Hasegawa 1/48 TF-104G

I've been fascinated by watching some of the other builds in progress here on ARC and figured I'd give a WIP thread a try. I certainly don't intend this to be an example of quality building skills or a disertation on the finer points of F-104s. I'm doing this to approach a build from a different angle and, therefore see if it will help with the final product. If anyone sees anything they'd like to chime in on, please do so. I'm ready to learn!

On to the build topic:

Hasegawa 1/48 TF-104G (graciously provided by Waco after winning a day on the 12 days of Christmas game. Thanks Waco! :wave: )

2013-01-18_15-37-16_11_zpsc4f7c38f.jpg

Going into the build will be an Aires cockpit set, the Scale Aircraft Conversions metal landing gear, a Master models pitot tube, and Quickboost F.O.D. covers. The current plan is to build this as a Norwegian 104 with an overall NMF with white wings. The build will be slow thanks to work, but I'll give this my best and hope anyone who checks in will enjoy themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

Falcon20driver,

This is starting out well, but the bang seats are wrong for Norwegian F-104's as they used the C2 seat until the end of service while with the RNoAF. The C2 seats should be in the original kit.

The Eagle Strike sheet you have pictured also provide markings for an F-104G, not TF-104G as you intend to build. For the best RNoAF F-104 decals you should try www.vingtor.net - they have the best sources and provide the best decals :)

Niels, thanks for the heads up on that. I noticed the issue with the decals but had been unable to find any that matched my intended goal(dual seat, bare metal). I was planning on some mixing and matching with the eagle strike and kit decals to try and bring about my planned goal. I'll be sure to check out the decals you mentioned. The kit was slightly started when I recieved it and I got rid of the kit seats that were partially done not thinking I would need them :doh:/> . I'll ponder the ejection seat dilema for now and consider what to do as the build progresses. Please keep up the feed back, I'm building for fun but always ready to learn something.

After looking up the photos I had found of the 104 I'm planning, I think I can sneak by with the decals I have. I'm planning the plane with 263 on the tail and a blue lightning bolt on each drop tank. I'm hoping to get it done with paint and some mixing and matching from the spares box.

Edited by falcon20driver

Anytime!

Here is a thread about the Vingtor F-104 decals I refer to - it is in Norwegian, however many good pictures and profiles for your needs.

http://www.ipmsnorge.org/forum/index.php?topic=2374.90

http://www.vingtor.net/decals/VingtorDecals_48-008.jpg

This Vingtor sheet cover the 63-72 period, whereby the fighters still carried squadron letters and codes. From 1972, this was changed to numbers only.

C2-seats:

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/AIRE4102

I was able to spend some time today on the 104 while getting ready for work. I got the base color down on the cockpit and while that was drying I broke out the tip tanks and got started on them. After fitting them together and gluing them, I pulled out the foil and got started on "metalizing" the plane. Foiling sure is a time consuming and frustrating endeavor but what a result. The best part is no paint fumes and infinite redos!

Hers's a quick shot of the first tank foiled and the second one ready for foiling.

2013-02-05_18-28-21_938_zps910614d3.jpg

Hopefully the seats show up soon and I can get the tub finished and ready to install.

As usual, any comments or advice is more than welcome!

• 2 weeks later...

After some fiddling and fussing and fuming, plans have changed slightly. Still going with the origional paint scheme, but changing over to a diorama build replicating a 104 that sat out front of an airport I used to fly out of. Updated photos will be posted in a day or two, after the fuselage haves half been joined and cockpit windows painted to the appropriate color.

After finally getting some time at home I was able to get a little work done. As previously mentioned this build has changed into being a dio that resembles a 104 I saw a lot in a past life. That 104 had it's windows painted a light blue on the inside and I decided to replicate that look. Eventually it will be set on faux concrete blocks in a grassy area with a rope around it.

The first picture shows the fuselage joined with the now painted canopy installed.

2013-02-18_18-57-15_457_zps78198a63.jpg

The next two photos show the beginning stages of foiling on the fuselage and the instillation of the nose cone. I wanted to foil behind the intakes before installing them because it would be awfully difficult to lay the foil down after their instillation.

2013-02-23_20-42-56_96_zpsb7cdd570.jpg

2013-02-23_20-43-43_321_zps887e0370.jpg

I also did some experimenting with finishes to attempt to replicate the tired look of the 104 sitting outside for all those years. It seemed that using steal wool and a flat finish did a pretty good job of replicating that old unused metal look. Theres a long way to go but I'm enjoying the learning lessons associated with this build. Thanks for watching!

Sweet how did you manage to get that foil so shiny???

whats that blue on the canopy ?? pre cut mask?

I painted the interior of the canopy that color blue to match the look of a real 104 sitting on display in front of a small airport in Indiana. I haven't had time to foil the canopy frames yet, so it looks a little akward for now. As for the foil, I just used bare metal foil matte aluminum and applied it as is. I burnish it down with cotton swabs, but past that I've done nothing to it. It'll be much duller once I put the final touches on it to make it look old and tired.

Here is the latest status of the 104 build. I removed the canopy in order to facilitate the upcoming stages of the build. I've also painted and added the intakes to the plane and continued the foiling process. It's slow going right now thanks to other commitments but I'm enjoying the process and learning a ton as I go. My main goal out of this build is to learn the foiling process in order to apply that knowledge into a P-38 build in the near future.

2013-02-28_19-05-14_939_zps3760dfc3.jpg

:wave: thanks for looking

here are two photos of a panel on the 104 before and after using steel wool to dull down the shine and make it look more tired. I used 0000 steel wool to accomplish this. The first picture is BMF matte aluminum applied with nothing further done to it. The second picture shows the same panel after a firm rub down with the steel wool and a cleaning with alcohol and cotton swabs to remove the "metal dust". I like the way this dulls down the metal to a more worn look.

2013-03-07_18-52-45_489_zps50f4f1ae.jpg

2013-03-07_19-00-12_738_zps0c83684a.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

Finally, back home with some free time. I started with some dry fitting of the wings and then glued the control surfaces to the wings. I decided to droop the flaps and DLEs for two reasons. One being I really like the way it looks and two its gonna be a tired bird parked for quite awhile so I figured they were left that way after years of neglect. Whether right or wrong that's how I liked it! I'm also working on discoloring the foil for the tail sections of the plane. I've had some success and failure so far with the technique and plan to finish the discoloration over the next two days. Hopefully I'll have photos up of the different colored foil by Wednesday (maybe). Here's a few photos of the 104 as it sits, minus a few more foiled areas finished since the photos were taken.

2013-04-07_16-16-41_510_zpsbbfb56c2.jpg

2013-04-07_17-13-47_943_zps7286a805.jpg

I hope you like the progress. I'm ready to get this one finished to start the important project I have planned next.

Alrighty, I was able to put some hours in the past couple days and make some good progress. I was able to paint the wings, finish foiling the tip tanks (except the fins which haven't been attached yet), and most importantly start on the tail section. After some playing around I was able to get some foil to look like it was "hot metal". I certainly haven't mastered the technique yet and will continue to play it on future builds. The following photos show the tail section with "hot foil" applied. Please note I haven't finished it yet and the details haven't been burnished into the foil. Also the center shinier section on the tail hasn't been finalized yet. Work in progress! The final photo shows all the progress in one photo. I'm thinking of turning this one into an inflight model, because the 104 looks so cool! Any comments appreciated as always.

2013-04-09_19-50-22_450_zps7594d6a6.jpg

2013-04-09_19-50-35_340_zps46f8007e.jpg

2013-04-09_20-02-28_151_zps51591fd6.jpg

Looks good . How did you get that darker foil effect?

Awhile back I asked someone in the tools and tips section how to do it. I got pointed in the direction of this. I used a mason jar with sealing lid, pennies, lead weights and chlorine. I cut up sections of foil and put them into the mason jar with the pennies and lead. Then I poured the chlorine in and started removing the foil pieces hourly. I still need to play with the technique to develop different colors. Don't use the concentrated bleach, ask how I know!

Great build! Are you using BMF or just store bought aluminum foil?

Thanks. I'm using a combination of both. For the majority of the build I'm using BMF, but on the tail areas I'm using normal foil. The BMF is just a million times easier to use, but I needed the normal foil to create the discolored effect. I also used normal foil in a few other areas to create a slightly different look from the BMF. I'll have some more updates next weekend after I get home and get some work done.