Hasegawa 1/72 F/A-18F Jolly Rogers

First entry for this GB.... Can't wait to start next Tuesday! :woot.gif:

20140607_224628_zps3u8vq10i.jpg

I'll be building this in-flight, mounted on this:

IMG_5993_zps083892ef.jpg

... next to my Academy F-14A Jolly Rogers...

IMG_6160_zps70d6b78d.jpg

I'll be building this in parallel to the Revell F/A-18F Jolly Rogers

Edited by Mike C
  • 2 weeks later...

Sprayed the gas bags with LifeColor FS36375.

IMG_6578_zps6043cbf2.jpg

Note that when I took the pic, I buffed the left one with a cotton cloth, but not the other, hence the very very subtle difference in shade. I believe this is due to the light reflective property of the different texture due to the buffing. Since then, I also buffed the right one.

Canopies after dipping in Pascoe's Long Life... One for this bird, the other for the EA-18G CONA.

IMG_6572_zps8439badd.jpg

Mike

Can you poet a pic of the label of the pascoes long life? I've never heard of the stuff before. I always dip my canopies in future. I lioe to see the labels on modeling products i have never heard of. Thanks in advance! Keep up the good work!!!

Here's what the bottle looks like:

IMG_4868_zps794728bf.jpg

Here's what the liquid looks like:

IMG_4871_zpsbdf207fb.jpg

I think it's Australian. Not sure if it's available anywhere else.

Company's website: www.pascoes.com.au

Edited by Mike C

Available in New Zealand too, Bunnings has it. I'm watching this as I'm getting a Jolly Rogers phase coming over me. ;) Probably go with the Revell one of these though.

Whose decals are those, the glare from your light makes it hard to see & its not one I'm familiar with?

Steve.

Mike

It looks like it is basically the same as Future floor care here in the states. I thought it might be a new or un heard of modeling item ( at least to me). Im always looking for stuff that can be used. I will be building a Jolly Rogers bird as well. I will be using the Hasegawa 1/72 kit and decals. Thanks for the reply on the pic bud!!!

Steve

I believe those are Jasmine Model Decals hes using.

Edited by tosouthern66

Yes, I'm using Jasmine Decals. I haven't used them before, so not sure what they're like. They look quite thin. Hopefully they're not fragile... Print quality looks quite good though. What surprised me about these decals is that they actually supplied seat belt in a form of decals, which I think is quite a nice touch, especially for those barren Hasegawa seats. Since I'm building this bird as in-flight, I'll be putting pilots in the cockpit, so I won't be using the seat belt decals. I'll use them for the EA-18G, instead.

Jasmine decals are indeed very thin, but You should be ok. I've used this set few months ago and did not find them too fragile.

This bird will look nice next to a Tomcat! You can never have too many Jolly Roger birds :D

Deviating from the instruction sheet again, I mated the front fuselage with the lower main fuselage first, rather than mating the two main fuselage halves. This allows me to minimise the gap on the join between front and rear fuselages that I used to get all the time in my previous 2 Hasegawa Super Hornets.

IMG_6613_zpsfba42ea2.jpg

"Turtle back" and rear IP hood installed. I used Tamiya X-18 semi-gloss black. It's my favorite black paint! Sprays wonderfully (especially when thinned with methylated spirit @ 50:50), producing a very nice, smooth, semi-gloss finish. I'll "weather" the IP hood and the cockpit bulkhead by dry-brushing with something metallic later (either Citadel Chainmail or Mithril Silver).

IMG_6614_zpsa18d2c92.jpg

Glued on the cockpit tub and the exhaust turbines to their respective places...

IMG_6615_zpsdff22fc6.jpg

Was going to write something smart... but this last picture brings sooooo much memories ;)

For a quite expensive kit the Hasegawa Super Bug is You could expect better fit, eh?

Nevermind :) Keep up the good work! :cheers:

• 2 weeks later...

Wings on... For some reason, the wings fit much better than my previous two Hasegawa "F" builds. There was minimal seam line between the wing and the fuselage.

20140816_220743_zpsadx7jnon.jpg

20140816_220754_zpssfejojic.jpg

20140816_220806_zpsxsa3h6ww.jpg

Applied some Tamiya White Putty, let dry, then cleaned up the excess with cotton bud dampened with Tamiya lacquer thinner, then a bit of sanding using 1200-grit sandpaper.

20140817_142515_zpst8rq801g.jpg

20140817_142525_zpsgelr4tfn.jpg

20140817_142556_zpsxaqiddnf.jpg

DISASTER!!! I just realised that one of the jet exhaust nozzles is missing! I don't know how! I swear they never left the box! So, I'll have to put this one on hold until I can somehow get a replacement part. If anyone has any spare, kindly PM me, and we can come to an arrangement.