This build will use the old Revell 1/48th kit of the Sikorsky H-19, formerly called the S-55. It will be in VNAF or South Vietnam Air Force markings. I spent several hours yesterday evening and more this morning cleaning up the parts. Every piece had moderate to severe flashing, most had nasty ejector pin marks and there were several sink holes. There are major errors in the engine compartment, mediocre cockpit detail, NOTHING in the interior cargo compartment and the wheels and tires are totally wrong. Other than that, it is a pretty good kit! The outside detail is excellent, most of the dimensions scale out pretty close and overall, it LOOKS RIGHT. I am debating about whether or not I will try to correct the problems in the engine compartment or just assemble it the way the kit shows. The clamshell doors over the engine can be assembled opened or closed, so if I did them closed, I wouldn't have to worry about the engine. I guess I am getting lazy in my old age.

DSC_0062_zpskaiwatsy.jpg

DSC_0065_zpswxpv5qi6.jpg

Darwin

Edited by yardbird78
  • 2 weeks later...

I finally made some visible progress and this whirly bird. Most of my efforts so far have been cleaning up parts and filling sink holes & ejector pin marks.

The basic cockpit parts. The seats look like armchairs from someone's living room, so they will need a lot of work before they are fit for pictures. The engine parts

as provided in the kit. I still need to add some extra detail.

DSC_0066A_zpsauhwvijg.jpg

The engine and firewall dry fit in the fuselage halves. The cockpit is hiding in there too.

DSC_0068A_zpsa18pvxmf.jpg

Darwin