AMMO MIG 17F 1/48

It is not painted, this is stainless steel panel of the air brake. They did not polish it, it was like this as it is. Same stainless steel airbrake panels were used on earlier MiG-15 versions.

The rounded panel covering the actuating hydraulic jack is painted simply because it was from ordinary cast metal which in most cases would rust away easily. So it had to be painted for corrosion protection and to go with the rest of the aircraft it was painted with Aluminium paint.  The second photo shows clearly streaks of rust running down the stainless steel surface from the rounded panel.  

Some air forces repainted this part of the airbrake with different colours.

The first and last photo is a good example when the whole aircraft is painted with Aluminium paint, the surface becomes featureless and very uniform, there are no rivets visible only the bigger screw heads or service panels!

Best regards

Gabor

20 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

It is not painted, this is stainless steel panel of the air brake. They did not polish it, it was like this as it is. Same stainless steel airbrake panels were used on earlier MiG-15 versions.

The rounded panel covering the actuating hydraulic jack is painted simply because it was from ordinary cast metal which in most cases would rust away easily. So it had to be painted for corrosion protection and to go with the rest of the aircraft it was painted with Aluminium paint.  The second photo shows clearly streaks of rust running down the stainless steel surface from the rounded panel.  

Some air forces repainted this part of the airbrake with different colours.

The first and last photo is a good example when the whole aircraft is painted with Aluminium paint, the surface becomes featureless and very uniform, there are no rivets visible only the bigger screw heads or service panels!

Best regards

Gabor

Thank you very much for your information ! Dai 

Hi all,

I did not install the fuselage antenna until after painting as I do not want to knock it off during sanding and painting. BIG mistake. The antenna base just does not seat well into the recessed box even after thining the base and the rectangular border gaps just look horrible, especially on NMF. After sanding and filling that went no where, I cut the antenna off and sand the base smooth with the airframe. Imagine doing that on painted NMF surface! I will highlight the base by shadowing it with dry brushing then glue the antenna with white glue. Here you can see my unexperienced mistakes. On the real plane, you barely see the base. On the kit, way to pronounced and on NMF, sticks out like a sore foot unless it is Tamiya's fit ! Dai 

387072036_6695272190563014_5244518869209332891_n.jpg

387044420_6695272217229678_6270032127102440713_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Hi all,

I got a reply from Ammo regarding the seat and the attachments. I tried the resin seat again and it does not fit.  Ammo instruction says to scrape of the tubings molded in the sides so the sides can fit flush to allow the fuselage halves to fit without the gap. Could this make a change in width that makes mine not fitting and Ammo to fit? Here is the images sent from Ammo. Dai 

Good morning,

How are you? I hope you are very well.

We did tests during development and now after receiving your message with two seats. As you can see in the attached pictures the seat fits perfectly and is more correct both in dimensions and detail if you compare it with the plastic one.

Please can you send us a picture of the seat in place to try to see what could be the problem?

Thank you for contacting us, I look forward to your response.
--
Wendy García

thumbnail (1).jpg

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

There are 2 possibilities on why Ammo fits and mine does not. First perhaps the side tubings were not sanded down as recommended in the addendum sheet so their test piece has wider width than mine. Second the use of the Red Fox 3D panels decreases the width of the tube thus not allowing the resin seat to sit. You can see the Ammo test is without the 3D panels. I have 3 spare kits so I am going to test fit the resin seat as is and will let you know shortly. Dai 

Edited by dai phan

OK gangs,

I see the problem now. If you assemble the tube as IS without shaving the side tubes, then you will have the proper width (barely) to fit the resin seat.  But then the fuselage may not close properly. You can see the gap pointed by the arrow on Ammo test piece. Second if you use the 3D panels this will reduce the width even more making the resin seat impossible to fit. Conclusion? The resin seat is oversized and should be at the same width as the plastic seat. You still can use the resin seat if you do not shave the tubings but shave the mating surfaces on the tub/fuselage allowing the fuselage halves to fit without the gap. And if you use the 3D panels, shave extra of the plastic say .5 mm more so the panels would not affect the fit of the resin seat. Way too much work in my view. Ammo should go ahead and resize and reprint to save us lots of hassles. And offer to send us replacements free of charge. Dai 

PS: I reckon when the resin company designed the seat they did it without knowing the sides tubes have to be sanded down affecting the width. Also did not account for the thickness of the 3D panels. 

thumbnail.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Howdy modelers,

I use the kit's mask on the canopy and it is not as accurate as it could be. Poor adhesion allows paint seepage so I went ahead and order the Eduard's mask. The front windshield does not fit well so I should have glued it in, puttied and sanded then paint the airframe. You could get away waiting at the last minute to install but not on this one due to poor fit. Dai 

387081703_6697271063696460_6192725842735920383_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
16 hours ago, dai phan said:

. . . As you can see in the attached pictures the seat fits perfectly and is more correct both in dimensions and detail if you compare it with the plastic one.

Please can you send us a picture of the seat in place to try to see what could be the problem?

Thank you for contacting us, I look forward to your response.
--
Wendy García

I am sorry but this is simply not true!

The 3D printed seat is about 1 mm wider than what the real seat is like! How do I know? Simple, I have the real “Curtain” type MiG-17 seat here in front of me at home!

The width of the seat is one thing which can be definitely compared on different aftermarket makes, since the height of the real seat can be adjusted and it is not really clear which manufacturer is producing their seat in which setting. But the width of the seat is always the same, so comparison should be made based on this. The widest point is at the front, on the covers of the leg rest hydraulic dampeners.  

Actually the plastic seat in the AMMO kit is almost the right size, only about 0.2mm smaller than the original seat.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
3 hours ago, ya-gabor said:

I am sorry but this is simply not true!

The 3D printed seat is about 1 mm wider than what the real seat is like! How do I know? Simple, I have the real “Curtain” type MiG-17 seat here in front of me at home!

The width of the seat is one thing which can be definitely compared on different aftermarket makes, since the height of the real seat can be adjusted and it is not really clear which manufacturer is producing their seat in which setting. But the width of the seat is always the same, so comparison should be made based on this. The widest point is at the front, on the covers of the leg rest hydraulic dampeners.  

Actually the plastic seat in the AMMO kit is almost the right size, only about 0.2mm smaller than the original seat.

Best regards

Gabor

I will link this thread to Wendy so she knows. I think we both agree the resin seat is oversized. Dai 

Hello everyone,

In the booth for the clear coat to be applied. The Intermediate Gauzy Agent is good stuff but suffers from short shelf life once opened. I have to buy a new bottle each time I do NMF unless the bottle was opened less than 3 months ago. Dai 

IMG_4143.jpeg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

Decals are applied and ready for the final clear coat. The antennas on the wings have poor fit so I had to do lots of trimmings to make them flushed but still looks horrible. With this kit you need to glue all small parts, fill, sand then paint rather than toward the end. The decals are strong and have excellent adhesion but thick like Tamiya’s. The red on the insignias have an orange hue rather than strong red. Dai

IMG_4150.jpeg

IMG_4151.jpeg

IMG_4154.jpeg

IMG_4153.jpeg

IMG_4155.jpeg

Edited by dai phan

Greetings,

So far my thoughts on this near completion project. The Premium Edition is a let down due to the oversized seat. You still can use the seat if you sand the inside of the fuse and the mating surface of the tub. Too much work that you should not have to do. The Red Fox 3D panel is usable but likely to be the wrong color as Gabor has pointed out. The Ginger Cat mask is non usable as the wheel masks are over sized and poor adhesion that allows paint seepage. Part fits is average at best. I left out some small parts to be glued in after the airframe painted but it was a mistake. The lower wing antennas and front windshield fit poorly that requires lots of trimming, puttying and sanding. Imagine doing this on already painted NMF surface!  Except for the fact the kit is more accurate then the HB kit, I do not see much significant improvements. With so much anticipation of this release I am disappointed. Unless Ammo reprints the seat, has new company to make the mask, I see nothing Premium Edition offers at this time. Save the extra 30 USD and get the regular version. Dai 

I have a feeling a lot of aftermarket seats are a little off, very often in order to fit the kit they were designed for. So I guess if they did the seat especially for the Ammo MiG cockpit it could be the same case here.

You MiG however looks great, with or without the ejection seat. Keep up the great work. I hope my early MiG's will end up half as good.

Greetings,

The resin ladder did not fare any better than the resin seat. Instead of over sized, it is way under sized. Way too short so un-usable. Or perhaps this is the type of ladder for the pilots to get onto the wings then to the cockpit? Dai

392808785_6720741831349383_5597497848943443040_n.jpg

392932384_6719605111463055_7536029138527701213_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan

Ok gangs,

The project is completed. 

PROS:

1. The best 1/48 Mig-17.

2. Finely engraved panel lines.

3. Open air brakes and dropped flaps.

4. Control surfaces can be posed at different positions with minor modifications (tabs removed). 

CONS:

1. Average fit at best.

2. The resin seat, rear canopy PE and ladder are un-usable due to wrong size.

3. Mask is un-usable due to inaccurate size and poor adhesion that causes paint seepage.

4. Many parts have no positive locking mechanism. The air brake is an example. You have to know where the parts go and use CA to glue. 

5. Premium Edition due to short comings does not add any value to the kit. Seat is over sized and ladder is undersized.

6. Missing linkages on the main landing gear.

7. Oversized nose gear struts (very noticeable). 

8. Lack of rivets. 

Pennyfront decal is strong with excellent adhesion but thick and the red has an orange tint rather than deep red. The Ammo kit offers better accuracy than the Hobby Boss kit. However part fit is average at best and Premium Edition does not live up to its name. I would rate this kit as average. Dai 

392930424_6720601738030059_1925078070766043941_n.jpg

392930573_6720604941363072_5489482668011201910_n.jpg

392940972_6720605268029706_1310079862917303583_n.jpg

393324644_6720602264696673_4904217509213685754_n.jpg

393392445_6720602838029949_8921260805006434503_n.jpg

393758829_6720603561363210_5574630637038998634_n.jpg

392939060_6720603114696588_8809215907494270996_n.jpg

393012984_6720601091363457_7708753285261222120_n.jpg

Edited by dai phan
3 hours ago, GeneK said:

Great thread, Dai. I appreciate your technical and hobby expertise, as well as the skill involved with putting the thread together.

Thanks,

Gene K

Thank you for your so kind words but I am just an average builder at best. Dai 

14 hours ago, dai phan said:

Hi all,

From clockwise: Hobby Craft, Hobby Boss and Ammo Mig 17 Fs in 1/48. Dai 

395374984_6729866003770299_8631009604263159746_n.jpg

Dai,

Many thanks for the details you provided on your MiG-17 build, and the comparison between the 3 kits.  You did a great job on the new one, looks really great, and you did all of us a great service in pointing out the problems with the AMMO kit.  I appreciate all you've done!