27 minutes ago, Sarathi S. said:

Holy cow that rocks, how did you get the TEDAC screen to function?

Had it professionally built. Going to go directly into the cockpit for the DCS AH-64D Blk 2. Very fun module to fly!

3 hours ago, utley said:

Had it professionally built. Going to go directly into the cockpit for the DCS AH-64D Blk 2. Very fun module to fly!

Dayum!   That looks amazing. 

• 1 month later...
Posted (edited)

Work now continues on the AH-64E as of today. Spent a few hours working on the 3D parts and within a few minutes, dazed and confused -AGAIN - by the Takom instructions. I SHALL PREVAIL. I also corrected the pylons being dissimilar as one side was set to cruise flight while the other was set for ground stow.

faP4G25.jpg

Also have my new "studio" to work and paint in. Ive decided I am going to close the hatch on the avionics bays and the doors, but will have the blade fold kit installed. Might keep the engines open, still debating on whether or not to use the 3D printed Quintas avionics bay decals on this one too. Ill start working those very soon on another kit and see just how difficult it would be to work them into this one so Im still undecided on the avionics bays on this one. Since I cannot fix the alignment problem with the cockpit door post, the cabin will be closed.

Edited by utley

Back to work on the first E I started. Got the RFI and the Longbow done, finished building the main hub. Also test fit the blades last night and wow...they fit perfectly to my amazement, so going to paint all this up tonight and prepare the blade fold kit as well. Not going to glue the mast down until the last moment, but also getting the smaller details finished on this one. It doesnt look all that great all things considered that mistakes were made, but absolutely should work with the overall wear and tear Im going to detail in. Never could figure out why the armored plate fits poorly as theres nothing wrong with the alignment of the cockpit, but decided to remove it and close the canopy up. Its for the best.

VpZh3wt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

Since the last time I posted, a flashlight wand I was using landed on my first E kit and smashed up the tail end really good. Its not all busted up, but the tail end will be a delicate task of rework now since I have to pull out some spares from my butt to install here. Busted a main really good too, but thankfully not much else to report on. Im going to put this thing in a corner for a bit and figure out what Im going to do with it and for the meantime Ill get the Saraf completed. Ive a few booboos to work out on that kit too, but nothing quite that serious either. Started putting the blade stowage kits together. This is the model that has the canopy alignment issue OOB, so no rush fixing it.

Edited by utley
Posted (edited)

Got the avionics bay for the Saraf completed. This kit was the Quintas Avionics Suite for the Meng model, so had to do some VERY MINOR surgery for it to work. Nothing big, just cut some small things off and placed them where they belonged. Otherwise great fit.

MAs9Q1v.jpg

Edited by utley

took to the engine bays on the Saraf today to bust some work out on the nacelles.  Engine fit as well to see how well things fit, and so far so good.

4RWiIPd.jpg1vwSrpN.jpghlxx1qn.jpg668mFOh.jpgCl8XGUM.jpg1tVfCNr.jpg

Another update on the Saraf:

120 gal fuel tanks added to the wings via neodymium magnets as well as the Spike NLOS antenna. The spike system is currently in work at the moment with a few problems being sorted out with new stuff...now to figure out why my Apache is sitting crooked.

3lTOSbZ.jpgPxvnwdy.jpg

t3GaPAp.jpgUKTGtsR.jpg

Posted (edited)

Decided to build an extra set of engines to replace in one of my builds. Think it looks better than the others by far...still have to put the hydro and fuel lines on and some detailing later.

Edit: finished connecting all the lines and managed to FINALLY get them all in the correct spot without breaking anything, losing anything, or smudging anything.

NPpMBId.jpg

9o62hrv.jpg

e7ipGnD.jpg

Edited by utley

I think you've exhausted the after market kits good job I know its a lot of work and sometimes purchasing from questionable sources to get what you want. The DCS world is something I am fighting to stay way from if I go down that rabbit hole ill end up with a scrap Harrier cockpit in my rec room! your kits looking sick with detail great to see your taking it to the next level. The next poor slob that builds an Apache has some big shoes to fill.

Edited by Night Owl Models
spelling
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind words, Dave!

Anyways, update...got the Saraf wings ready with some detachable pylons. On this Saraf I will have the open pylons with the Spike NLOS on the o/b rails and fuel tanks inboard. Mind you these will all be detachable, so I will have some rocket pods and hellfire racks made up for them as well, but these examples are ready for painting. I also had fixed the landing gear struts as either I mislocated one strut when I glued it or it just popped out when I set it down after gluing it. Will be probably replacing the gear with a set from Simone Plai here shortly provided I just dont just rush and glue the avionics bays to the helicopter. Getting to that point where I just want this thing finished, and this is the part where I ultimately just give up because I screwed something up because Im impatient.

Edited by utley

5WK78J1.jpg

50l1Acf.jpg

TzNoscu.jpg

l2Gg3mf.jpg

At a great stopping point on the Saraf while I wait on some parts to arrive by snail mail. Apparently, Takom forgot to model the armored plating on the bottom of the ships that most apaches are equipped with, so I have new pieces being fabricated for that as well as new landing gears. Meanwhile, I fixed the tail section from the E that was crushed under my flashlight a few weeks ago and it came out better than it was before. Its nice to have a spares box when you can afford it...

I will likely have the E done in the next few weeks sans weapons. The E will not have removable weapons pylons, but the Saraf will. Will see what I can do to make the weapons racks themselves removable, but for now the pylons are permanent.