1/48 Academy F-15C paint issue

Hello,

the paint instructions say I must use FS 36375 & FS 36320

I used Mr Hobby Color sporting exactly the codes above, but the difference between them are indistinguishable.

What is the right scheme for it ?

Cheers

20161203_185041.jpg

Edited by marcinko
4 hours ago, marcinko said:

Hello,

the paint instructions say I must use FS 36375 & FS 36320

I used Mr Hobby Color sporting exactly the codes above, but the difference between them are indistinguishable.

What is the right scheme for it ?

Cheers

20161203_185041.jpg

This is the scheme this jet had prior to 1991, she receive the Mod Eagle scheme when she went to Kim Hae for MISIP. Prior to MISIP Kadena jets wore the Compass Ghost Gray scheme. I worked on this jet around that time when we had Operational readiness inspections. My jet in the 67th was 78-0479 during this time and was the last to recurve the Mod Eagle scheme. We could get our paint darkened or lightened to make our jet unique by slipping paint shop a case when our jet was in the barn.

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
4 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

Their isn't supposed to be much contrast in the Light/Dark Ghost Gray Scheme:

1512.jpg

Back in the day of compass ghost Gray even the Mod Eagle scheme the paint wasn't regulated so every jets paint scheme could be lighter or darker depending on the mix done by hand. We use to have our jets painted different so they would stand Out in the pattern so we knew when our jet was returning from a sortie. Paint was mixed by hand so expect some variation. An FS number is not the do all said all and final absolute color tone.

21 hours ago, Ol Crew Dog said:

Back in the day of compass ghost Gray even the Mod Eagle scheme the paint wasn't regulated so every jets paint scheme could be lighter or darker depending on the mix done by hand. We use to have our jets painted different so they would stand Out in the pattern so we knew when our jet was returning from a sortie. Paint was mixed by hand so expect some variation. An FS number is not the do all said all and final absolute color tone.

Thanks man, this is eye opening, because I was worried about the pattern also by looking at other Eagles

Cheers

I agree with you, about FS as not necessarily being the "be all and end all" for colors. I didn't realize they were hand mixed and that you would  mix things "off" on purpose. I just wanted to provide the OP a shot that showed that the low contrast wasn't necessarily wrong.

11 hours ago, DonSS3 said:

I agree with you, about FS as not necessarily being the "be all and end all" for colors. I didn't realize they were hand mixed and that you would  mix things "off" on purpose. I just wanted to provide the OP a shot that showed that the low contrast wasn't necessarily wrong.

Even the camo wasn't standard to an extent, you have a vast variation on the basic compass and mod schemes, you would to look at individual aircraft to notice this. Especially on the nose and tails demarcation lines varied somewhat according to who or what shift painted it and timeframe of the aircraft. This is me with my jet prior to going to desert shield, notice the different tone.

image.jpeg

Edited by Ol Crew Dog
12 hours ago, marcinko said:

Thanks man, this is eye opening, because I was worried about the pattern also by looking at other Eagles

Cheers

Here's two more of the nose on my jet  to show you the contrast when I had the compass ghost gray paint darkened slightly .

image.jpeg

scan0066.jpg

This was put on a ship from the 44th that was scheduled and used on a static display for some V.I.P.s and a local school.  I wasw in flight ops at the time and was sent to get a few shots.  They didn't expect this and had no time to fix it.