I still cant come to grip with how this armored plate is fitting so I might just forgo it altogether. This whole cockpit tub only fits in one spot, that pilot combing only fits in one spot, and the armored plate fits in only one place.

In other news, making progress on the Saraf.  Main rotor mast is complete, engines are complete just needs painting, cockpit sans seats are complete, exhaust is next on the detailing list. These little parts love being sacrificed to the carpet monster for some reason...really wish they would just NOT put them on sprues altogether where they can be chopped up by merely cutting them off the sprues or flung out to the farthest reach of space time at breakneck speeds that are beyond human eye comprehension. Nuclear launched manhole cover so to speak.

IlAyEON.jpg

Update: making progress on the AH-64I.  Going to paint some interior parts then assemble the fuselage tomorrow. Building the exhaust sleeves now, engines have a tad bit of work to go through. Lots of other work assembled and ready for fit, most of the small stuff is finished. the RFI is almost complete as well, just need cables attached. Lots of cleaning up to do.

JqUaXdK.jpg

11pSrB2.jpg

CftYMfC.jpg

Edited by utley

Seats are done, pits 99% complete now. Going to do some test fits and see if I can physically move the cockpit tub aft 1-2mm to get the armor plate in the correct place.

Edit: no real way to get around moving the full tub aft 1mm without "other" fitment issues. This so far is the only issue Ive encountered with this kit, but unfortunately its a major issue. How did they mess this up so bad??

Spj4MPK.jpg

GlVq1ba.jpg

Even the mold line on the left cockpit shows the armored plate where it belongs, so WITAF.

p2guB0K.jpg

Edited by utley

Ok, tiny update for today: I didnt catch this until NOW. So theres going to be a tiny little addition to my 64I Saraf since I missed deleting this flare mount on the tail boom. So the blister is staying, but for future reference this blister goes away early in the build. I thought it was kinda nutty the instructions said to cut it off, but I missed it before I glued the fuselage together. D'OH.

KP3sKT8.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Taking a tad small break from the build waiting on more of my aftermarket parts to come in. Here are the black ops rocket pods and rocket refills that came in today...they look awesome!

HZp7EBr.jpg

OW5ckmu.jpg

Stupid ME, Ive decided to order the AH-64D Late Blk II with the updated cockpit. Since I have too many goodies, Ill go ahead and build this thing too...man this model is FUUUUUN. Ill start working on everything again mid week or so, right now its just mainly painting and small stuff. Ive replacement M299 missile racks arriving tomorrow. The plan is to install a 1x1mm neodymium magnet in the missile pylons and rocket pods. The ResKit M299 racks I have were being re-manufactured due to some printing error that warped the missile racks on the kits that I have, should be here tomorrow. New articulating M230 chain gun in both stowed and flight position to arrive tomorrow as well.

Since the US Army Apache's are going to be slated to carry APKWS in future deployments (if not already), Im going to make these interchangeable: fuel tanks inboard racks/M299 missile racks with AGM-114K/L mixes, possibly swapping out pylons as well. From the looks of it, the missile racks use a different mounting point to the rack than the fuel tank mounting point, and therefore the pylon needs to swap out too.

Edited by utley

Theres more than a few issues with these kits, like how the nose section of the aircraft is very well rounded while the model is flattened. I havent seen a CMWS controller in either cockpit either. Ill pour through the kit and see what the major differences are, and I havent seen an E cockpit yet...but I am somewhat familiar with the Blk 2 Apache D.

late edit: guns and racks came in today, along with a spare Red Fox AH-64E pit for some reason or other...dunno because I didnt buy it, but here I am. Missile racks still have a tad bit of downward droop to them, but wont complain because its barely noticeable and will be bent back in shape with the missile on the rail. Will post pics later when I return home from work.

Edited by utley

M230 gun barrel in fly position is missing the attaching nipple for the receiver. Easy fix, but told Reskit about the problem so they can fix it.

GExHBZQ.jpg

You can see it clearly, its the bottom barrel. I have a metal barrel set, I might use it instead of this one but its in the same boat as this kits.

4kTVYV6.jpg

Gun came out perfectly, this ones the parked version. Not assembled yet, but will be painted before installation.

WcuW4Ez.jpg

Missile racks came out fine.

m4mrA63.jpg

TRDsJZG.jpg

Will start working the magnets into some sacrificed racks tonight to see how they work. Maybe trial an AGM-114 from the kit as well to see if I can place missiles with magnets in the rails as well. If not, will just let the rack itself be attached via magnet.

Edited by utley

First test with an M299 and pylon yielded me good results. I feel like I can camouflage the magnet in the pylon adapter, but its every bit as wide as the adapter itself so I had break out on one side. The pylon I used was the right side outboard, and the magnet is showing outboard so unfortunately will be very much visible, but looking at it makes me think it can be concealed effectively. The missile rail itself is trashed so I cant use this particular one. The rails are too thin to support a magnet, but maybe if I find a 1mm x 1mm Ill give it a shot again..but Im thinking they wont be powerful enough and the rails are too brittle so Im going to skip this effort.

Also, these kits have different mounts for different payloads. There are adapters for fuel tanks, adapters for missile rails, and adapters for the rocket pods. Each one do look visually different, and you have to use the correct part for the payload you want. All in all I think this was a success.

EbByXuy.jpg

8K2rqXZ.jpg

On 9/1/2023 at 6:39 AM, 11bee said:

Just discovered this build.  Nice work!   I'm doing a similar build over on LSP and on the Apache modeler's FB page.   I'll be following closely.    Keep up the good work. 

quick question: can you provide a link please? Id like to compare notes and I just joined that forum the other day. Also contacted a person from Italy there that has a bunch of 3D printed stuff Im highly tempted to get for both these Apache builds plus the Academy AH-1Z Ive been working on for a few months now thats been on the back burner.

1 hour ago, utley said:

quick question: can you provide a link please? Id like to compare notes and I just joined that forum the other day. Also contacted a person from Italy there that has a bunch of 3D printed stuff Im highly tempted to get for both these Apache builds plus the Academy AH-1Z Ive been working on for a few months now thats been on the back burner.

Here you go.   With regards to 3D printed bits, there are two gents who offer very nice bits for this kit.   I've purchased from both and am very pleased with their products.   The guy from Italy (Simone Plai) is working on a MUMT-x antenna for the rotor hub and (a bit further down the road, a correct M-DAS sensor (can't believe the kit that that part wrong) and JAGM AGM-179 missiles.   I'll be purchasing both. 

Here's the link to my build over on LSP. 

Heavy Attack - US Army AH-64E Apache Guardian - Page 4 - Works in Progress - Large Scale Planes

Going to be back to the model this weekend. On a side note, the Takom Apache Blk II is on the way from HLJ Japan and it will be here in a few days. Going to get the engines painted this week and post pics when Im finished.

22 minutes ago, utley said:

Going to be back to the model this weekend. On a side note, the Takom Apache Blk II is on the way from HLJ Japan and it will be here in a few days. Going to get the engines painted this week and post pics when Im finished.

Cool.  Have one on the way from Ali Express.  Are you going to build it as is?  I’m thinking of either transferring the cockpit parts to an E kit, or just cutting off the E helmet sensors and adding the D helmet sensors from the Quinta set.

Edited by Dave Williams

Not sure yet.  The upgrade set in the video below is whats going to go in it or it will go in the spare E kit.  I have a spare Red Fox kit as well but Im going to compare the kits with an updated D Blk 2 model and see where the descrepancies are, probably wont include the pilots. Not really interested in trying to paint those new army uniforms as it hurts my eyes........

Edited by utley

Detailing the engines finally underway. Exhaust sleeves kept wanting to split on me when I put the nozzles on so Im thinking this ones going to be closed. Maybe not, I dont know since I might just be able to either hide it or fix them.

qWHOTna.jpg

aMGbAHW.jpg

k4UJLzA.jpg

GlAMngk.jpg

these are real rough right now and I still dont have all the hardware on them, but going to spend a few days getting these things looking good.

• 3 weeks later...

Update: pylons are coming along. Since the magnet idea came out great, I found some 1mm neo magnets that are almost adequate for the job. Placed two of them in both the pylon and the M299 missile rack, and seems to be holding up fairly well. Used two to help hold the weight and to keep the racks in alignment.

y8iQF8Z.jpg

9vw56ze.jpg

Hanging a rocket pod as well tonight just to see how well my system works. Its looking like these might actually have to be hung permanently unless I can hide one of the magnets thats necessary to hold it in place.

Xnmzh8n.jpg

v4r7l9Y.jpg

Edited by utley