GWH 1/48 scale F-15C

Joel, your weapons look amazing! You've inspired me to bump my Mudhen build up to the next one in line and I hope it looks half as good as yours.

Falcon20drvier,

Thanks for those most kind words. After following your Hobby Boss 1/48 scale F-14 build, I have no doubt that you decision to build a Mudhen is the right one, and that your build will be the equal or better then mine. The truth is that mine is mostly Box Stock. A little details added here and there, but for me the build is all about the final presentation as a display model. That is the goal I strived for since day one. Sharing that type of effort and commitment with you and members here on ARC is not only important to me, but helps me stay focused for the journey.

Aren't you going to finish your Scooter 1st, as you're so close to primer at this point.

Joel

Joel,

Don't know how I missed this "In progress" build of yours. All I can say is, this is one incredible build!!! The details are spectacular!!! Keep up the awesome work! :thumbsup:/>

VA-115EFR,

Thanks so much for taking the time to post. Glad that you like my most modest efforts.

Joel

You've completed some very impressive work on this build. Looking forward to seeing the completed aircraft and following your next build.

Air to Air,

Thank you for appreciating my efforts on the Mudhen build. It's been quite a journey. Just one more final update to go, and the I'll be across the finish line. You're more then welcome to join in my next build, which at this point looks to be either the Eduard limited edition P-47D bubble top Jug, or Eduard's Limited Edition F-14A "Danger Zone". Either way, those are my next two builds.

Joel

The missiles and drop tanks look great. The decals really add to the overall effect! Can't wait to see more!

twhite80,

Thanks for stopping by. While I'm pushing my personal envelope with this build, I'm still a few rungs below you on the modeling ladder. Your twin F-15E build was spectacular.

Joel

Looking really good, Joel. Now I'm on the fence as to which to build after the Harrier - F-14 or F-15. Your build pulls me towards the latter even though I already have the F-14 on hand. By the way,has the mudhen nickname been around for a while? I see Fighting Falcons are now Vipers. Just glad Tom Turkey isn't as popular.

Hi Crackerjazz,

I'm most impressed that you've taken the time to check out my build from your amazing Harrier build. Your detailing is simply amazing. Either the F-14 or F15 is a great choice for next build. What's more important is whose kit you will use for the build. The GWH F-15C has to be the best model kit I've ever built hands down. I haven't built any F-14s so I can comment on any kits, other then referring you to Falcon20driver's latest build of the Hobby Boss kit. That does seem to be the current standard. Looking forward to your next update on the Harrier.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

No way, Falcon20driver! You finished your Scooter that quick?

I was starting it during the Tomcat build, and its my 3rd Scooter so I've learnt some tricks to speed up the build as well as improve the end product.

Joel, I really am excited to see this build finished up. And I'm excited to see whats next!

Been working on the final details all day, as I'm doing my two overnight shifts like I do every week starting tonight. All the antennas etc. have been attached. Same for the gear doors, and canopy sub assembly. Just have some detail painting to do and it's done, I'm over the finish line.

As for my next build it's a toss up between the Eduard limited edition P-47D bubble Jug or Eduard F-14A Danger Zone limited edition. Honestly, I really like to do the prop 1st, then the F-14A. You guys gotta remember that I'm a prop man from way back.

Joel

I'll be happy to see the Jug built up, but the Tomcat is where its at!

Falcon20driver,

The Eduard Limited Edition P-47D is a wealth of resin, PE, Colored PE, that really makes this a fascinating build which is way more then what the Academy kit ever designed to be. My goal with this kit is to do a much more refined and detailed NMF then what I did on the P-38L. For starters, I'm going to be using a variable colored base rather then just gloss black. I'm looking to recreate a well maintained operational aircraft, so it's not going to have a mile deep finish. For other areas of the aircraft, I'll be using different Alcad colors then the #101 Aluminum which will be the basic over all color.

As for my decision to go with a prop over a jet, my building plan has always been one prop, one jet. Being nearly 68 years old, I grew up in the late 50s through the 60s, where props to us is what jets are to your generation. Here on ARC, most prop builds really take a 2nd seat to an equal jet build. That's to be expected, but it doesn't diminish my enthusiasm for them.

Hopefully, you'll find some time to start by and checkout my progress throughout this build. On the other hand I'll be joining your for your F-15 build from the very start.

Joel

I can't wait to see the P-47. I didn't know the kit came with so many goodies. I hope to get the my F-15 started soon but we close on our new home today so between working on the house/moving and work in general, I probably won't bd able to start for a month. But, I'll have my new office to work in and I've got a special display idea up my sleeve that I'll think you'll enjoy.

I can't wait to see the P-47. I didn't know the kit came with so many goodies. I hope to get the my F-15 started soon but we close on our new home today so between working on the house/moving and work in general, I probably won't bd able to start for a month. But, I'll have my new office to work in and I've got a special display idea up my sleeve that I'll think you'll enjoy.

Falcon20driver,

Good luck with the new home, and with the move. It's been almost 36 years since we moved into our home, and we're still unpacking stuff that we find every so often. Our house use to be my main hobby as that's all I ever seemed to work on. Not so much these days. As a matter of fact my lovely wife has been extremely vocal that I spend way too much time modeling and nearly no time working around or on the house. The sad part is that she's right.

Having your own room/office/main cave is great. It's my favorite room of the house.

Looking forward to your idea for a special display.

Joel

Well, it's with mixed emotions that I'm posting my last update on the F-15C Eagle build. Yep, I finally made it to the finish line.

As I said from day one, GWH has surpassed all their previous 1/48 scale kits with their release of the F-15C Eagle. It is without a doubt the best engineered kit in terms of part fit, and part detail that I've ever had the pleasure to build. It is just that good. The only place that any putty was needed was the nose cone to fuselage seam.

In order to get there I had to add all the final pieces which were left off till the final stages of the build.

All the various antennas were added to the fuselage.

Both stations with loads added to the wings

AIM-120A ARAAMs along with their mounting brackets were added to the fuselage.

All the gear doors were attached to their respective locations

The canopy sub assembly was finally finished, and attached to it's mounting location but not glued to it. Naturally, I dropped the canopy on to my workbench and managed to snap the canopy piston in half. I ended up having to make a new one.

After looking at the final set of pictures, I decided that the taxi lights just aren't up to standards of the rest of the kit, as the Pledge clear coat just didn't come close to replicating clear lenses. So I have to make them out of spares, or I might try some Gel CA Gorilla Glue.

Here's the final set of pictures, which I've divided into two posts.

Joel

DSC_1544.jpg

DSC_1545.jpg

DSC_1556.jpg

DSC_1551.jpg

DSC_1559.jpg

DSC_1562.jpg

DSC_1575.jpg

DSC_1563.jpg

36 years and still unpacking - I believe you. I don't know what it is about those brown boxes that we shy away from opening them. Model kit boxes are the exact opposite. They're open in a flash.

Your builds always have that snappy, dapper look about them! Another signature Joel build :)

Edited by crackerjazz

36 years and still unpacking - I believe you. I don't know what it is about those brown boxes that we shy away from opening them. Model kit boxes are the exact opposite. They're open in a flash.

Your builds always have that snappy, dapper look about them! Another signature Joel build :)/>

Crackerjazz,

I know it sounds impossible, but we've stored boxes in the basement storage room of things we never use, like a 2nd set of China, old pot and pans, excess silverware and tableware that were hand me downs, what seams like a million window treatments that have gone out of style but my wife won't throw out, and the list goes on and on.

And thank you for that most complimentary "snappy and dapper". I'm already missing working on the Mudhen.

Joel

Joel my friend, you've done it again. What a beautiful model, and a fun informative WIP also. Thank you for taking the time to pass on your knowledge.

Falcon20driver,

Thank you so much for those most kind and generous words. Sure glad that you were with me from start to finish. It's always a comforting feeling knowing that your friends are in your corner.

Joel