"Hobby" Spray Gun?

I was wondering if anyone had a good recommendation for a hobby type spray gun.  I'm looking for something that has a coverage similar to a Tamiya rattle can.  I have a number of badger and Iwata cup and gravity feed airbrushes, but the spray patterns at best get to a couple inches.  It works fine for color and I've made it work for clear coats, but I'd like to find something that would be a little better for laying down a good gloss...but not crazy like an automotive gun.

I have an Iwata Kustom HP-TH. It couples a 0.5mm needle with round and fan caps giving you good coverage without the feeling that you're flooding the surface with paint, which is how I feel about rattle cans and models. I use it generally for primers, large-coverage color coats, and clearcoats.

Edited by dnl42

If you want the best of both normal airbrush spray and "spray gun" fan spray, perhaps you might want to consider either the Grex Tritium (TG3 or TS3) pistol grip or current Genesis (XGi3 or XSi3) traditional style airbrushes with the TF-3 (.3mm fan spray) fan cap. The fan cap will work on either style of airbrush and Grex is currently the only airbrush company that makes a .3mm fan cap which is perfect for most scale models. The nice thing about the .3mm fan cap is you can progressively add layers of paint to approach opacity where as a .5mm fan cap can easily overwhelm detail with over saturation in one or two passes over the model's surface.

If the TF-3 under performs (or you are working in huge scales like a 1/72 747 for example) then the TFK-5 kit is available to reconfigure the airbrush to a .5mm configuration. The kit comes with a standard airbrush nozzle cap as well as the fan cap so either type of spray is available with the .5mm configuration.

Edited by 86Sabreboy1
added video
On 10/30/2016 at 9:03 PM, P_Budzik said:

My recommendations ...

BB%20Video%20Image%20019.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6gI9ljJsdo

Paul

Couldn't agree more, get one of these and you won't be disappointed. This is what I'll be using to prime, paint and, apply the clear / flat coats onto my 1/18th scale Tomcat.

Steve

IMG_4394_zpsqpfigwex.jpg