I have a couple questions that I just can't find the answers to. I know they have probably been asked a dozen times I just can't find the answers.

1. Can I use the tank less outer pylons from Tamiyas F-4J on my E straight out of the box or do I need to modify them?

2. When did the gun defuser switch from short to long and were jets with the short one modified while stationed in Vietnam?

Thanks in advance.

According to Joe Baugher's web site, the long MIDAS IV gun muzzle was introduced on Block 48 F-4Es (started with 71-0224) and was retrofitted to earlier jets, so I'd guess 1972 or so for the long muzzle to start appearing. Both types were seen in Vietnam.

Ben

I don't think the gun muzzles were replaced *in* Vietnam/SEA. That would more than likely have happened during depot maintenance, which was in the US.

The Thunderbirds F-4Es (which never had guns fitted to them) kept their short muzzle fairings for their entire lives, which included many years of service as NF-4Es at the Air Force Flight Test Center and Test Pilot School at Edwards. AFAIK they were the only ones that never got the MIDAS muzzle fairings.

Jennings I know that most of the time they had wing tanks but I want to do one of those times they didn't just to have something different.

SEA based F-4E's from the 388TFW (JJ and JV codes) and the 366TFW (LA and LC codes) routinely flew missions with MER's on the outboard pylons. I took a quick look through my USAF F-4E slide collection and I stopped looking after finding 22 images that showed this configuration on SEA based aircraft. I've also seen plenty of images published in F-4 Phantom books that confirm the MER/outer pylon set-up.

Oz

I have no idea if the gun muzzle fairings were changed out by TCTO in country, at depot, or only as they were damaged. But I did want to point out that changing the fairing was a simple matter of unscrewing a bunch of fasteners from the old one to remove it and then screwing the new one in place. It's not like anything on the jet had to be modified.