Axalp Today: How awesome was that!?!

Went to see this the 1st time today--I have seen many airshows in many places but this is really unique. Hiking in the Swiss alps and then having F/A-18's and F-5's fire right in front of me is just incredible. The flying is also incredible, have never seen anything like it. Somebody posted this on youtube, has some nice simulation mixed in to show the approaches.

Marcel

Edited by Marcel111

I'm super jealous!!! would love to see the Axalp exercise but Switzerland is just a bit too far away.....though it may be worth saving up for the future, would love to go back to Switzerland, used to go there for ski trips when i was a kid in Germany. But I'm glad you had a good time, I did get to see a CF-5 fire cannon and rockets at Cold Lake, was quite the experience.

Marcel,

To watch that in the quietude of MY home so early was pure joy.

To watch that where the serene , tranquility of the majestic mountains is slowly shattered by the supersonic roar of the jets is

SO HEAVENLY.

The mountain soaking up all that adrenalin just as you did Marcel and hundreds of other spectators.

What a SPECTACULAR, OUT OF THIS WORLD Air show that is. :worship:

It was MAGNIFICENT watching it with that stirring music ..made ME feel as if I was there.

BE STILL MY HEART :wub: :wub:

Marcel, thank you very much for sharing that with us all.

{ did you take or get the chance to capture any photos} :salute:

Holmes, I love the enthusiasm!

I didnt take pics, I figured there are are a bunch of pro photographers up there taking much better pics than I can, so just sit back and enjoy.

If you google search Axalp 2012 you come up with some very cool pics.

Marcel

Just arrived home yesterday and just posted my first post on my photoblog - link is in the Research Corner of the forums. I was there for the 2nd time and it was a blast. Of course due to weather we had only one shooting day, so I've decided to climb the Wildgärst mountain on the other side.

• 1 month later...

Very cool video. What's the general population's reaction to this? Supportive or... I think that if that happened here in the US, the hippie tree huggers would split out of their skulls.

From what info I got from the locals, there is a civil iniciative to stop this exercises, but majority of locals live with it and embrace it and lots of them actually climb the mountain during those 2 weeks to see the aircraft up close and personal. I was also wondering how much all the jet and gun noise scares the animals but have witnessed a chamoix (photos on my photoblog) enjoying the day on the nearby peak, not being bothered at all that Hornets and Tigers and occasional Gripen flew just a few tens of meters above him.