Airfix Space Shuttle (1978) 1/144

I actually got my hands on, (ahh, not yet, but... it's on it's way.) a 1978 Space Shuttle from Airfix.

It was adverticed as a Rare kit

kqgz.jpg

As i remember this, it should be like the first ever Space shuttle kit i glued together at the age of 12 in 1982.

Have no idea how i got my mom to buy me that... Just that i wanted it so bad.

I honestly think it will become a collectible, non build kit. Sorry for that.

I will post some more info and some real Pictures when the kit arrives.

Hope you will be satisfied with that decision.

But i did how ever also get a new edition 1/144 kit with it, so that will go together.

Rene'

Edited by x3mperformance

Rene',

I have one of these myself as well as a few other issues of this kit. I'm not sure myself how the value of these old releases will hold up with this kit recently re-issued. I don't see them selling for too much right now. Maybe in a few years they will go up in value. However it is an open kit, which is good since you know for sure all the contents of the box are complete. You can hold off building it for a while to see what happens but even old model kits were meant to be built.

Mike.

Rene',

I have one of these myself as well as a few other issues of this kit. I'm not sure myself how the value of these old releases will hold up with this kit recently re-issued. I don't see them selling for too much right now. Maybe in a few years they will go up in value. However it is an open kit, which is good since you know for sure all the contents of the box are complete. You can hold off building it for a while to see what happens but even old model kits were meant to be built.

Mike.

Just my thoughts.

I gave only a small ammount for it, so my reason is not profit, but pure nostalgia.

I could simply not resist.

Shopping like maniak on E-bay at the moment.

Rene'

I've done the same and have all the issues of this kit including the US Airfix and the Smithsonian issues. The only issue of this kit I don't have is the version sold in the US by MPC. The MPC version is the exact same tooling that Airfix used. At some time years ago MPC and Airfix shared some of their tools.

I like the original boxing because it has Enterprise as the shuttle's name on the box.

Yours looks to be in great condition.

Edited by crowe-t

I've done the same and have all the issues of this kit including the US Airfix and the Smithsonian issues. The only issue of this kit I don't have is the version sold in the US by MPC. The MPC version is the exact same tooling that Airfix used. At some time years ago MPC and Airfix shared some of their tools.

I like the original boxing because it has Enterprise as the shuttle's name on the box.

Yours looks to be in great condition.

By the Picture it looks good.

I just hope it is a actually Picture, as i ripped it of the add from the seller of my kit on E-bay.

I'll post pictures of the real kit and details when the kit arrives.

Well.

I got my kit today.

And i'm thrilled.

Super fast delivery from a super serious seller, Ahh, that's almost an Understatement!!!

The box was 100% un-opend.

The tape used to seal the box, looks like 1978. :-)

Shaiking fingers cutting that seal.................

The box is full of Space Shuttle.

And the paper the instructions are printed on, are Yellow by the nick of time.

NICE!

The decal set is yellow, but 100% intact.

And people stating that Monogram, Tamiya or Revell kit have a bad decal sheet, should be expelled from this earth. ;-)

The plastic feels solid and yet brittle.

But nothing you would not expect in a kit, 35 years old.

And the kit.

Take a look.

kl0n.jpg

a3l7.jpg

ietc.jpg

ej1c.jpg

qj8l.jpg

hng3.jpg

hla0.jpg

2vtu.jpg

7py9.jpg

zl3t.jpg

Details.

u8rv.jpg

2ivd.jpg

js82.jpg

7ajz.jpg

49hh.jpg

hng3.jpg

69jn.JPG

I actually must admid...

This is not the kit i glued together in 82/83.

That kit actually had a launch platform.

But i am amazed about the detailing here.

However the Intertank's ribbed section is missing, as the most obvious, at a first glance.

It is a nice kit.

And i think i actually are going to build it.

I just save it now to compare to the Airfix kit...

A quick comment on the vintage box art: SRBs and ET jettisoned at the same time AND the orbiter's SSMEs are still burning!!!! :rolleyes:

Not to mention the orbiter is the Enterprise!!! :rolleyes:

Edited by crowe-t

Keep it for nostalgia purposes if you like. The kit itself is considered the best overall shuttle in 1/144, even though all of them have shortcomings. If you want to build one, get the latest red box release. The decal sheet is extensive, and it and instructions are light years ahead of even the immediately previous boxing, with thermal blanket patterns depicted for each orbiter by time period. The new instructions/decals add great value to this legacy kit. The only negative is for some reason Airfix decided to mold it in the same gray as most of their other recent releases. Stupid choice there, but the rest is a huge step forward.

Edited by DutyCat

Keep it for nostalgia purposes if you like. The kit itself is considered the best overall shuttle in 1/144, even though all of them have shortcomings. If you want to build one, get the latest red box release. The decal sheet is extensive, and it and instructions are light years ahead of even the immediately previous boxing, with thermal blanket patterns depicted for each orbiter by time period. The new instructions/decals add great value to this legacy kit. The only negative is for some reason Airfix decided to mold it in the same gray as most of their other recent releases. Stupid choice there, but the rest is a huge step forward.

Thanks. (Also for not commenting on the incorrectly box art, made from an artist, guessing 3-4 years before the first shuttle launch.)

The Red Box is on it's way, and that will be put together.

I'm just not sure of in wich configuration.

Might go with the tribute of my 1/72 kit, of Columbia, and could be of STS-1.

Rene'

That is a pretty cool find as the box is in nice shape. I've got several shuttle model kits in my own collection as well. I know monetarily they aren't worth that much, but they are still part of my childhood as I even went out of my way to locate a USAirfix boxing of the 1/144 Airfix shuttle stack for my collection because I built one back in 1979-80.

As for the Airfix artwork, I always thought it was pretty neat. But, my personal favorite was the Moonraker version, which altered the artwork a little bit (pictured on the left below).

boxart1sm.jpg