies by plane being built. There are kits by Monogram, Hasegawa, Airfix, Academy, Italeri, Testors, Revell, Minicraft, Tamiya, AMT/Ertl & Kitech (if I’m not missing anything) among many others for what I’m looking for to decide on (not all these companies make the same aircrafts so I will have to vary). What I’d like to know is, is there any one company that generally excels above the others in quality and detail even if not perfect?

In case anyone wants to know what planes in particular, I’m looking to build they are: B-17 F/G (and maybe an E), Bf-109G, A-6A Intruder, F-22 Raptor, F-16B Falcon, B-1B Lancer, X-32A JSF, F-35 Lightning II, F-4 Phantom (I’m looking to do a Pardo’s Push diorama and I know it’s either Navy or Marine with arrestor hook, but are the F-4s of Captain Bob Pardo and wingman -B, -J, or -N variants?), A6M Zero Type 21 (was the 21 the only IJN Zero variant in the Pearl Harbor attack?), B-29 (either 1/48 Big, Bad & Beautiful or just a regular 1/72) and B-52D/H. All these kits I intend to build in 1/72 scale with perhaps the only exception being the Big, Bad & Beautiful B-29 which is 1/48 (it is Monogram ONLY, and thus I’d like to know if it is worth it compared to another company’s).

On two final notes, first about the 1/200 Spruce Goose; what do you guys think, Revell, Anmark, Entex, Minicraft or WCO? Second, does anybody make MH-60L DAP kits and F-15 STOL/MTD/ACTIVE kits? Thank you all so very much and I apologize for any trouble; I realize there is a LOT of stuff here.

Hi, probably best B-17E/G is now a Revell. I have a new B-17F Memphis Belle and is (in box) very nice. "E" is only from Academy (or Minicraft). Bf 109G is nicest from Fine Molds, F-22 Revell or Academy, B-29 Academy (Minicraft), F-16B (RoG=Revell of Germany), B-52G/H made Italeri (Re-box of AMT, but "H" is now OOP),B-1B Lancer = RoG,F-35 Fujimi but is very expensive...

For Tamiya pretty much most of their 1/72 Warbird catalog is Italeri plastic.

As for Revell a few kits.

Thank you. That's good to know.

If you want to do a 1/72 B-17 the new revell kit is very good. Has a couple niggling issues like staggered waist window being omitted for a G and the top turret sits a little high. Aside from that it's extremely detailed and is the only B-17 kit of any kind that comes with wheel wells. I think they just released an F boxing as well but I haven't seen it yet. The fit is superb also. You can't really go wrong with the 1/48 B-17s from r/m either. Raised lines but they get the shape spot on and are big enough for extra detailing.

I'm not sure what you mean 'the only B-17 kit of any kind that comes with wheel wells'. Does that mean the others don't have them at all and have to be scratch-built or that they lack detail? It's been a few years since I built my last model, and I wanted to start off with as little modifying as possible. I can only imagine the nightmare it'll be when it gets to weathering and damage effects for dioramas andthe likes. There was a link somewhere on thses forums that led to a page comparing different B-17 kits (and also different scales if I'm not mistaken.), but I haven't been able to find it again yet.

Hi, probably best B-17E/G is now a Revell. I have a new B-17F Memphis Belle and is (in box) very nice. "E" is only from Academy (or Minicraft). Bf 109G is nicest from Fine Molds, F-22 Revell or Academy, B-29 Academy (Minicraft), F-16B (RoG=Revell of Germany), B-52G/H made Italeri (Re-box of AMT, but "H" is now OOP),B-1B Lancer = RoG,F-35 Fujimi but is very expensive...

Thanks. I was about to ask about the Italeri B-52 as I saw some discussions of AMT's yesterday, and they did not fare well for the kit (italeri's was only briefly mentioned in passing and I couldn't find any other topics discusing it in length).

Also I think it's may be based on the kit as well as money at the time.

Actually it's a lot more complicated than that. The designer, and the research with which he is provided have much more to do with it than almost anything, followed closely by the skill of the tool makers. Unfortunately in recent years, the quest for cheap tooling has led to the use of tooling shops in China with zero experience in producing plastic model kits. They tend to make "improvements" in things without being asked, resulting in some real boneheaded moves that can't be fixed. They'll fix one thing they're asked to fix, and in the process will screw up seven more that were okay the first time.

I'm not sure what you mean 'the only B-17 kit of any kind that comes with wheel wells'. Does that mean the others don't have them at all and have to be scratch-built or that they lack detail? It's been a few years since I built my last model, and I wanted to start off with as little modifying as possible. I can only imagine the nightmare it'll be when it gets to weathering and damage effects for dioramas andthe likes. There was a link somewhere on thses forums that led to a page comparing different B-17 kits (and also different scales if I'm not mistaken.), but I haven't been able to find it again yet.

Yeah I haven't seen any kit either 1/48 or 1/72 that has an actual wheel well before the new tool revell kit. They all just use the bottom of the upper wing and then stick the gear in. But this is only a problem if you're going to be showing the bottom of it. Otherwise I wouldn't worry much about it.