F4U with 2 different main gear tire treads in 1950

This just crossed my path on Tumblr, a F4U with 2 different main gear tire treads in 1950,

Deck crew make final checks on a F4U-4B of VMF-214 before a mission from USS Sicily (CVE-118), 1950

https://www.tumblr.com/usaac-official/724580451146252288/deck-crew-make-final-checks-on-a-f4u-4b-of-vmf-214

I've seen things like that before, the kind of mix and match of components on Navy and Marine aircraft. Like STORM said, you just kind of have to go with what's on hand and will work. 

The F6F-3 at Pensacola was restored using the same tires it had on it when it went into Lake Michigan and the tread patterns are different on each side. Heck, the cowling panels are mismatched! I want to say that the left side is correct (has the fairing over the exhaust) and the right side must have been taken from a later airplane (no fairing).

• 3 weeks later...

One has to wonder if they had two treads types intentionally (as opposed to just different contractors or batches)...

A tread for smooth surfaces (paved airports and carriers)

and a more aggressive tread for use on muddy fields (which I expect were common in the South Pacific)?

It was an application for combating engine torque on takeoff with differential drag on the main wheels, much like the offset in the vertical stabilizer. 

Please don’t believe that….

Rick L