CD48228 - 1/48 Aggressors Now and Then

• 4 months later...
  • 5 months later...

May be I am missing it but who makes a kit of the Mig 23MS Flogger E in 1/48?  I have a kit for the 1/48 Mig 23BN Flogger H but can not locate

a Flogger E kit.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

2 hours ago, Bo105flyer said:

May be I am missing it but who makes a kit of the Mig 23MS Flogger E in 1/48?  I have a kit for the 1/48 Mig 23BN Flogger H but can not locate

a Flogger E kit.  

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

Steve,

ESCI, ESCI-ERTL made both a Flogger B & D kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/esci-scale-craft-sc-4022-mig-23s-flogger-b--178132

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/amt-ertl-8877-mig-27-flogger-d--1025743

Can't speak to the quality as I have never owned one, but I have heard that the cockpit and undercarriage detail is pretty spartan. 

HTH,  Dutch 

Yes, I have researched the variant and have seen the one on display at the USAF museum in Dayton,OH.  My question is which kit manufacturer makes a kit in 1:48 scale of the MiG 23MS Flogger E or will I have to do some scratch building?

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

While nobody does a Mig-23MS kit per se, my understanding is that the MS is an export variant of the M and should be similar to that airframe in general terms. I don't know what the differences are, but I believe building an -MS from the Trumpeter M or MF kits is relatively straightforward. You can pose the question in the Jet Modeling forum and I am sure various folks knowledgeable in Russian aviation will help out.

16 hours ago, Bo105flyer said:

My question is which kit manufacturer makes a kit in 1:48 scale of the MiG 23MS Flogger E or will I have to do some scratch building?

As KursadA mentions the MS was the export version, it denotes a down graded radar and possibly comms but nothing externally that I ever discovered.

It's worth reading Red Eagles by Steve Davies, there's a lot of flying info included. The MiG-23 apparently was pure speed. There's also of course America's Secret MiGs by Col. Peck who was the unit's first commander and made it happen.

zfrT10H.jpg

Yes Sir, both of those books are excellent and I have both.  
 On a side note, I was assigned to the 1st AH-64A Apache unit in the US Army back in

1986. One of the cool things we got to do was go TDY to Nellis AFB for 2 weeks to work with the USAF Fighter Weapons School to develop Joint Air Attack Tactics incorporating the new technology of the Apache with the ground attack assets of the Air Force (A-10, F-16, F-111, etc.). My Cav Troop worked with the A-10 community.  We could only fly during daylight hours (the Air Force was secretly testing & training aircrews in the F-117 at night back then). Our training area was about 120 miles northwest of Nellis and south of Tonopah, NV.  One day when we were flying our JAAT mission with the

A-10s, one of the Apache crews captured on video tape (aircraft gun camera) a silver aircraft glint. The Apache pilot zoomed in on it and recorded it.  During our mission debrief back at Nellis, we all saw the aircraft., which to us looked like a MiG 17. The Air Force Intelligence officer assigned to our training told us it was an F-86 used for threat tactics and took the tape.  Some years later after I was out of the Army and the books about the Red Eagles were published,  I found out it was actually a 

Mig 17 from an old army buddy.  Those were the fun days of my army days.

Thanks for the info.

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA

The main issue that is relevant as far as kit parts are concerned is the canopy. MS often had one with a central frame as included in the Trumpeter MF but not afaik the M kit. So the MF is recommended for conversion to MS. You’ll also need to change some panel lines and antennae on the nose as well as the hinge on the rudder. MS has only one piston. No kit includes this currently.

btw, forget about the Esci kit, it’s basically a toy compared to trumpeter. Jon Bryon did a great M build where he points out the issues found in the trumpeter kit still. 

If you already have the Trumpeter M, Ciro Models of Czechia makes a MF/S vacu canopy, also correcting the „bubble-shape“ that trumpeter put in their canopy.  

Also, for the BN, I strongly recommend the Cold War Studio nose correction. The Trumpeter kit got the shape completely wrong. 

Th

On 5/16/2023 at 7:24 AM, David.D said:

The main issue that is relevant as far as kit parts are concerned is the canopy. MS often had one with a central frame as included in the Trumpeter MF but not afaik the M kit. So the MF is recommended for conversion to MS. You’ll also need to change some panel lines and antennae on the nose as well as the hinge on the rudder. MS has only one piston. No kit includes this currently.

btw, forget about the Esci kit, it’s basically a toy compared to trumpeter. Jon Bryon did a great M build where he points out the issues found in the trumpeter kit still. 

If you already have the Trumpeter M, Ciro Models of Czechia makes a MF/S vacu canopy, also correcting the „bubble-shape“ that trumpeter put in their canopy.  

Also, for the BN, I strongly recommend the Cold War Studio nose correction. The Trumpeter kit got the shape completely wrong. 

Thanks for the info, it will be handy when I build.

Thanks Guys!

Steve Sliger

Greenwell Springs, LA