Minicraft MD-80 US Air

Hello there, dear American airline-modeling enthusiasts,

Please don't laugh at this European [wannabe] modeler's question :doh:

It's about this box art from Minicraft:

123490-10189.jpg

Can you figure our if it is supposed to portray an actual American city?

I am asking because I have just managed to obtain said boxing wishing to turn the plastic inside into this:

11748931936_8d31e66129_z.jpg

https://www.flickr.com/photos/22331715@N06/11748931936/

...but I might be tempted to go for an American livery instead.

Thanks,

Niki

P.S.: you might have figured out that this falls under the 'Inspiring box art' category (well, at least for me in this case :) )

Dear Niki,

The aircraft doesn't belong to an American airline. The registration is not American. Also, I've never heard of this airline in the states. It looks like it has a YR for a tail code that would make it from Romania. If it is a YK then it is from Syria.

I don't think the box art for the USAir kit depicts any American city. It's just something the artist drew up.

According to the Googles, Tend Air is a Romanian airline. I couldn't find decals for them from the usual places, such as 26, Nazca, or Draw Decals. The livery looks pretty simple, so you might be able to draw up the Tend Air logo with a vector graphics program like Inkscape or Adobe Illustrator & print it with a laser printer and then mask the rest.

Ben

Thanks guys and apologies for apparently not being clear: my question was strictly related to the box art and the issue of the painting portraying an actual American city (NY, SL, I don't know!?) or not.

About Tendair being somewhat of a Romanian airline, that's clear: YRMDK and other Mad Dogs (Medallion Air, Eagle Atlantic, etc.) belonging to the same group of people with businesses in Africa mostly, come/ came regularly for technical checks where I work. That's why I initially intended to build a model as such.

But after seeing the Minicraft box art I was rather drawn towards building a plane belonging to an American airline (perhaps even using the US Air decals coming from the box) to go with the nice evening lights in the artwork...

Thanks again for your input! :thumbsup:

Niki

I believe the city on the Minicraft box art is supposed to be a rough approximation of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh was at one time USAir's largest hub. Sadly, the airline's presence at the airport long ago became a shell of its once former glory...

Mike

• 4 months later...

Yep, its Pittsburgh Pa. Three Rivers Stadium is just below the nose of aircraft,half of it is cut off.The stadium is no longer there today.USAir flew over 500 flights a day in and out of Pittsburgh International Airport.

Edited by rego1