This is Monogram's 1/48 F-4J Blue Angels boxing. I'm building it as a VMFA-333 F-4J using CAM Decals. I built this kit with my father when I was a youngster in grade school (grammar school), but it was gray styrene with Showtime 100 decals. Here's the obligatory box top picture and my progress so far. More to come this week!

100_4095.jpg

100_4096.jpg

100_4097.jpg

100_4093.jpg

100_4094.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Aaron

The cockpit is finished! Nothing but basic color and a little drybrushing to bring out the detail. US Dark Gull Gray for the interior, Grimey Black for the black panels and dials, and a drybrushing of Neutral Gray to make the details pop.

cockpit3.jpg

cockpit2.jpg

cockpit1.jpg

After gluing the cockpit in place it was simple enough to glue the two fuselage halves together. I used Tenax for that. It's very easy to use and helps close the gaps. Few gaps on the Monogram F-4J though, as always! Really it fits together very well.

fuse1.jpg

fuse2.jpg

I usually have 3 different glues on the go. Sometimes they're not all needed but it helps if I'm in a jam and need to change it up. I used Tenax for the fuselage tonight, and used Model Master Liquid Cement to glue in the cockpit. I have my local hobbyshop brew of superglue. This one is the extra thin. I prefer gap filling in most cases, but I'm out of that one at the moment.

glue.jpg

Cheers,

Aaron

Edited by jester292
spelling and grammar

Ah, the Blue Angels Phantom. Such a beautiful scheme. :wub:

A friend of mine bought a Blue Angels model and I think it contained more than one airframe. :hmmm: In fact, it's possible there were four planes in the box with a black plastic stand to show them in formation. It's a long time ago and my memory is hazy.... :foof:

That dark blue plastic is going to take some covering.... :unsure:

Great start Aaron, looking forward to seeing more. :thumbsup:

:cheers:

Thanks for the kind words gentleman.

Geedubelyer: I'm not too worried about the blue plastic. The gray will cover okay, and I'll lay down the white OVER gray on the bottom to help with coverage.

Neo: I haven't had much trouble with gaps yet. One small one on the bottom where the bottom fuselage and wing assembly meets the nose. I haven't needed much putty on these F-4s, but the Monogram A-10 is a different story!

Moving on, I've attached the wing assembly to the fuselage. Just a small gap towards the front where the bottom fuse attaches near the nose. Most of the seams can be removed with a few swipes of a fine grit nail polisher.

Pics to come this weekend.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

Time to dig this one up! I've made a bit more progress by adding the wings and intakes. Now I'm working on the tail and reworking some seams to get it ready for paint. Canopy needs masking and I have to decide how I'm going to paint the metal on the back end.

I apologize for not having pictures and for taking some time away from the build. Family life has been busy; and while I've had time to squeeze in some building, I haven't had the additional time required to update this thread with pictures. I'm hoping tomorrow.

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...

This is the only photo worth posting for tonight. I'm pretty ticked with photobucket, I was unable to get the editing features to function properly. Unfortunately, this is the size you get!

100_4177_zps411399fc.jpg

The wings are on, the canopy is masked as well. Just about ready for paint. I'm letting most of the seams go, I don't feel like destroying all the fine raised detail. Hopefully some clever post shading and weathering can keep the focus off the gaps on the intakes. Weapons, pyolons, and gear to go!

Aaron

I finally had some time at the bench last night.

I've decided that I won't be puttying or sanding seams. The biggest reason is that I don't want to demolish all the raised detail on the kit. Also, it will add too much time to this build for me. My goal is to have this done by the end of the year so I'm skipping the seams.

Here's how it sits today. Almost ready for paint!

100_4177.jpg

I'm using the weapons that come with the kit. 6x Mk. 82 with fuse extenders, 4x AIM-9, and 4x AIM-7. The Sparrows are from my spares box leftover from a Hasegawa F-4. I'm thinking about replacing the Sidewinders as well. The kit's are pretty bad.

100_4179.jpg

The kit inboard flaps were molded seperate and in the lowered position. The fit was good, but pictures indicated that they drooped a bit more than the kit provided. I clipped off the tabs and added half round strip styrene to the front edge, creating a better looking piece while closing the unsightly gap between the parts.

100_4186.jpg

100_4185.jpg

100_4178.jpg

As always, suggestions are welcome!

Aaron

Hey there gang, another quick update. Yesterday I managed to preshade the Phantom. I don't normally preshade, but it looks pretty good under white so I though that would be the best way to begin the weathering process.

100_4189.jpg

100_4188.jpg

I used Floquil Grimy Black for the preshade. Its not too drastic when used for weathering. I use it for cockpits, tires, and weathering.

Today I painted the underside white. I use Model Master Acryl Gloss White. It's relatively easy to use. I spray it straight from the bottle at pretty high air pressure, about 30 to 35psi. I also sprayed the wing tanks and the weapons pylons.

100_4190_zpsab698a24.jpg

100_4193_zps8f3f8344.jpg

100_4194_zps2289a5aa.jpg

100_4195_zps339ed547.jpg

100_4196_zps040a9f06.jpg

I won't have any bench time until next weekend, so that's all for now. Thanks for watching!

Cheers,

Aaron

• 1 month later...

Looking good! I remember building the Showtime 100 bird myself, it was one of my favorite builds. Your white underside is turning out much better than mine ever did. I remember painting all of the white using a small pint can of my dad's gloss white enamel paint that he used for woodworking. I used one of those old 1/4" wide Testors white handled brushes and I slapped about four coats of paint on their trying to get decent coverage. And thus began my loathing of having to paint gloss white!

-Dave