True north paints alternative thinner

I used true north have glass paint and mixed it with Mr color leveling thinner without a problem. 
when I was cleaning the cup with lacquer thinner I bought from Lowe’s, I noticed the paint turned brownish and the pigment solidified which made the cleaning tougher.

any thinner aside from true north thinner I can use to clean after using true north paint?

levelling thinner as well as true north thinner are a little expensive to use for that purpose

thanks

I just looked on their website and one line said "we are not picky about thinner either". It went on to say that "thinner" (my quotes) from the hardware/big box store would work also.

Since they are described as alkyd enamels....maybe paint thinner/mineral spirits?

Bob

Hi dann

Coincidently, I had the same thing happen to me last week. I recently picked up a few bottles of True North enamel paints and decided to test one (International Orange)on a test plastic spoon. I diluted it with MR Color Leveling Thinner and it sprayed well. I then tried to clean my airbrush with Klean Strip lacquer thinner from Home Depot and got the the same pigment sludge that you saw. It about doubled the time it took to clear my airbrush as it clogged the nozzle tip.

Since then, I did two more test sprays using True North Gloss Artic White and also Gloss Black. This time I thinned the paint using Klean Strip brand Odorless Mineral Spirits and did most of my clean-up using the odorless mineral spirits as it is about the same price as lacquer thinner at Home Depot. Both of these sprayed well and more importantly, both cleaned up in my airbrush with no problems. I did not see any sludge with the gloss white or black. I probably should reshoot the orange with the odorless mineral spirits when I have the time to confirm the test results with the white and black. BTW, the owner of True North paints told me that the Home Depot Odorless Mineral Spirits would be a good substitute for their thinner in a pinch.

I was surprised with the sludge as I use the MR Color Leveling Thinner and cleanup with cheap lacquer thinner with my Xtracolor enamel paints and my dwindling supply of Model Master enamel paints with no problem.

Post the results of whatever thinner combo you find that works eve if it confirms the ones that I tried.

Have fun modeling!

Mike

Thank you guys

appreciate your inputs

will try the Home Depot odorless mineral spirits 

BTW, I did notice that some MM paints I used did the same thing ( forming paint sludge ) using the Lowe’s lacquer thinner. I am not sure whether they changed the formulation of the lacquer thinner

Wow thank you all for posting your experiences with the True North Paint as I myself have purchased a few at this year’s Nationals.

Ill definitely go with the mineral spirits as the cleaning thinner of choice. 

Many thanks for the heads up.

Mr. Happy 

Just an update:

bought the klean strip brand of odorless mineral spirits at Walmart and used it to clean my airbrush including the paint cup with it after using true north and the small bottles testor a paint without any sludge. 
so this one is a good alternative to cleaning one’s airbrush after using true north paint

Dann,

Thanks for you for sharing your experience/ update on the True North Paint. TNP

I’ve spread the gospel to some others that have purchased the paint and are having difficulty with there thinner of choice reacting with the TNP.

The Orderless Mineral Spirits seems to be the best option for this brand.

Mr.Happy

5 hours ago, dann said:

Just an update:

bought the klean strip brand of odorless mineral spirits at Walmart and used it to clean my airbrush including the paint cup with it after using true north and the small bottles testor a paint without any sludge. 
so this one is a good alternative to cleaning one’s airbrush after using true north paint

You can also use Klean Strip Xylene, which I've switched to, for cleaning up my Model Master enamels. I agree with Geoff, the lacquer thinner from the box stores has changed.

Steve