I haven't posted a WIP in a long time, at least for an aircraft, so here it goes. I'll be building this Eindecker as the subject says.

4589825F-2834-45A7-9BD7-2FB6B79DEB95.jpg

7DCB7A04-DF14-4485-BE03-00A8D6680A63.jpg

I'm not really sure why, but this has always been my favorite WWI aircraft, no particular reason other than its so cool looking, especially the aluminum cowling. This kit should pretty straightforward, except for the rigging. The rigging itself doesn't trouble me on WWI builds, but on this particular aircraft, a lot of it attaches to some pretty delicate PE, so a little too much tension will pop parts loose. I guess things I've learned with rigging ships might pay off here. I'll be building the aircraft from the box art, Ernst Udet's aircraft.

More to follow....

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Excellent subject!

So, you'll be building it as an E.III?

I've thought about this one too because of its significance as the first German purpose-built fighter and the first use of synchronized guns. Ian Mackersey's excellent No Empty Chairs had this to say

No Empty Chairs[/i]"]

The Eindecker was not a particularly wonderful flying machine. Its single wing curiously braced by a stubby mast adorned with what looked like the spokes of an umbrella, it had a somewhat fragile appearance. It was initially under-powered and banked inefficiently by warping its wingtips. But its forward-firing guns were destined to more than compensate for these disadvantages. At a stroke this mediocre aeroplane with its lethal armament handed air superiority decisively to the German squadrons. They dominated the skies over the Western Front, denying British and French reconnaissance aircraft the airspace they needed to take their vital photographs behind the lines. To prevent the secret mechanism falling into Allied hands the German pilots were ordered not to cross into enemy territory.

Yup, I'm building an E.III, there was nothing over fantastic about this plane other than the interrupting gear. The British tested an intact example that landing on the wrong side, and thought it was very unstable and had a tendency to dip to the right due to torque.

Not much to look at in this update, the basic interior is painted and some basic weathering done. I still have to do some touch up and detail painting before adding the rest of the parts, but this is all my nerves are going to sfaely let me do, THIS THING IS SMALL! Beer cap for to add some scale.

14660A85-4BCB-4B7F-A626-A53D3A84BEAE.jpg

More to follow......

Bill

I was at a WW1 flying event this weekend and a pilot was telling us about the Fokker Scourge, and the results of the English tests of a captured example. He went on to mention that two examples were being built for the collection...and that everyone was trying to make sure they weren't there, so they could avoid test flying duty!

Great work Bill! I have a WNW Eindecker on my wants list to build as Immelmann's, so this will be a nice piece of inspiration. Keep up the great work!

Based on what I've read, I wouldn't want to be the first either! What I find truly remarkable is the fact that the German pilots kill records, and that the time was referred to as the Fokker Scourge, prove that no matter how unstable or difficult it was to fly, they mastered it! Here is an update, I did some touch up painting, and built up the throttle quadrant, that thing was small. Next up is to put the PE and paint the rudder pedals, and the same with the seat. This may take a few days, I'll have to paint wood grain, plus I have some other projects.

BFB43FCF-E39B-445E-BC76-CA88C6897801.jpg

C141F110-1D56-4D98-A67A-34300D2D45F6.jpg

More to follow.......

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Bill,

While I'm not a WW1 modeler, I do admire those that can build and rig these aircraft. Your cockpit detailing & weathering is amazing, and even more so when one sees just how small it really is.

I'll be following your build with much interest.

Joel

All the best for your build Bill, you've made a great start!

If you haven't already, I suggest you join up at WW1 Aircraft Models. The membership is highly experienced and always happy to share hints and tips for any aspect of WW1 builds.

I look forward to your next update! I think 1/48 is still too small for me for an Eindecker, I'm asking Santa for the Wingnut Wings version!

Thanks for the words guys. I usually build maybe two WWI aircraft a year, that's all I can stand without starting shelf queens. I'll have to check out that website, sounds cool. It is tiny, but I have a bit of OCD when it comes to my models, I like thinks to all be in the same scale, 1/48 and 1/350, just so my shelf is all in scale, I know, it's weird. A friend of mine built the Wing Nuts kit, it is BEAUTIFUL! I started the seat and the rudder pedals, so I'm going to work on the wood grain tonight, if it turns out, I'll post more pictures tonight.

Here is a picture of my last plane, Eduard Phalz D.IIIA.

7841CE2E-93B4-4055-9A37-7382B40C0BF2.jpg

Thanks again for watching.

Bill

Edited by rightwinger26

Without intending to teach you how to suck eggs - such a bizarre expression - I use the Wingnut recommended method for wood grain: http://www.wingnutwings.com/ww/vF8F2BAB5/www/hintsandtips/32002%201-32%20LVG%20C.VI%20painting%20wood%20grain%20hints%20and%20tips.jpg

At a craft store I found a set of different-sized sponges with handles, they make it really easy.

Thanks Joel.

I used a different technique, Vallejo burnt umber with a water soaked stiff bristle brush for the seat and the rudder pedals, but I was going for a little different look with the wood. I wood (pun) imagine that on the Western Front, wood parts in a cockpit that are constantly getting sat on and kick, would get very dirty and grimey. I figured that after looking at my plywood workbench last night. So I wanted a little grain, and a lot of staining....I think I pulled it off.

7B8E4672-3E66-4EC0-8F81-88CC5DB7817C.jpg

212CEBE0-5AF3-42A3-9E68-DFF4B3AAF569.jpg

I'm not worried about the back of the seat, once it's closed, you'll never see it. Tomorrow I can dull coat and close the halves. I was already planning on using oils for the wood grain on the prop. I've always used the turpinoid and stiff brush technique, but that sponge style looks cool and I've never seen that one, so since the prop is small and forgiving, and the kit came with two props.

More to follow.......

Bill

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't forgot about this one, I was just focusing on GB project. I started work again today, the seams are cleaned up and I'm working on the oil tank, hopefully I can get a few pictures up in a little while. I just wanted to dig this out of the basement so I don't have to find it later.

More to follow......

Bill

im not good at taking pictures, but the oil tank, ammo can, and underside of the cowling are Alclad dull aluminum.

FD10594D-4DCE-4125-800D-71A3877CDC41.jpg

CF506587-BC2B-4724-834D-A0AAB9A0F17D.jpg

Next up is to glue the upper cowling on, then build the drive shaft and the all important interupter gear that made the Eindecker so famous.

More to follow........

Bill

Here is the synchronization gear.......

82874C7B-ED0F-42CA-9D44-1BFE4F678ED8.jpg

And now it's gone........

F4046DBE-7B1D-4AF1-8A8F-B8D248A4CC57.jpg

It was kind of a pain to align the rest of the cowling, so I'm done for the day, tomorrow at my club meeting I'm going to drill some holes for the rigging and start installing some of the PE on the fuselage, and fill and sand a couple of minor seams.

C816B98E-36D4-4BEE-B396-00074D6B1855.jpg

More to follow......

Bill

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Joel.

I've gotten a little more work finished, I tend to work slow. I've gotten most of the PE attached to the fuselage that represents the stitching on the canvas, and the holes drilled for the rigging, as well as a few seams filled and sanded.

B2776C68-6960-4E1A-872A-AD2486E2694D.jpg

B842AA6D-65BB-40A5-8016-A5C463F20B42.jpg

BC9ACBC8-8671-48A6-8FB9-337BE837373B.jpg

Hopefully this weekend I can put the last couple pieces of PE on, and attach the wings.

More to follow......

Bill

• 1 month later...

I haven't forgotten about this build, it's just been really cold in the garage and I haven't wanted to airbrush. I put on the last of the PE for the fuselage, and am going to prime tomorrow, and hopefully Sunday the painting will be finished.

BF6D4063-380B-4BFC-B7AD-D15DA63B456B.jpg

7443DB11-4075-4382-A8C5-40C98668BE7D.jpg

AF2ABF00-81D6-4866-86D4-5BC6A8A28FFB.jpg

More to follow.......

Bill

Most of the painting is done, I ran out of rubber gloves, so when I get more tomorrow, I'll break out the Alclad and paint the cowl and shrouds around the nose. The red may seem a little dark at the moment, it's mostly the light, but it will lighten more when I weather.

832AEB18-362B-49A2-B83A-175D3CAB9A75.jpg

Not too much longer, and I can decal, then start the landing gear.

More to follow...........

Bill