VF-84 F-14A 1986 paint Scheme

Hi Guys,

Thought the Jolly Rogers fans could enlighten me on this subject. It's a photo I came across that I've never seen before. It's from the Koku Fan January 1988 issue. It's a picture of a VF-84 F-14A in a scheme I'm not familiar with, but had always wondered if this scheme had ever existed. All over Gull Grey without any Hi-Viz warnings or stencils!

The only thing I'm wondering about is the color of the markings. The caption states that all markings are black. I can't really tell from the photo. I assumed the markings were the Dark Grey that was on the TPS schemes during 1986. Maybe someone here can help me out, and let me know if they're familiar with this scheme. Being a Jolly Rogers buff, I always love coming across a scheme I've never seen before.

I've attached a Hi-Viz bird from a few years earlier for reference:

(Hope I haven't broken any rules uploading these pics from a magazine)

IMG_8561_zps1omlddd6.jpg

IMG_8563_zpsym8nb8ix.jpg

IMG_8564_zpswdpeq25n.jpg

V.C.

Edited by jollyrogerf14

It could have been and certainly looks like it is. I have seen other tomcats from different squadrons around the same time with similar color schemes. The color for the markings looks likes it was two colors. The fin caps look like they are black along with the Modex and the rest look like they are euro I gray.

I was thinking too, that maybe it's a TARPS bird. Most of those were in the higher modex numbers it seems, and I've heard that some squadrons had a slightly different scheme for their TARPS planes.

I think that VF-103 Sluggers had a TARPS plane, modex number 214 in over all grey when most of their others were in the TPS scheme in the mid 80s.

...just a guess.

V.C.

According my files the AJ-210 was the 160391 ( 19 Apr ) so it's not a TARPS bird , my guess is that the squadron was expirementing with new paint schemes . the 160391 stayed the AJ-210 till

1988 then it became the AJ-202.

Hope this helps , cheers, Henk "OMAR"

It's more than likely 36081..Navy doesn't use 36118 although both colors are similar.

Perhaps you mean they don't use it now ?.

Anyhow, the only source that I've managed to (remember) locate that mentions a few things about the aircraft's paint scheme and markings was the following book (Navy Air Colors Vol.2 1945-1985, by Thomas E. Doll et al., Squadron/Signal Publications). Unfortunately, it doesn't specify - if one of the two previously mentioned Federal Standard colors was used during that period (1986+). It only gives the TPS FS numbers.

EDIT => Quoting from the book, 'The Official Monogram US Navy USMC Aircraft Color Guide Vol. 4 1960-1993' pages 153 and 154 (regarding identification and recognition markings); "If the tactical paint scheme is comprised of only two colors, the contrasting color specified is the color used in the scheme which is not located in the area where the marking is applied. This requirement applies except when the two colors used in the scheme are Gray (36320) and Gray (36375). In this case, all markings are to be Blue (35237).

If the tactical paint scheme is comprised of three colors, the following guidelines apply:

a. If the background is the darkest gray, medium gray is used for the marking.

b. If the background color is the medium gray, the darkest gray is used for the marking.

c. If the background color is the lightest gray, the medium gray is used for the marking.

MODEX numbers applied to aircraft with the tactical paint scheme are to be Gray (36081) instead of the colors specified above."

I'll have another look .

Edited by SERNAK

Perhaps you mean they don't use it now ?.

Anyhow, the only source that I've managed to (remember) locate that mentions a few things about the aircraft's paint scheme and markings was the following book (Navy Air Colors Vol.2 1945-1985, by Thomas E. Doll et al., Squadron/Signal Publications). Unfortunately, it doesn't specify - if one of the two previously mentioned Federal Standard colors was used during that period (1986+). It only gives the TPS FS numbers.

EDIT => Quoting from the book, 'The Official Monogram US Navy USMC Aircraft Color Guide Vol. 4 1960-1993' pages 153 and 154 (regarding identification and recognition markings); "If the tactical paint scheme is comprised of only two colors, the contrasting color specified is the color used in the scheme which is not located in the area where the marking is applied. This requirement applies except when the two colors used in the scheme are Gray (36320) and Gray (36375). In this case, all markings are to be Blue (35237).

If the tactical paint scheme is comprised of three colors, the following guidelines apply:

a. If the background is the darkest gray, medium gray is used for the marking.

b. If the background color is the medium gray, the darkest gray is used for the marking.

c. If the background color is the lightest gray, the medium gray is used for the marking.

MODEX numbers applied to aircraft with the tactical paint scheme are to be Gray (36081) instead of the colors specified above."

I'll have another look .

You have to look at it from this angle...1. I rarely believe anything I read in books. 2. I spent the better half of 2001-2005 visiting F-14 squadrons at NAS Oceana spending more time than I care to mention in 12C (Corrosion Control) looking over manuals, diagrams, talking with the 19 year old kids who actually paint the aircraft for a living, not to mention the countless number of Chiefs and Senior Chiefs who were around the F-14 long enough to know what colors were used and not used.

Those guidelines as you've listed above are just that..guidelines especially at the squadron level. For example, in VF-103's shop, I saw countless cans of 35237, 36320, 36375 and 36081.

As for the 36118 vs 36081 debate, I'll stick to my guns on 36081.