Jump to content
ARC Discussion Forums

Falconxlvi

Members
  • Content Count

    1,320
  • Joined

  • Last visited

2 Followers

About Falconxlvi

  • Rank
    Full Blown Model Geek
  • Birthday February 5

Profile Information

  • Gender
    Male
  • Interests
    1/72 1/48 1/32 Aircraft, all types

Recent Profile Visitors

8,527 profile views
  1. You’re not wasting any time! I’m looking forward to seeing what you can do with this Tamiya “wunderkit”. VVA has the red spinners, so I vote for that one 😉 Steve
  2. Awesome!! Those orange tanks really give the model some pizzazz. Steve
  3. Update 3/29 I finished adding all of the stencils and placards. These primarily consisted of Corsair specific stencils from an old Microscale sheet, and generic stencils from an Airscale sheet. I also used Archer Fine Transfers Silver Placards for a few stencils. The aircraft tail number and “FG-1D” on the tail were cobbled together using Microscale 3” 45 degree letters. This was incredibly tedious, and not quite the right scale compared to the real thing, but the exercise tested the limits of my patience and eyesight, so I’m not convinced that I could have gone with 1/72 letters and tried piecing something even smaller together. It’s mostly straight...mostly 🤪 I glossed the entire airframe with Tamiya X-22 thinned with Mr Color Leveling Thinner before proceeding with the washes. The Boeing museum FG-1D has a lot of fastener and rivet detail in natural metal. It really looks cool against the dark blue. To replicate this, I made an enamel wash with Model Master Aluminum and did my best to keep the metallic wash out of the actual panel lines and confined to the rivets. It took a few attempts to get the effect I was after, but overall it worked. Cleaning up the metallic flakes in the excess wash has proven to be a bit of a nightmare, and even now when I look at the pics, I can see some areas I need to go back and work on removing some of the residual wash - she’s not supposed to sparkle 😂 I used Tamiya Dark Brown wash on the rest of the panel lines and then gave the model another overall gloss coat. I keep finding areas that have some aluminum wash pigments, so I am currently in this continuous sand, fix, and re-gloss process. I’m getting there. The engine assembly is just “press-fit” for these photos, but I wanted to show off the overall airframe. Speaking of the engine, I found that the vector resin details in the front of the cowl prevented the kit engine from sliding all the way forward into the cowl. This prevented the entire engine assembly from fitting correctly, but the fix was simple. I filed off a few mm’s of plastic from the engine firewall “stump” that slides into the engine crankcase, and all was well. Thanks for stopping by! Steve
  4. Well done! Congrats on another superb build 👍🏻👍🏻 Steve
  5. 3/24. Quick Update I used Archer Fine Transfers for the prop stencils and Hamilton Standard logos. I’ve never used dry transfers before but they sure look nice. They burnish down easily using the tip of a paintbrush handle. I cut out a rectangular shape around each transfer and used tape to aid with positioning it on the blades. I glossed the rest of the model and will be adding some details and other odds and ends once the clear cures. More soon, especially now that we are all on lockdown 😜 Steve
  6. Thanks Carlos, I appreciate it. 👍🏻 Steve
  7. Oh no worries, I was actually surprised to see this after looking some recent pictures. I learned something new 👍🏻
  8. I’m doing the Boeing Museum FG-1D in the livery that she is currently in. Scroll up a few posts to see a picture. I went up there and took a bunch of reference photos and detailed my gear bays and wingfolds based on the museum bird - oops! I painted these areas zinc green chromate when they should’ve been GSB. So that limited me from doing any war time birds accurately. I figure this will be a nice opportunity to go for a clean museum finish. Steve
  9. The small strips on the circumference of the radome.
  10. I’ve looked at a lot of pics, including all my old pics from Mountain Hope and Seymour 2010-2016- the windscreens are clear. This is something new and best guess is it’s related to the new radar, although I have seen some pics of AESA jets with clear windscreens too (like the 391st jets below, pictured right after mod in 2017) Might be something happening over the last 2-3 years. It looks like the timeframe of the jet you are modeling matters. Hope this helps. Thanks for pointing that out everyone!
  11. I flew the jet for seven years before AESA radars - no tint. Looking again at those pics, which are very recent (the 389th pics) it looks like there may be a new windscreen associated with the AESA radar mod. Interesting Steve
  12. Thanks Brett. Yep, I agree the tape is better, which is also why it’s probably slightly more expensive than the same vinyl masks on the Maketar site. It is definitely tricky to align the insignia masks due to the sticky nature of the mask itself. I spent nearly an hour lining up the right side fuselage insignia to match the left. I wish I was exaggerating 🤦🏼‍♂️.
×
×
  • Create New...