CD48158 - 1/48 F-18 Hornet - The Early Years

30 minutes ago, Nebbor said:

Indeed the image was and is there, just (me) hoping for a (non-mentioned) insert correcting this missing MDD logo issue. If Monogram or ESCI could use the graphics in the early eighties, why not Caracal thirty years later? My custom sheet is not full yet so still able to get the markings eventually, it just might take a bit longer than hoped for. Unfortunately this means another kit pushed WAY back on the to-complete list.

Probably because 40-odd years ago when the Monogram kit was released, the corporate lawyers had yet to go guano loco over the perceived infringement of their intellectual property.  It was still seen as a positive PR move at the time.

Just now, Joe Hegedus said:

Probably because 40-odd years ago when the Monogram kit was released, the corporate lawyers had yet to go guano loco over the perceived infringement of their intellectual property.  It was still seen as a positive PR move at the time.

Lets say these were approved in the 80's-90's, the trademark expired late 90's so still wouldn't be an issue.

Because corporate lawyers and bean counters weren't out looking for every last dollar 30 years ago.  This all started (I think) in the PC flight simulator world where 3rd party individuals/small companies were making "skins" for the aircraft in MS Flight Sim and the major airlines (American, Delta, United etc) wanted to avoid screen grabs of airliners in their colors/logos slamming into certain very tall buildings.  The best way they could stop this was by their lawyers going after the skin makers with copyright infringement and charging exorbitant licensing fees to deter such products.  The companies like Boeing and Lockheed realized there might be "gold in them thar hills" and their lawyers started going after scale model manufacturers for using their "designs" without permission.  That's when you started seeing "Officially Licensed Product" on some kit boxes.  A big company like Tamiya might be able to afford the licensing fees but for someone like Caracal those fees would price their sheets out of reach, and the potential for a lawsuit for unlicensed use could sink the company as well.

IANAL but a possible workaround would be giving the logo decals away for free, I believe if you're not making a profit off the product (or defaming the corporation) then the licensing fees may not apply.  Of course giving away free decal sheets isn't a very good business model either so..... here we are.

TLDR it's not Kursad's fault.

1 hour ago, Nebbor said:

Indeed the image was and is there, just (me) hoping for a (non-mentioned) insert correcting this missing MDD logo issue. If Monogram or ESCI could use the graphics in the early eighties, why not Caracal thirty years later? My custom sheet is not full yet so still able to get the markings eventually, it just might take a bit longer than hoped for. Unfortunately this means another kit pushed WAY back on the to-complete list.

Cool. Make some extra logos and share with the class! 😉👍

2 hours ago, habu2 said:

Because corporate lawyers and bean counters weren't out looking for every last dollar 30 years ago.  This all started (I think) in the PC flight simulator world where 3rd party individuals/small companies were making "skins" for the aircraft in MS Flight Sim and the major airlines (American, Delta, United etc) wanted to avoid screen grabs of airliners in their colors/logos slamming into certain very tall buildings.  The best way they could stop this was by their lawyers going after the skin makers with copyright infringement and charging exorbitant licensing fees to deter such products.  The companies like Boeing and Lockheed realized there might be "gold in them thar hills" and their lawyers started going after scale model manufacturers for using their "designs" without permission.  That's when you started seeing "Officially Licensed Product" on some kit boxes.  A big company like Tamiya might be able to afford the licensing fees but for someone like Caracal those fees would price their sheets out of reach, and the potential for a lawsuit for unlicensed use could sink the company as well.

IANAL but a possible workaround would be giving the logo decals away for free, I believe if you're not making a profit off the product (or defaming the corporation) then the licensing fees may not apply.  Of course giving away free decal sheets isn't a very good business model either so..... here we are.

TLDR it's not Kursad's fault.

Not blaming anyone, just trying to find out WHY. And if you took some 5 minutes of your time (as I did) to find out the status of MDD trademark(s) you would have found they don't exist anymore since the late 90's. So everybody is free to use that design. The NASA trademarks on the other hand are still active. Tread carefully, maybe some lawyers listening in...

Look, I tried to explain it as best as I could. There is no "why", no deep-rooted conspiracy to steal modelers' joy, no secret agenda hatched in smoke-filled rooms, or anything like that 🙂 . At the time I was tired of dealing with a similar issue and I was overly cautious.

I fully understand your disappointment. The decal sheet is what it is. I have only 7 copies of it remaining. If I reprint it in the next few years, I will include a small insert for the logos. Until that time, all I can offer you is a refund or a goodwill discount on a replacement since you had to postpone your planned build. Let me know how I can help.

Edit:  I will also post a printable PDF file here with correctly sized logos, ready to print on blank decal paper with a good color inkjet or laser printer.

Edited by KursadA
5 hours ago, Nebbor said:

Not blaming anyone, just trying to find out WHY. And if you took some 5 minutes of your time (as I did) to find out the status of MDD trademark(s) you would have found they don't exist anymore since the late 90's. So everybody is free to use that design. The NASA trademarks on the other hand are still active. Tread carefully, maybe some lawyers listening in...

Jeeezzzizzz, guy, you're friggin' exhausting. 

You have a custom sheet...move on.

13 hours ago, 82Whitey51 said:

Jeeezzzizzz, guy, you're friggin' exhausting. 

You have a custom sheet...move on.

Yes, one custom sheet that could have done without this in the first place. Done with these replies, please send your hate mail by PM, thank you.