Hello all.

This was in the discount section at Hobby Lobby for $1. It is supposed to be for Cub Scout pine wood derby cars. I couldn't pass it up for a buck.

ARCWhifGB201302_zps3b321843.png

I wasn't sure what to do with it but I have had this OV-10 kit in my stash for atleast 10 years. The upgrade parts for it are hard to find and expensive now so I don't think it will ever be built as an OV-10 like I had hoped.

Hopefully these two items will be combined to make some futuristic thingamajig.

ARCWhifGB201303_zps79abad5a.jpg

I miss these old kit boxes.

ARCWhifGB201304_zpsd587611b.jpg

I remember looking at all the pictures on the back of these boxes and I just had to build these kits because of all the cool pictures. I wish they would go back to this.

Els

The butchery has begun. I chopped some out of the wing and body:

ARCWhifGB201308_zpsc736abbe.jpg

I am going for this:

ARCWhifGB201305_zpsb824213e.jpg

ARCWhifGB201307_zps65dc78ee.jpg

Since the cockpit section only has the upper torso of the driver figure I used my Dremel to thin the plastic on the bottom so that I could trim around the driver/pilot.

ARCWhifGB201309_zps0ce28d1b.jpg

ARCWhifGB201310_zpse884670d.jpg

Tomorrow I will start sculpting the rest of the cockpit, seat and pilots body.

Els

I was able to get a little done on this.

The pilot needed a body so some extra sprue was glued in to give a frame for the putty.

ARCWhifGB201311_zpsf9cf64d1.jpg

ARCWhifGB201312_zpse6a56981.jpg

Then a body was sculpted. It is a bit plain now but after the straps and stuff are added it should be fine.

ARCWhifGB201314_zps1048f15a.jpg

Here it is after the first round of puttying the sides.

ARCWhifGB201315_zps048482f3.jpg

Its coming along.

Els

Thanks for the painting ideas. Wege, I am not sure what to say about your idea. I do like the baby seal part though. Bigasshammm, your idea would be cool but I don't have a decal sheet. I have been thinking about trying to freehand a paintjob for a while and I think I will try it out on this kit. If it doesn't work out I can just sand it down and start over. I am going to try something like this float plane, hopefully this link will work. My link

I started by cutting a piece of paper to the shape of the side of the aircraft. I then drew my idea on with a soft lead pencil on both sides.

ARCWhifGB201321_zpsf1e34efb.jpg

I then put it on the kit and went over it with a pencil again. This left some of the lead on the kit so I could follow the pattern with thinned paint. This way it will be mostly the same on each side.

ARCWhifGB201322_zpsff560153.jpg

ARCWhifGB201323_zps08ca700b.jpg

I started painting in the red around it to get a sense of the color.

ARCWhifGB201323_zps08ca700b.jpg

Then I started the basic shading of the teeth and eyes. I went in with my airbrush to put a couple of stripes but I should have cleaned it better after doing all the stripes on the rest of the aircraft because it was sputtering all over the place. Now I will have to clean that up.

ARCWhifGB201326_zpsfacb8d1c.jpg

Now I have the large black sections blocked in.

ARCWhifGB201327_zpsc2ce2a66.jpg

I will go in later once the clear coat has dried and start shading the mouth and eyes with some colored pencils.

I also worked on the pilot for a while. Started by adding some headphones.

ARCWhifGB201318_zpsb7308da1.jpg

and straps/buckles and something to indicate a canopy release. I will add a few more details later.

ARCWhifGB201319_zps705a8f02.jpg

Wege, I googled Dennis Leary songs and found that one, its pretty funny.

The pilot is finished. It is for a pinewood derby car so it is not all that detailed. I added earphones, microphone and Tamiya tape harness for him.

ARCWhifGB201328_zpsf295f8d2.jpg

ARCWhifGB201329_zps137b46ce.jpg

I tinted the canopy with some Tamiya smoke but I think it is to dark now. I will have to try and take some of it back off with Windex.

ARCWhifGB201330_zpse4ffbff2.jpg

Its getting close to being finished now. All that is left is to finish off the base and do the props. Maybe tomorrow.

Els