I have a fellow member in Civil Air Patrol that was a crew chief on the B-58 for a few years. I thought I would surprise him and do a drawing of the plane he worked on. what do you think??

B-58_zps925e93bf.jpg

Very nice drawing, I wish I had that kind of talent. The tail numbers maybe look a bit small to me, if you want honest critique, but close enough, no reason to change them. I hope you can ask your friend if he has any good photos of the Hustler, and get them posted where we can see them if he does. There are some excellent photos on the several sites dedicated to the B-58, but we could always use more! That was such an awe inspiring airplane, I sure wish they were still flying them.

Thanks for posting your very nice illustration!

Scott W.

Looks great Vince!

The Hustler was such a cool looking design ...

Just a suggestion but it seems a little "busy" under the profile yet sparse above ...

Again, really nice ...

-Gregg

Looks great Vince!

The Hustler was such a cool looking design ...

Just a suggestion but it seems a little "busy" under the profile yet sparse above ...

Again, really nice ...

-Gregg

Thanks for the comments! I guess I was so worried about trying to paint something to look like its not paint (bare-metal) I didn't think about balancing the picture. But I think I have and idea.

According to the TO 1-1-4 the tail number should be 12 inches tall and since the draw in 1/1 scale on the computer that what I went with. Not saying it could have been changed out in the field.

I just scanned a bunch of B-58 slides and posted them in the Research forum. I think I see what bothered me about the tail number on your beautiful illustration. I am pretty sure the digits should have a little more space between them, check out the photos of 55-0668, 59-2440 and 61-2080 I posted. I think you are correct you have the right size digits though.

Scott

B-58_zps925e93bf.jpg

Very, very fine artwork, you have skills others will envy :thumbsup: :thumbsup: .

Strange, but I just realized how much the forward fuselage of the Bone, resembles the forward fuselage of the Hustler, I guess Rockwell found that Convair was on to something with very high speed bombers.

Just my opinion - too busy with the other aircraft. Change the background color - move the SAC badge to the center - enlarge it - and make it faded so as not to overpower the aircraft. Put the Squadron Badge in place of the SAC patch.

It will be a great gift - that jet is just one sexy beast :)

Hitch