Converting a Trumpeter F4U-4 to a F4U-5N

Topic titel changed ;)

I like the look of the F4U-5N corsair, soooo I've been thinking on converting the Trumpeter F4U-4 to a 5N

But the canopy looks a little diffrent... would, is there to much differnce or is the Trumpy canopy all wrong?

And there is the engine (is there another Trumpeter kit that can be use a source for the engine?), nose plug, underwing pylons, radar, the hump behind the cockpit, is there any more things that's need chaning??<br

All the best

Mikkel

Edited by MIG Mikkel

Short answer is no. The -4 and 5/5N series had major changes between them. The -5 fuselage was longer, the exhausts were different, the cowling air scoops were different, the wings on the -5 were metal skinned versus fabric on the -4, the tail trim tabs were revised on the -5, the canopy was a more bulged design with a fairing on the -5, the instrument panel was different on the -5 (among other cockpit revisions), and if I remember correctly the tail gear doors were different. These are just a few things I can think of. It's entirely my opinion but I'd just build the Trumpeter -4 as a 4. Hasegawa (also boxed as Monogram ProModeler) has a -5/5N that is very nice and builds up well. It doesn't have foldable wings but it does have separate flaps. It's also cheaper than Trumpeter's -4. I think you'd be a lot happier going that route.

Hey Chriss,

I'm talking in 1/32.... :D There's a conversion for a F4U-7, but it's a little expencive (80euros)

Cheers,

Mikkel

The -7 is once again a copletely diferent bird from all of them. And as mentioned, the -4 and AU versions were too diferent from the -4.

The -7 is once again a copletely diferent bird from all of them. And as mentioned, the -4 and AU versions were too diferent from the -4.

Soooo if I want to do a F4U-5N in 1/32 I'll have to make all them parts me self?

I have a hard time finding good scale drawings, I don't surpose you have any :)

Cheers,

Mikkel

Combat Models makes a -5. I can't recall if it's a conversion for the Revell Corsair or a whole kit. I have one in the stash somewhere. I also think there was an article in FSM years ago on converting the Revell kit to a -5N.

Very interesting!!

Please post some photos when you find it!! :D

Cheers,

Mikkel

Get a Hasegawa 1/48 F4U-5 kit and use the kit and instructions as a guide. You've got a LOT of work in front of you...

Yes it would be a ton of work but it would also be an amazing model whem you are done.

All righty then!!!

I got a Hasegawa kit...work is fun!! :whistle: Lets see how happy I'am when I really start working on the model :lol: :D

Mister corsair, yeah the 5N is the coolest one of 'em all!! the Argentine ones are very sexy!!:coolio:

Cheers, and thanks

Mikkel

All righty then!!!

I got a Hasegawa kit...work is fun!! :whistle: Lets see how happy I'am when I really start working on the model :lol: :D

Mister corsair, yeah the 5N is the coolest one of 'em all!! the Argentine ones are very sexy!!:coolio:

Cheers, and thanks

Mikkel

The major mistake on the Hasegawa kit is the section behind the canopy and around the cockpit area. The entire section must be raised by the height of the fairing behind the canopy. This in fact will make things easier for you because you will leave the shape of the turtleback behind the canopy alone using the -4 and just add the fairing for the canopy rear section. You will just have to make a new sliding section clear part.

Otto,

For the rearpart, would it be best to make a hole new part of balsa or can I modify the kit part to fit??

All you should have to do is add the fairing behind the canopy and than make a new canopy.