Bare Metal and Varnish Question

I have never in my long on-again, off again modeling career painted a bare metal finish.  As I am starting back up with an old T-33 kit as a first project, I'm wondering if applying a varnish over a bare aluminum paint is OK, or not?  If it is OK, what varnish, gloss or semi-gloss, or whatever, is appropriate.  If it is not OK, how does one seal decals on such a finish?  All advice and opinions on the topic are thankfully welcome.

I've seen it done both ways, but my preference is to avoid any clear coat over a replicated natural metal finish (as would be the case with a T-33). I usually use one of more Alclad shades for the NMF, apply the decals directly to it, and, if absolutely necessary, apply clear coat just to the decals.

Not all varnishes are equal. From what I know, only Alclad Aqua Gloss and AK Gauzy Agent don't alter the appearance of the metal finish. So if your NMF is a bit fragile or you want to blend in decals sitting on top of the NMF use one of those two and it will still look like NMF.

If you used things like Future etc. you will definitely change the appearance of the NMF, it will look more like aluminium paint.

J

3 hours ago, JeffreyK said:

Not all varnishes are equal. From what I know, only Alclad Aqua Gloss and AK Gauzy Agent don't alter the appearance of the metal finish. So if your NMF is a bit fragile or you want to blend in decals sitting on top of the NMF use one of those two and it will still look like NMF.

If you used things like Future etc. you will definitely change the appearance of the NMF, it will look more like aluminium paint.

J

I'm not familiar with AK Gauzy Agent. What sort of surface does it produce?

Chuck54Oz3 over at largescaleplanes is an expert on this subject. He did post here but doesn't seem too anymore.

This thread has his thoughts.

https://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?/topic/60892-tamiya-f-15c-kicked-up-a-notch-dec-117-done/page/60/

Basically, all clear coats will dull a bare metal finish but Tamiya X-22 will dull it the least.

Thanks to all who answered, and thanks Alternative 4 for the link.  There sure is a lot to digest here, and I guess I will buy a box of plastic spoons and do some experimenting along the various lines suggested by you all.  Cheers!

• 2 years later...

Hello! Have you found the right varnish for yours? If so, could you provide me with some suggestions for metal varnishes or specific coloring products that you have used? I would like to apply varnish to my metal gate to restore its shine. Recently, I came across a finishing product, but before using it, I want to make an informed decision to ensure I make the right choice. Thank you in advance for your response and valuable suggestions.

I have fudged up by spraying on mr color series varnish on alclad. The lustrous finish from the pale burnt metal was turned into into dull boring “metal”. O wells lesson learned, passing that lesson on.