I was at the RC model field about 5 miles south of Scott AFB today and there was a 135 flying around making at least a dozen touch and go's at Scott. It was not one of 126th KC-135's. It had the hog nose, CFM-56 engines, both wings were silver, no cheek packs, no IFR boom on the tail and had OF (Offutt) on the fin. Any ideas what particular version this was?

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78

4127 and 4129 both have the cheek packs and 4133 has black wing and engines on the starboard side no cheeks so I'm not sure if it was a TC-135. Didn't Air Force Systems/Materiel Command fly a couple with hog noses for systems testing?

More than likely you saw a TC-135. The TCs don't have any operational ELINT gear on them though as their primary purpose is to help train pilots on how to fly and land the planes. Internally, they have ballast to make them behave like a typically loaded RC-135. Unlike a KC-135 which usually takes off fully loaded and comes back empty, an RC is loaded down with a lot of gear all the time, so they have to be landed hot with higher approach speeds. Usually the way to tell at a glance that you are looking at a TC and not an RC is the relative lack of antennas on them. This is especially true with the TCs that have cheeks as if it was a Rivet Joint, the bottom kind of looks like a porcupine with all the black blade antennas on the belly.

If it had no cheeks I would say 4133, a TC-135S, is the most likely candidate. Found some pictures over at Airliners.net and it appears it went in for depot maintenance in 2013 and when it came back, it no longer had the Cobra Ball style black wing which it had back in 2012. BTW, if the jet has an OF tail code, it is an Offutt based 55th wing bird.

http://www.airliners.net/search/photo.search?regsearch=62-4133&distinct_entry=true

I know someone who could probably answer that for you...oh wait...

Moose, I did answer it alright.

Jennings isnt the only one with knowledge. And my reply wasnt snotty and condescending ;)

Cheers,

-Jeff