Have a question regarding the main rotor on the Bell cobra. I have an old 1/32 Aurora Cobra that is a glue bomb which I want to rebuild into a Fire Copter like what the US Forest service has.

222357828_b329e413be_z_zps7a0602f4.jpg

My question is that the mast rotor in the Aurora kit looks like a 14 penny nail and I want to change it. I have a spare Revell Huey and was going to swap the rotors and then I noticed the Cobra does not have counter weights, How does the Cobra and Jet Ranger masts work without the hardware the Huey has?

Cobra mast

Bell_AH-1_Sea_Cobra_zpsba0020db.jpg

JetRanger mast

5452061841_b2e8affc73_z_zpsbaaad8ce.jpg

Huey mast

01BellUH1HueyHelicopter_zps4123b1d9.jpg

Could I get away with removing the counter weight system from the Huey mast?

greg

You can't get there from here. None of those rotors are the same. The Cobra uses the Bell 540 rotor system. It would be easier to build your own. Google B-540. I'm sure that you'll find what you need. Your biggest issue will be remaking the forward canopy into the framework of an AH-1F. Of course a brand new nose, wings, tail rotor. I've thought about it but it would be a lot of work. The canopy is also very different than an AH-1F with the canopies being bulged on both sides.

Floyd

You can't get there from here. None of those rotors are the same. The Cobra uses the Bell 540 rotor system. It would be easier to build your own. Google B-540. I'm sure that you'll find what you need. Your biggest issue will be remaking the forward canopy into the framework of an AH-1F. Of course a brand new nose, wings, tail rotor. I've thought about it but it would be a lot of work. The canopy is also very different than an AH-1F with the canopies being bulged on both sides.

Floyd

How about using the rotor from MRC kit Charlie Model....wouldnt that work?

Oliver