1/72 Trumpeter Tu-22M3 Backfire C

Here is the build of a kit that is now actually completed -it took the better part of this year to finish and I had to learn some new skills and techniques to get it done.

The kit is good I think, although not perfect -but the end result -with some additions and alterations- comes out really well.

I used the NeOmega pit and the same burner-ring Janman used (thanks for the link BTW!) and the Authentic Decals sheet.

Trumpy22m3C.jpg

22m3Ukr001.jpg

Did the corner screen correction thing;

22m3Frontgear007.jpg

22m37412004.jpg

Also decided to improve the auxilliary blow-in doors;

22m37412003.jpg

tu-22m36001.jpg

tu-22m36003.jpg

Some work started on the Kh-22 and Kh-15 missiles;

22m3Weapons001.jpg

22m3Weapons002.jpg

Kh-22fins006.jpg

Wings work; these you are directed to make with the upper air-brakes open and flaps and slats out. Have seen pics of these done, and they look OK, but would need extra scratch-stuff to make them look 'busy' enough I think.

I decided to build them clean -so they can then be swept-back -a look I like over the cluttered everything-out option.

The slat/flaps etc do fit closed OK, but as is usual for Trumpeter, they haven't really proveded a 'fit' to make this easy. Some re-inforcement was required but easily sorted.

APUwingsTail002.jpg

APUwingsTail008.jpg

Decided I'd put some effort into the tail APU to make that area look right;

APUwingsTail005.jpg

APUwingsTail007.jpg

Wingsfill006.jpg

More wing work, this time swing-wing gap filling. Having seen othe Trumpy Backfire C's completed out there, none had these gaps but no-body mentioned them or what they'd done. So, after a coat of looking at it, some plastic-card and ( a later idea) bending some flap-bits (as per the RL aircraft) had satsifactorily fixed the problem. Some filling and tweaking to finish still and wings not fixed.

Jubilee003.jpg

Wingsfill002.jpg

Wingsfill004.jpg

Here is the kit part for the engine nascelles which lacks internal detail, and my solution. Having thought on it long and hard I've gone for a fairly straight-forward and simple plastic card with rivet detail.

Had visions of rounding the edges of the intake floor, but this wasn't possible with my skills and tools to hand. I think it looks better in front of you than in the pics (pics forshorten the inner spacings). Hopefully painting will improve it further...

Intakes001.jpg

Intakes003.jpg

The gear has received some additional work also;

Gear007.jpg

Gear003.jpg

Now for the engine-rear. Wanted to spruce this area up more to look more like the RL plane. Used some PE (same as Janman) and an IDE cable trick learned here also;

engines002.jpg

GunEngines006.jpg

GunEngines009.jpg

Hi Lunatech,

congratulations on the job you have done on the Backfire, I like it a lot.

More pictures, please.

Regards, Laz

There is a Ukrainian photo etched set for the engine exhausts (not the afterburner flame holder ring as shown above), it looks really good. Worth hunting it down!

Best regards

Gabor

He said it's completed.

I don't think that he will destroy what he did within one year...

Great detailing work Lunatech - congratulations...... :thumbsup::worship:

One point to note though - regarding the auxiliary blow in doors that you are detailing so beautifully.

They would only be open if the engine is running - if you are building a 'static' model with the engine shut down, they should be closed.

Also - most Backfires are parked on the ramp with their wings fully swept aft - to save space.

The Tu-160 on the other hand, is usually parked with the wings fully forward - otherwise it has a tendency to tip back on its tail :woot.gif:

Just saying......

Ken

He said it's completed.

I don't think that he will destroy what he did within one year...

The Ukrainian detail set is for the "turkey feathers" and not for the inside of the afterburner can! You dont have to destroy anything, just take of the plastic petals and replace them with the etched parts. I like the way Lunatech has build up the afterburner section, it is very inovative and looks very convincing!

Best regards

Gabor

Thanks for your comments and advice Guys!

Gabor -I did quite a bit of looking around (on here too) and only came up with the link Janman gave for the ring PE -I don't think I'll bother adding more, but, do you have a link for the petals PE? I might get tempted to improve it further if it ain't going to be too expensive and hard work!

As for the wings parking position -I will have the wings free and they will mostly be swept (I like the look of it like that) but the wings move easily to give me the option. IIn the research I did (plus books I have) the Backfire is shown in all manner of positions -so what I will do is have it parked how I like it to look. That includes the large fuselage gear-doors -these are closed almost all the time except when deploying retracting the gear I have seen images of them open on the ground for work (I assume) so that is what I will do, have them open for inspection!

Same for the blow-in doors -as Flankerman says- they would be closed except when engines are running. However, I want them to stand out! It's poetic licence. :rolleyes:

The Ukrainian detail set is for the "turkey feathers" and not for the inside of the afterburner can! You dont have to destroy anything, just take of the plastic petals and replace them with the etched parts. I like the way Lunatech has build up the afterburner section, it is very inovative and looks very convincing!

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

in that case can you please pass me also a link or some data from the product?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,Laz

Next, I got on with the NeOmega 'pit. This looks great and is way better than the kit offering.

It is not perfect though; one part was mis-formed (i just added soem scratch to repair) and the fit of the seats and the whole assembly was not good. It took me a lot of work to fit both -the seats had to be trimmed at the base to fit into the cockpit, and a lot of sanding was required for the whole to fit within the fuselage. Once in, it looks really great and was worth the trouble.

cockpit001.jpg

cockpit003.jpg

cockpit2003.jpg

cockpit2005.jpg

cockpit2008.jpg

cockpit2010.jpg

cockpit2012.jpg

I'm still learning how to use my Iwata air-brush, and needed to start getting stuff primed and painted.

So I thought I'd have a first-go with Alclads. Used their primer on a number of parts, and this went pretty well with no disasters and the only problem was not actually spraying it thick enough on some bits.

BTW I used 15psi and all Alclads neat, and read up all I could see here -although I think I wasn't spraying close enough at times.

I then later on after a fair spell to let the primer dry moved to using Alclad Aluminium on the below parts. Didn't go nearly so well, but no absolute disasters I think...

Worst problem was where I overloaded a couple of bits -yet these were the easier bits (nice small and flat)...

Next problem was a foggy of grey area where I wasn't getting a good finish -I think this is me spraying from too far away? Some areas look great next too foggy areas.

Alclad1005.jpg

Alclad1003.jpg

Alclad1006.jpg

I also made some changes to the rear GsH cannon -kit part isn't accurate, so I got the plastic-rod out etc!

GunEngines001.jpg

GunEngines004.jpg

Edited by Lunatech

I'm correcting the main-gear and adding a little extra bits here and there.

As you will see in the photo below, this is how the 22m's main gear is supposed to be attached to its retraction-strut; see how it's just one strut and...

Main3.jpg

Not this strange realisation somebody at Trumpeter thinks it should be;

GearChange001.jpg

So, having thought about it, it seems an easy-ish fix will correct it -cut the 'triangular' bit up, extend it and we have something that'll do nicely;

GearChange003.jpg

Here it is dry-fitted;

GearChange004.jpg

And below you can see added strut-joints, plus my answer to how I'm going to attempt to air-brush the wheel-wells. As the bottom of the engines are Alclad and the sides a blue-ish-grey, I decided to avoid masking by building the sides but not glueing them to the engine bit -is this a good way or is there a better way?

GearChange002.jpg

Fitting the cockpit.

Biggest PITA has been the NeOmega pit; nice to look at but boy -what a pain to fit!!!

Loads of cutting and sanding to get it togther -there's no room for error and dry fitting doesn't necessarily always help, as the parts all fit so closely.

Biggest problem with the resin pit was the seats -they're too tall to fit!

If i'd realised how much at the start I would have cut the floors from below the seats and saved much effort...

Still, it's all in now and other than a little more scratch parts around the doors and a bit of tidying painting, they're done.

PitIn006.jpg

PitIn003.jpg

PitIn004.jpg

Not tried pre-shading before, had some mixed-results...

White surfaces went well but the greay one's didn't show too well. Need to learn more!

PitIn002.jpg

Scratch-building going OK and most enjoyable part of build for most part.

Trying to lighten Trumpy-recommended MyHobby H335 grey for upper surface -as is it's too dark and I'm adjusting with Tamiya white.

ChromeGear003.jpg

5812002.jpg

5812007.jpg

5812004.jpg

5812009.jpg

5812011.jpg

Shots of various parts paint and construction. I've never built a kit in so many 'modules' before -idea is to make painting easier, although it didn't always work well!

BTW I got the bomb-bay colours wrong, I studied photo after photo, and still got it wrong... :whistle:/> :bandhead2:/>

baysin013.jpg

Lower fuselage front;

baysin007.jpg

baysin005.jpg

baysin010.jpg

baysin011.jpg

baysin008.jpg

Edited by Lunatech

Here, we see the front fuselage coming together; the forward part was good as there wasn't enough plastic to glue together somehow. I hot-glued the rear of the forwrd section, let it dry and then worked upon the forward bit later. Worked OK.

ForwardFusalage002.jpg

ForwardFusalage010.jpg

ForwardFusalage009.jpg

ForwardFusalage006.jpg

As I've driven myself nuts thinking about how I'll assemble and paint it, I've gone with a paint and assemble in modular fashion to (hopefully) make the more difficult areas easier to do with my (still new) air-brush 'skills'.

Had to strip several parts where I've got it wrong, but, hopefully, I've got the important lessons drilled-home now!

Biggest pain to be honest was the burner-cans -which ironically- I'd done a good job with first attempt but got flushed with success (this is easy... -no it ain't...) tried to much and had to strip and start again. And again etc, etc. More I did it the worse I got! So, I've done them simply now and left it there!

Have some time off work this week, so I can spare more time now it is needed.

Sunday007.jpg

Sunday006.jpg

Sunday004.jpg

Sunday003.jpg

Sunday001.jpg

Sunday002.jpg

Edited by Lunatech

Now the wing under-sides are dry I did the uppers. Then joined the fuselage rear top to bottom and when dry added the tail. Today I'm filling sanding this part and when done the forward section will be joined along with the engine nascelles etc.

Tuesday003.jpg

Tuesday010.jpg

Tuesday006.jpg

Tuesday009.jpg

Here's most of today's work; joining the main sections together has been the main job and filling and sanding -of course...

Wings have been painted with the following (as have all other parts of the AC) Alclad grey primer, followed with a 50/50 Tamiya white X-2 coat, some pre-shade and then another coat of X-2. Then used Alclad gloss coat, then weathering and finished with a semi-shine Alclad varnish.

Wednesday003.jpg

Wednesday006.jpg

Wednesday007.jpg

Wednesday010.jpg

Wednesday011.jpg

If I did another of these, I would do most things the same way -but hopefully avoid the mistakes I made actually doing it! I made the biggest mistakes aligning all the fuselage parts -they weren't far off, but as I dry fitted it before hand, it all looked as if there would be virtually no gaps. That proved to be wrong!

Weekend002.jpg

Weekend001.jpg

Weekend005.jpg

Weekend015.jpg

Weekend010.jpg

Edited by Lunatech

I actually made this kit as part of a group-build elsewhere, and because time got tight I decided to 'finish' it to get it into the competition and then return to complete it after.

The pics below show the additions once the GB was over. I have some 'first build' shots but none yet of the final result now it's done. I will get some taken as soon as I can do so, and post them soon after.

Lights006_zpsd773028e.jpg

RWRs004_zps22deb82c.jpg

A real missile launch receiver viewed through rear cockpit;

R_tu22m3_belaya_31_zpsa8e0b685.jpg

RWRs003_zps0593c026.jpg

Above; no rear MLR provided. Below real one;

w_tu22_43_zps32172dbf.jpg

Lights002_zps56504e56.jpg

Lights011_zps4a6d3b75.jpg

Lights018_zpse6d6fae1.jpg

And the final parts -the Kh-22 missiles.

Each missile has about 70 decals on it -I don't think I have built many AC with that number on TBH!

Now, I just have to take a few finished build piccies and post them; I'll do that when I find a nice backdrop to use, and wait for a dry day to take them outside to get good lighting (that could take some time looking at the current UK weather!!!).

Kh-22partF1010_zps241b7000.jpg

Kh22final002_zps289705c7.jpg

Kh22final014_zps3880cb91.jpg

Kh22final010_zps8e566842.jpg

Hi Gabor,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,Laz

Tripio -I found the link to the engine rear in the Ukraine;

http://armory.in.ua/product_info.php?products_id=32320

I wish I'd found this when I was building the kit! (although I cannot make sense of the price). Looks quite good I think. I can still alter my kit, but I'll think long and hard about it another time!

I will get round to taking completion pics as soon as I can.

Edited by Lunatech

Hi Gabor,

Thanks in advance.

Regards,Laz

It seems that Lunatech was faster than me with the ref to the Ukrainian Tu-22 engine exhaust. It looks very good and adds a lot to the kit. Of course its everyone own choice.

Hi Lunatech,

The set is this years new product so I am not surprised that you did not find it. My friend Oleg has drawn it to my attention. A lot of stuff (some excellent publications too) is made in the Ukraine, in Russia and in ex CCCP states. Its not easy to get them and lots of it goes unnoticed.

Love your work on the Trump kit :worship: , have to say that I am a bit coward to start work on my example. . .

Best regards

Gabor