The Golden Age of Scale Modeling

5 hours ago, STEN8 said:

"I build scale models...therefore I am."   Socrates, I think.

This thread took an entirely unexpected twist.😀

Harry

Lutz, FL

Rene Descartes    'I think therefor I am '  Or originally,    “Je pense, donc je suis   OR LATIN-- Cogito, ergo sum,”

Steve

Okay, that's the best yet! The Bard, no less.

He built Frog and Hawk models, I am sure. He may even have ventured in the Realm of Rare Planes vacuform, a place where many brave men, including myself, fear to tread.

Harry

Lutz, FL

Thanks, Scorvi. My US Navy provided high school diploma overlooked some of the trivial things, like philosophy, history and most of all the social sciences - and I have been playing catch-up ever since!

😀

Harry

Lutz, FL

"THESE are the times that try modeler's souls. The Tamiya builder and plastic assembler will, in this crisis, shrink from the vac-form & short-run kits; but the modeler that builds limited, resin and vac. kits now, deserves the love and thanks of general modeling community. "

6 minutes ago, STEN8 said:

Thanks, Scorvi. My US Navy provided high school diploma overlooked some of the trivial things, like philosophy, history and most of all the social sciences - and I have been playing catch-up ever since!

😀

Harry

Lutz, FL

Harry

You are doing just fine!!  I do this shoot for a living.  I am  college history professor so I am sooooo glad you have an interest in my field which is going along the wayside of the younger gen.--who see little $$ value in history   

You knew the quote and you knew it was a philosopher.....that is wayyyy more than most people!!    OF course modelers are my kind of people!!!

Steve,

Edited by scorvi
spelling

Thanks, Steve. I guess if you keep turning enough pages some of it might stick.Just glad to be along for the ride. 😀

Wasn't it Santanya (misspelling) who wrote "Those who ignore history are doomed to repeat it."? I am certain I, like countless others, have misattributed and mangled that quote somehow. Cliche' to be sure, yet relevant to your point.

A dearly missed night rim editor named Jim Head once patiently explained to me - "Oh, Harry, it's called a cliche' because it's true." He was a good guy.

Now I'm racking my brain. I must consult my muse and compose a line as worthy of chiseling into the marble of modeling lore as those worthies before.

Harry

Lutz,FL

Perhaps this,

Methinks 'twill not crimson my cheeks with shame. Forward!!

Come my friends,

'Tis not too late to strive against a larger scale.

Push off, and peering, with stout hearts smite

quarter scale; for my purpose holds

To finish my kits, following

the 1/72nd and 1/700th stars, until I die.

It may be that panel lines grow ever fainter 

It may be that our gimlet eyes shall falter,

And we return to Monogram and Linderg, whom we knew.

Tho' much is built, our wallets abide, and tho'

We are not now the swift arrows slicing through

four, nay, five kits a week

That which we build, we build

Liegemen to our scales,

One equal temper of bellicose hubris

To buy, to stash, to squint and not to yield.

Alfred, Lord Tennyson

Harry

Lutz, FL

Well...if right now is the golden age of modeling, what then was the dark ages? My golden age was as a kid when i would just slap together kits and find so much joy doing just that and nothing more. That time has passed, but this simple joy of modeling can be rediscovered if you know where to look and come to realize what makes the hobby golden. It may not be so much the availability of so much quality stuff, but rather the simple idea of knowing what makes you a happy camper.

It doesn`t have to be complicated, it just has to be fun 😉 

Now that is an interesting and provocative line of thought. And one I shall have to really reflect upon.  I had so much fun gluing Airfix Zeroes and Wildcats together and dogfighting with them even before the glue dried, and having an absolute blast.  

Perhaps the Golden Age of Modeling is any age of modeling.

Great point! Thanks

Harry

Lutz, FL

Well, and here I am building 1/48 OV-10 Hawk kits made in the 1960's and as Kramer said it:

"I'm loving every minute of it"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F0_tVMLnj94