1/48 and 1/32 P-61B out

I wonder how come the "Lady in the Dark" outfit is blue in the 1/48 offering but red in the 1/32 offering. It's also amazing to see how you can scale up a plane by just a little bit and it's enough to make the price quadruple.

Eric

I wonder how come the "Lady in the Dark" outfit is blue in the 1/48 offering but red in the 1/32 offering. It's also amazing to see how you can scale up a plane by just a little bit and it's enough to make the price quadruple.

Eric

1/48 to 1/32 scale is technically 50% larger in linear dimensions. But don't think 1-dimensionally, we are talking roughly volume, so that volume in crease is CUBED, not x3. And thats just plastic, not the tooling steel which is MUCH more expensive. Don't forget packaging, shipping, overheads.

So a quadruple in price isn't so rediculous. Kit prices in general may be rediculous however :whistle:

1/48 to 1/32 scale is technically 50% larger in linear dimensions. But don't think 1-dimensionally, we are talking roughly volume, so that volume in crease is CUBED, not x3. And thats just plastic, not the tooling steel which is MUCH more expensive. Don't forget packaging, shipping, overheads.

So a quadruple in price isn't so rediculous. Kit prices in general may be rediculous however :whistle:/>/>

Completely agree. I know that there's a bit more involved but it still comes as sticker shock when my ears hear the jump from sixty-some-odd dollars all the way up to two-hundred-and-some-odd dollars. I mean, it completely skipped right over the $100 range!

I remember as a kid having a Revell P-51 in both 1/48 and 1/32 scale. Maybe I paid $12 for the 1/48 version but I don't remember paying $48 (4x $12) for the 1/32 version. I might have paid closer to $30 instead.

Weren't the Great Wall P-61s about $98 in 1/48 scale? I can't imagine a 1/32 GW version coming out for $392. I can only imagine that would be a big turn-off for lots of people. I believe the tooling costs, advertising, packaging plays a big part in establishing the price but I can't help but think that model companies try to see how far up they can push the prices simply because they can.

Eric

Edited by echolmberg

Completely agree. I know that there's a bit more involved but it still comes as sticker shock when my ears hear the jump from sixty-some-odd dollars all the way up to two-hundred-and-some-odd dollars. I mean, it completely skipped right over the $100 range!

I remember as a kid having a Revell P-51 in both 1/48 and 1/32 scale. Maybe I paid $12 for the 1/48 version but I don't remember paying $48 (4x $12) for the 1/32 version. I might have paid closer to $30 instead.

Weren't the Great Wall P-61s about $98 in 1/48 scale? I can't imagine a 1/32 GW version coming out for $392. I can only imagine that would be a big turn-off for lots of people. I believe the tooling costs, advertising, packaging plays a big part in establishing the price but I can't help but think that model companies try to see how far up they can push the prices simply because they can.

Eric

Keep in mind we are often paying the mark-up from dristributors and not just the kit manufacturer's mark-ups. Big overheads for distributors they need to hedge.

I know exaclty the story you mention on the Monogram P-51 1/48th vs 1/32. There are a few such examples out there. These were domestic kits and we now have an international market. These are older kits too and tooling back then was simpler (raised lines, less detils) than we have today. Tools than had more labor involved where today they are CAD/CAM technology. Strange how that never made things any cheaper... :whistle:/> 1/32 kits today are a differnt beast too, more details and more parts than a 1/48 kit.

Edited by toadwbg

On a more positive note, I hope that the prices on this and any future 1/32 P-61 come down a little bit. The Black Widow is my all-time favorite aircraft of all time. I'd definitely make sacrifices to have this one in my collection. I might have to go back to donating plasma but it just might be worth it once I open up that box and see the giant bits of plastic waiting to be put together!

Eric

Keep in mind we are often paying the mark-up from dristributors and not just the kit manufacturer's mark-ups. Big overheads for distributors they need to hedge.

This is correct. One of the upshots to living in China is that here Chinese kits from Trumpeter, Hobby Boss, etc, are on average 50% of the street price in the US. Kits from companies outside of China are about the same price as you would find in the US, although they are scarcer.

I want a 1/32 P-61. Now at that price I don't see that happening in this lifetime.

Alot of new kits are becoming lottery kits. just like a lottery car. This means when I hit the lottery I will finally fulfill a lifelong dream to own a Corvette. It also means I will be getting a 1/32nd P-61, B-17, Su-27, Skyraider, yayda yada yada....

Max Bryant