Anyone have any idea what the pod is that the 13th MEU Harriers are carrying over Somalia? Targeting pod centerline, but there is pod with two swept blade aerials forward being carried on the left middle pylon. I'd post a picture but my tablet is not playing along.

Cheers,

Dave

That's the one. Thanks for the pic assist. Anybody got any ideas?

Cheers,

Dave

Interesting. If it's being carried over (semi)hostile like Somalia, it rules out some sort of training device. Since there is pretty much zero AA threat in Somalia, my $ is on some sort of intel gathering pod, maybe designed to capture cell phone conversations? Purely a guess....

Maybe it's the operational variant of the mentionend ALQ-231 "Intrepid Tiger" pod?

I've found this:

http://aviationintel.com/harriers-to-get-modular-electronic-surveillance-and-attack-pod/

and that:

http://www.navair.navy.mil/img/uploads/Intrepid%20Tiger%20II%20CC2.JPG

Edited by Lancer512

Interesting. If it's being carried over (semi)hostile like Somalia, it rules out some sort of training device.

That is not entirely true. The 13th MEU is currently on a standard deployment to the Horn of Africa, with most operations being conducted in Djibuoti. Training sorties, as well as live fire training are routinely done during these deployments. Flying over Somalia while on a training mission is entirely plausible.

Maybe it's the operational variant of the mentionend ALQ-231 "Intrepid Tiger" pod?

I've found this:

http://aviationintel.com/harriers-to-get-modular-electronic-surveillance-and-attack-pod/

and that:

http://www.navair.navy.mil/img/uploads/Intrepid%20Tiger%20II%20CC2.JPG

Cool.

ALQ-231 Intrepid Tiger Pod

Description:

The Intrepid Tiger II (IT II) is a precision Electronic Warfare (EW) pod designed to provide U.S.Marine Corps fixed, and rotary wing aircraft with a distributed, adaptable and net-centric Airborne Electronic Attack (AEA) capability that can be controlled from the cockpit or by a ground operator.

An open architecture design and rapid reprogrammability will give IT II the flexibility and adaptability to meet current and future threats.

IT II will be the first deployable hardware in support of the Marine Air Ground Task Force EW 2020 vision of a distributed, networked approach to EW that is designed to meet warfighter demand for Electronic Attack (EA) with both capability and capacity.

Pretty cool stuff. I'd love to hear some details but my guess is that this blurb will be as good as it gets for quite some time.

• 1 month later...

Can sombody explain to me why this harrier has the early type Harrier nose?

Please explain the differences?

It has a night attack nose with FLIR fairing. Not all of the USMC's Harriers were upgraded to AV-8B+ standard with APG-65, they still maintain an operational fleet of AV-8B NA

It has a night attack nose with FLIR fairing. Not all of the USMC's Harriers were upgraded to AV-8B+ standard with APG-65, they still maintain an operational fleet of AV-8B NA

Thank you. So if i want to build an early AV-8B in the green/gray scheme

could i use the Hasegawa "Night Attack" boxing. What are the differences between a NA Harrier and an early AV-8B?

I guess, i have to remove (or not install) the FLIR fairing and the chaff and flare dispensers.

What else?

Edited by nonrivetcounter

Thank you. So if i want to build an early AV-8B in the green/gray scheme

could i use the Hasegawa "Night Attack" boxing. What are the differences between a NA Harrier and an early AV-8B?

I guess, i have to remove (or not install) the FLIR fairing and the chaff and flare dispensers.

What else?

No FLIR, flare dispensers and use the short intake at the base of the tail (IIRC the kit provides both).

No FLIR, flare dispensers and use the short intake at the base of the tail (IIRC the kit provides both).

Technically, you still can't build an accurate standard day attack Harrier using the AV-8B NA kit. The NA kit has the 100% LERX, while the day attack used the 65% LERX.

I have a Revell GR7/GR9 Harrier in the stash. Is there a possibility to use the LERX

of the HAS NA boxing for the british GR9 Revell Harrier (according to this site GR9s

use the 100% LERX also http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/69792-raf-harrier-lerx/ )

And install the REVELL 65%LERX to build an early AV-8B? This does only work if the

US und british LERXs are identical. Are they?

Could i use the the 65% LERX of the Revell(Hasegawa) GR7/GR9 for the Hasegawa Night Attack boxing

to build an Day Attack Harrier and the Hasegawa "Night Attack" 100% LERX to build an GR9 with 100%LERX?

Edited by nonrivetcounter