Takom AH-64E Guardian paint guide...?

First time Ive ever opened a Takom kit, absolutely blown away by how nice this model is, but the instructions are very sadly lacking where it comes to painting things...and I mean anything. I can guess as to what colors certain things will be, but some of the finer details Ive never even seen before -even in pictures...such as the swash plates, mechanical linkage, mast head, etc...stuff normally hidden that look like they are visible in this model. Id love it if someone could point me in the right direction for references -paint or otherwise because Im utterly clueless to Apache structural stuff!

and Im not sure these are accurate, but I am assuming they are close...even though it is painted something inappropriate, it shows me at least what parts are painted fuselage colors.

8VmQkvs.jpg

qFpiDTg.jpg

jHvHW2s.jpg

Edited by utley

No they won’t.  Clicking on them gives this error

Sorry, there is a problem

This attachment is not available. It may have been removed or the person who shared it may not have permission to share it to this location.

Error code: 2C171/1

Where are the pictures hosted?  The file names shown Screen-xxxxxxx.bmp, without any pathway, imply the the files are on your computer, which means only you can download/see them.  The file has to be on an external website like Photobucket, Imgur, Imageshack, etc.  Plus the file has to allow others to access.

The paper clip at the bottom of the posting box that says “Drag files here to attach, or choose file…” does not work.  Attachment uploads are actually disabled for this forum.

Ive never built a hasegawa kit before, and looking at this Im glad I havent...those instructions are all over the place! Im trying to make sense of the painting of the rotor hub and the mast and the only color I can make out is black for the blades. Really having a hard time figuring out what A is...Ill research it for a while and see if I can make sense of it. Thanks!

To be honest, you’re far better off looking at a walk around and seeing the colors yourself, because no model instructions are going to show all of the different shades and colors.  Any decent walkaround is going to show the rotor hubs.  Here’s one, but many more are easily found on the web.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=184

45 minutes ago, Dave Williams said:

To be honest, you’re far better off looking at a walk around and seeing the colors yourself, because no model instructions are going to show all of the different shades and colors.  Any decent walkaround is going to show the rotor hubs.  Here’s one, but many more are easily found on the web.

https://www.largescaleplanes.com/walkaround/wk.php?wid=184

Im a bit colorblind, I cant tell what color most of those hubs are. I want to say steel, but the shade looks very much like the olive drab color of the main paint job to me.

• 5 weeks later...

Im thinking they arent painted at all and they are just high speed steel tempered in oil. Its the same color you would see drill bits quenched in the same way from what I can tell....but thats just me.

7 minutes ago, utley said:

Im thinking they arent painted at all and they are just high speed steel tempered in oil. Its the same color you would see drill bits quenched in the same way from what I can tell....but thats just me.

They are definitely painted. Those components are all alloy of some type, aluminum mostly. Steel would be far too heavy. 

1520207669521?e=2147483647&v=beta&t=8Vrz

Here's a good close up image. The dark parts are all painted the same Helo-drab color as the airframe. The mast is stainless or CRES. All the bare metal parts are titanium I believe. Rotor blades are flat black.

Ok, good to know. I painted mine airframe aluminum out of chance so I can put some chipping fluid later on if I found out something definitive and paint it whatever, put some chipping effects down, etc.

3 hours ago, jbryan911 said:

Here's an example from a few years ago.

Im glad you posted that, it shows me a piece on the landing gear I had a question how its positioned. These instructions = blech.

Edited by utley