P2V Neptune Colours

Right now! I'm building a P2V-7 Neptune in the 1957 time period. It has the Gloss Sea Blue paint scheme, but photos I can find appear to show the wheel wells and landing gear in gloss white . Is that correct? i would have expected chromate green for the wells and aluminum lacquer for the struts.

The Colonel

If it has a white top (likely by 1957) it was not GSB, it was glossy Engine Gray (16081). Gear bays etc were almost assuredly white. Come to think of it, if it's a -7 I don't think any were ever painted GSB. Almost certainly Engine Gray (aka Seaplane Gray), 16081.

Edited by Jennings

If it has a white top (likely by 1957) it was not GSB, it was glossy Engine Gray (16081). Gear bays etc were almost assuredly white. Come to think of it, if it's a -7 I don't think any were ever painted GSB. Almost certainly Engine Gray (aka Seaplane Gray), 16081.

To confuse things even more, the -7's were solid engine gray, engine gray w/white top, and gull gray w/white. In 1963 we had a mix of all three as the latest ones cycled in. Eventually they were all gull gray with white top.

As I recall, the wheel wells were were white on all. I was in VP-2 home based on NAS Whidbey Island, WA.

I've got a bunch of 35mm color pics I took of 2 or 3 surplus P-2s (SP-2H) at Alamogordo airport while I was stationed at Holloman in the early 80s. These were in storage waiting to be converted for fire bombing duties and were completely still militarized and wearing the markings of VP-67. The nose gear wells/doors were gloss white but had details of different colors including a large OD fabric cover in the right rear adjacent to the crew ladder. Conversely, the main gear wells were silver. The water injection tanks, a large feature, were interior green with accessories in black, metal, etc. Inside the doors were white as were all three struts and drag braces etc.

The first P2V-7s were painted overall gloss sea blue. My uncle was in VP-19 when they received them new and I have colored sides and his Cruise Book of them. Some were (VP-19) modified at NAS Alameda with twin guns in the nose and tail and at least one just had tail guns with the removal of the MAD gear. All were gloss sea blue.

And as for the wheel wells, they sure appear chromate green in the color sides.

Edited by aweber stoofan

By 1957 it's doubtful a P2V-7 would still have been in GSB though. Anything is possible, but Engine Gray/Seaplane Gray is much more likely.

The cruise book is from 1956 and all the airplanes in the squadron were gloss sea blue.

Edited by aweber stoofan

This is from a slide that was taken by my father at NAS Kingsville, Texas in 1957 while he was a flight instructor there in ATU-400. This P2V-7 belonged to VP-19 out of NAS Alameda at that time and was on a cross-country hop with my uncle as Aircraft Commander. He stopped into Kingsville to see my father. My uncle is the one in the right seat waving to my dad. The airplane is dark sea blue, and there are other slides I haven't yet scanned that show the green wheel wells.

VP-19%20P2V-7%20Kingsville%20Bob%20Weber%20in%20right%20seat_zpsocnn7qt0.jpg

I've got a bunch of 35mm color pics I took of 2 or 3 surplus P-2s (SP-2H) at Alamogordo airport while I was stationed at Holloman in the early 80s. These were in storage waiting to be converted for fire bombing duties and were completely still militarized and wearing the markings of VP-67. The nose gear wells/doors were gloss white but had details of different colors including a large OD fabric cover in the right rear adjacent to the crew ladder. Conversely, the main gear wells were silver. The water injection tanks, a large feature, were interior green with accessories in black, metal, etc. Inside the doors were white as were all three struts and drag braces etc.

This is from a slide that was taken by my father at NAS Kingsville, Texas in 1957 while he was a flight instructor there in ATU-400. This P2V-7 belonged to VP-19 out of NAS Alameda at that time and was on a cross-country hop with my uncle as Aircraft Commander. He stopped into Kingsville to see my father. My uncle is the one in the right seat waving to my dad. The airplane is dark sea blue, and there are other slides I haven't yet scanned that show the green wheel wells.

VP-19%20P2V-7%20Kingsville%20Bob%20Weber%20in%20right%20seat_zpsocnn7qt0.jpg

Right now! Thank you for that information.

The Colonel

Edited by The Colonel

Are there any decals out there for this kit? I just found my old Hasegawa kit today and the decals are shot.

I have seen ones for non-American, but I am not aware of anyone that is doing or that is interested in doing U.S. Navy markings. I would like some also, that old kit really isn't all that bad. I have a feeling if someone did do a really nice sheet it would sell out fairly quickly and there would be no motivation to reprint (for whatever reason), so if you see some that some are coming out get them fast.

I'm trying to get Paul Fisher interested in doing some resin/PE update goodies for this old warhorse of a kit like he did for the Heller Connie.

That would be really something to get him to come out with some stuff for this kit. There are so many directions one could go with this airplane and Paul does great work!

I would be more than happy to supply reference photos if you would like me too.

I will be doing a 1/72 Neptune sheet after I finish all the projects I have committed to finishing - perhaps late this year or early 2016. In addition to providing markings for the Hasegawa kit, I want to be ready when someone finally does a 1/48 Neptune. I will definitely let you know when I start working on it.

I will be doing a 1/72 Neptune sheet after I finish all the projects I have committed to finishing - perhaps late this year or early 2016. In addition to providing markings for the Hasegawa kit, I want to be ready when someone finally does a 1/48 Neptune. I will definitely let you know when I start working on it.

Sounds great!