1/72 HobbyBoss HH-60J USCG

I got a good deal on this so I will build it warts and all. I am leaving it as is a J model not a T that's now in use. Here is my start. I have the seats built and most of the interior painted.

Jayhawk 2.jpg

Jayhawk 3.jpg

• 3 months later...

I have more parts on. I want to do it as a retro yellow painted Centennial one and thought I needed decals. I checked pictures and the markings on the standard orange and white painted ones are the same as the retro yellow ones except the retro ones do not use the orange with blue trimmed diagonal stripe on the rear fuselage, that area on the retro yellow one is all yellow with no stripes at all. So I can use the kit decals for my retro version.

Jayhawk 10.jpg

Jayhawk 11.jpg

Thanks TT. There are a couple different ones for the Centennial version, badges to celebrate that occasion but the standard military markings and maintenance markings look the same on both versions. I am going to search E bay and see if they have a cheap set for the Yellow retro version with the Centennial badges.

I initially thought the same as you when I saw your decal request post - that the majority of markings look the same, which is largely true...

....except for various stencil markings across the airframe that were either red or yellow on the 'standard' scheme - and are all black on the 'retro' one...

Thanks not ALL stencils are black on the retro scheme, a LOT are red on the retro scheme. Some yellow have to be black on the retro scheme obviously. I am searching for the ones that are yellow on the kit to see if I can find them cheaper on the after market decals. So far the only after market ones look cheap and useless for $42.00. Thats a bit steep for me for only needing a couple stencils!

Edited by jonwinn
spelling error

Now I go back and take a closer look at a few of them, you are indeed correct - it appears that what were red stencils have stayed that way, and in actual fact, some of what were yellow are not now black but also red, such as the cabin door rescue markings: 50415771297_f3666e4de8_o.jpg

There's a nice set of 10 good-size photos of Elizabeth City's 6006 here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/redripper24/29454852690/in/photostream/

Whilst in these, 6042 can be seen with the Cape Cod station badge applied on both sides, which avoids the issue of the USCG anniversary one: https://www.gettyimages.co.uk/photos/mh-60-jayhawk

And though the latter is supplied on the Air Graphics decals which @Dutch pointed you towards, examination of the sheet reveals that no stencilling is provided at all for either of the two MH-60T options - and that the tail marking on it for 6042 actually reads 'HH-60J'...

Edited by andyf117