A-10A JAWS Mystery Pods

I see the A-10 Warthogs involved in the JAWS exercises often were equipped with one or two small torpedo-shaped pods on their wings. See photos:

Photo 1

Photo 2

In both of these photos they are on stations 2 or 10, outboard of the LAU-88 with the Mavericks.

I noted the 1/48 scale Italeri kit comes with these (see Brett Green's review HERE). However, I have never seen an explanation of what these pods are or what they are for. Can anyone tell me please? Were they carried past this set of exercises, or are they a one-off? Thanks in advance.

Looks small for a travel pod. It looks more the size of the Pave Penny pod which is NOT mounted on the usual fuselage pylon under the nose, could this be a test of an alternate mount? Seems unlikely as it takes away a weapon store position. Looks like the sensor window is painted over so ????

At that time the A-10 didn't have the chaff/flare dispensers mounted on the gearpods or the wingtips, so I thought that those pods were dispensers. While it could be that, I really think its a range telemetry pod. If you remember the Tamiya 1/48th kit had the Chaff flare dispensing pod in it and this does not look like the those.

MXU-648 Travel/Baggage pods.

Thanks, but volume-wise, I think you are off by an order of magnitude.

boom175, you may be on to something with a range telemetry pod. Whatever this is, I don't know that I have seen a photo of it on any other aircraft but the A-10.

I don't have any hard data, but given its size, I'd have to think it's some kind of a data link pod used during the JAWS exercise. Given how long ago that was (1978), I'd say that's as likely as anything. I've never seen it on any other A-10, and they were camouflaged to match the exercise camouflage applied to the whole airplane.

I don't have any hard data, but given its size, I'd have to think it's some kind of a data link pod used during the JAWS exercise. Given how long ago that was (1978), I'd say that's as likely as anything. I've never seen it on any other A-10, and they were camouflaged to match the exercise camouflage applied to the whole airplane.

Thanks, Jennings. This explanation seems as good as any. Not too hard to scratchbuild, at any rate.

I did find a few photos of these on gray jets (Mask 10A asymmetrical scheme). According to the site they are located on, they were also involved in the JAWS program.

LINK - one pod that we can see, painted gray.

LINK - two pods, still in spotted camo. Borrowed from other a/c?

LINK - the rear dome on this one is yellow or radome tan. The front one may be as well, but it is hard to see. Also of note is that this is a Davis-Monthan marked a/c, not Nellis.