On 5/28/2023 at 6:12 AM, Geoff M said:

It looks like the real thing shrunk down to 48th.  awesome build

Thank you, Geoff.

On 5/28/2023 at 7:15 AM, Mr.Happy said:

And it’s Awesome!

Outstanding Cruiz,

You have most certainly raised the bar and broken that bar raised it again and again. It has been such a great build to watch come to fruition. 

Your hard work has paid off and your Corsair should be looked upon as the prototype by which others that build in the modified class should yield to.

Keep build,

Mr. Happy

Hope you can come to the Nationals in San Marcos?

Thanks for those awe-inspiring words; I don't think this Corsair is even close to the quality of many builds around here, but your kind comments encourage me.

Sorry, I'm not going to the Nats; hopefully, I can attend one someday.

On 5/28/2023 at 8:41 AM, Cubs2jets said:

5 years and 2 days of pure enjoyment for me. Thanks!

C2j

I'm glad you enjoyed it, and thanks to you for your patience.

On 5/28/2023 at 10:42 AM, RichB63 said:

Congratulations Carlos on finishing this masterpiece! It’s a real stunner.

Rich

Thank you, Rich.

21 hours ago, chukw said:

It's fantastic, Carlos- the King of Corsairs!

Thanks, Chuck; hahaha, more the lackey than anything else.

Your too modest. The quality of this build blows away many 1/32 builds in terms of detail.

Most impressive is the depth of texture to the paint and weathering. From a ft away you can't really see the individual rivets, but they provide texture to the paint so it doesn't look uniform. But with in the close up photos, all the rivets and chipping effects are there.

An inspiration to us all.

On 5/30/2023 at 1:58 AM, Alternative 4 said:

Your too modest. The quality of this build blows away many 1/32 builds in terms of detail.

Most impressive is the depth of texture to the paint and weathering. From a ft away you can't really see the individual rivets, but they provide texture to the paint so it doesn't look uniform. But with in the close up photos, all the rivets and chipping effects are there.

An inspiration to us all.

Many thanks, Alternative4; I'm glad you find it inspiring; working with a magnifier does help to aim for a level of detail of bigger scales; in that way, even when I fall short, the result is acceptable.

I haven't checked in here for a long while but something told me I should swing by and now I know why... Enhorabuena, Carlos!! UNREAL finish on your F4U, just superlative in every way, all that pain and hard work really did pay off in the end! Easily one of the best Corsair replicas I have ever seen, you are a master modeler and I can't wait to see what you tackle next, congrats again on crossing the finish line at long last.

- Thomaz

• 3 months later...
On 6/2/2023 at 1:38 PM, TAG said:

I haven't checked in here for a long while but something told me I should swing by and now I know why... Enhorabuena, Carlos!! UNREAL finish on your F4U, just superlative in every way, all that pain and hard work really did pay off in the end! Easily one of the best Corsair replicas I have ever seen, you are a master modeler and I can't wait to see what you tackle next, congrats again on crossing the finish line at long last.

- Thomaz

Many thanks, Thomaz; I'm glad you liked it.

After finishing the model, I felt that something was missing, and for the first time, I tried my hand at making a base for it.

Seeing the work of several fantastic modelers was both an inspiration and a guide. The base is made from a piece of 1" thermal insulator from HomeDeppot; since I planned to enter the model in a local contest, the base was sized so the entire model would fit inside and be protected. A piece of packing material made a mound at the back and was fixed in place with white glue.

PQkl6jh.jpg

A toolbox and an extinguisher were fashioned from scratch, loosely based on some of the Corsair's reference photographs.

PVpDyor.jpg

Everything was covered with Vallejo's acrylic earth textures, and with the product still fresh, I sprinkled dirt and small rocks from my garden to give variety.

NA16B5g.jpg

The tiny rocks were painted in different colors (à la Uncle Nightshift), and then the entire base was painted in several earth shades of Tamiya acrylic, also simulating tread marks.

dCDC2RK.jpg

AVLCOx8.jpg

You can see the final result and more pictures of the finished model with a white backdrop in the Critique Corner.

Thanks again to all of you.