Just what I always wanted for my birthday!

So my b-day was Saturday, and b/c it was a long weekend, I decided to spend the weekend at my mom's place so I could do some work on my truck involving the welder I own (but cant keep at my apartment)

Saturday went great, got some work done, then did the b-day stuff in the evening.

Went back out yesterday morning to get more work done, and in the process of using my grinder w/ a sanding flap disk to clean the parts up prior to welding, I got my finger caught between the edge of the sanding disk and the guard, and took a nice chunk of meat out of my right index finger. Mom rushed me to the urgent care where I received 4 stitches to pull the finger back together.

Talk about an excellent b-day present to myself!

Edited by Adam Baker

Hmm, must be goin' around this year. For my last birthday (Apr 15), I went to the eye doctor and had my eye "drilled". Yep, "DRILLED"!

I was doing some work on my classic car, also involving welding and grinding, but my story differs from there. I was grinding WITH safety glasses on, and somehow, two tiny fragments of steel got lodged in my right eye. The doc told me they had been in there for 2 or 3 days and he could tell by the rust spots in my iris. When he told me that, I remembered when I felt them hit my eye around my safety glasses, but I didn't feel anything in there right when it happened, so I had thought they just bounced out or whatever.

So my eye started bothering me about 5pm the day before my birthday. That night I spotted the pieces in my eye and began to worry when they wouldn't move and my eye wasn't congealing around them. The next morning it was clear I needed to see an eye doc, my eye was Ferrari red.

Anyway, once he saw what the problem was and told me, I asked him, "soooo, how do we get them out?" ...."oh, I'm going to drill them out." .... "you're going to DRILL them out!!!!ohmy.gif

So panic sets in, the thought of any kind of "work" being done on my eye don't sit well with me, but all in all, he put a bunch of drops in my eye, numbed it, and proceeded to use what we came to an agreement on, was essentially a super micro Dremel tool. So of course as I'm getting my eye drilled, I'm thinking of how AWESOME it would be to have one of these micro dremels for use at the bench!

It was my birthday after all! biggrin.gif

Well, no luck with that, but except for a few days of extreme light sensitivity and redness, my eye healed up just fine.

So, I know the feeling, though yours sounds FAR more painful! Were you wearing leather gloves? I had a handful (pun?) of times where my glove got sucked into the grinding disc and I was sure happy I had my gloves on.

Speed recovery to ya!

You here people say all the time "Man he got drilled right in the eye", so would it be safe to say you got drilled right in the eye? HA HA just kiddin! By the way, happy birthday Adam!

Remember, blood tastes like ketchup!!!!

I was wearing gloves, but unfortunately it was a pair of light leather welding glove since I was more worried about the slag coming off the sanding disk. I had a pair of Kevlar reinforced gloves that I had been wearing, but I managed to melt the material over the knuckles b/c the metal get a lot hotter than I expected so I wasn't wearing those. I'm willing to get if I'd been wearing those, I either wouldn't have this at all, or it wouldn't have been nearly as bad.

Hmm, must be goin' around this year. For my last birthday (Apr 15), I went to the eye doctor and had my eye "drilled". Yep, "DRILLED"!

I was doing some work on my classic car, also involving welding and grinding, but my story differs from there. I was grinding WITH safety glasses on, and somehow, two tiny fragments of steel got lodged in my right eye. The doc told me they had been in there for 2 or 3 days and he could tell by the rust spots in my iris. When he told me that, I remembered when I felt them hit my eye around my safety glasses, but I didn't feel anything in there right when it happened, so I had thought they just bounced out or whatever.

So my eye started bothering me about 5pm the day before my birthday. That night I spotted the pieces in my eye and began to worry when they wouldn't move and my eye wasn't congealing around them. The next morning it was clear I needed to see an eye doc, my eye was Ferrari red.

Anyway, once he saw what the problem was and told me, I asked him, "soooo, how do we get them out?" ...."oh, I'm going to drill them out." .... "you're going to DRILL them out!!!!ohmy.gif

So panic sets in, the thought of any kind of "work" being done on my eye don't sit well with me, but all in all, he put a bunch of drops in my eye, numbed it, and proceeded to use what we came to an agreement on, was essentially a super micro Dremel tool. So of course as I'm getting my eye drilled, I'm thinking of how AWESOME it would be to have one of these micro dremels for use at the bench!

It was my birthday after all! biggrin.gif

Well, no luck with that, but except for a few days of extreme light sensitivity and redness, my eye healed up just fine.

So, I know the feeling, though yours sounds FAR more painful! Were you wearing leather gloves? I had a handful (pun?) of times where my glove got sucked into the grinding disc and I was sure happy I had my gloves on.

Speed recovery to ya!

Haha, yes Don, I do have a few pics. Nothing of the initial injury, but I have a couple of it stitched up that I took Sunday night.