TAMIYA 1/48 F-16C+ (BLK 30)

This will be the build thread for my next 1/48 F-16 “Super build”.  It will be Buckley 87-0284 in HAVE GLASS camo gray. 

Here is my list of parts that I’ve acquired; I’m sure I’ll find some more…

Kit:

Tamiya F-16C/N (BLK 30) 1/48

Mods: 
MASTER AM 1:48 Pitot tube & AOA probes
Mini Craft Collection Exterior Detail set Part 1 (flare buckets, static wicks & air data probe)
Eduard 1/48 AN/AAQ-28(V) LITENING pod
Eduard 1/48 F16 Radar Late
Gloria Models F110 nozzle
Eduard 1/48 F16CJ Undercarriage kit (some parts)
Eduard 1/48 F-16 Falcon Early Wheels
Eduard 1/48 AIM-120C AMRAAM set
Eduard 1/48 AIM-9X Sidewinder set
Mini Craft Collection ACES II F16 Late seat
Aires 1/48 4370 F16C Wheel Bays (possible, but unlikely for BLK 30 due to gear differences)
Avionix Resin Set 1:48 BLC 48018 F-16CJ Block 50
KSM F-16 Late FOD set (engine covers)
Crossdelta F-16C Stiffener plates (for BLK 30 conversion)
Speed Hunter 5th GEN VIPER STENCILS
CARCD48194 1:48 Caracal Models Decals - F-16C Falcon “Dark Vipers” Part 3
Zeus Projects F-16C Canopy seals

(Possible mods)
Royal Resin F-16 nose
Aires 1/48 F16C Block 50/52 Cockpit set (possibly some parts)

Edited by mirvc17

You’ll need the lightweight gear and all new gear doors as well if you’re going from block 50 back to block 30.  You’d also want the Block 30 cockpit, not the CJ sets you reference.  Aires makes a 25/32 set, which would work.

Why not just use the C/N kit, which can be built as a Block 30 out of the box, and save yourself a lot of trouble?

Good tips! I didn’t think about the C/N kit… I’ll look into that. I might could use the BLK kit for a later possible project (a HAF BLK 52+). I forgot about the lightweight gear and doors. AKAIK, all US BLK 30s have the taxi/landing lights on the nose strut and no longer on the main gear, but I do see your point about the proper gear (which is hard to tell the difference).

Does the C/N kit have the stiffener plates built in or are they included as plastic parts?

I’ll look into the Aires cockpit. Based on conversations with Drew, he believes the Aires cockpit (for the BLK 50 Tamiya kit) was developed from the Hasegawa kit and said it was a pain to work with and why he wound up using the Avionix cockpit. (I have both but haven’t messed with either yet, but I’ll take his word for it). 

I’m also contemplating if it is possible for me to add the center pedestal MFD display, as all the USAF SCU jets have those (AFAIK). So that might negate the cockpit issue. Plus it’s damn small to see and most won’t know the difference. 

So as I see it, the BLK 25/30 CN Aggressor kit would be a better launching kit than the BLK 50… some of my aftermarket parts will still be utilized though—like my CrossDelta conversion kit. The TAMIYA one is extremely hard to find. 

I did find out:

The instructions also show you where the scab plates go along the dorsal spine of the airframe, though this diagram is a shameless plug for their optional photo-etched detail set available separately.

Edited by mirvc17

As I’m waiting on the C/N kit to arrive, I’ve started working in the Eduard AIM-9Xs and the radar “Late” kit.  Cutting and sanding resin parts is time consuming…

The AIM-9Xs are an excellent upgrade to the stock missiles. The detail is excellent and the fins are nice and thin…. No sanding down fins like Drew did in his project. However, I have two gripes. The molds have the rear fins attached but you have to glue the front fins in… seems like a bad design—why not just do the same as the aft fins? Also, and worse…is the exhaust nozzles. They are attached to a block of resin and once you cut them free from their posts, they are almost impossible to hold on to to sand them perfectly flat. In fact, I ruined two of them and lost one to the carpet monster. And the one I was able to use didn’t glue on perfectly straight. I had to use two Tamiya kit nozzles, which glued flat but aren’t quite as nice. Oh well… I’ll have to use one more nozzle from the C/N kit. Eduard could have easily made this process easier…like including the fins or the nozzles in the mold….I will probably build all four missiles but only two will be on the jet. 

IMG_8505.jpeg

Nice project.

It's similar with Kinetic AIM-9x's and Hasegawa Super Hornet AIM-9X's (even in 1/72!)- the exhaust You have to add separatelly. The plastic is a bit easier to attach obviously. But I guess it all comes down to detail You want in there.

The Eduard nozzles are definitely more accurate, but the potential of destroying them is too great. Terrible decision to mold them this way…or not include them into the main body. I haven’t started on the AIM-120Cs yet, and I’m hoping it won’t be as troubling. 

Some nozzle work/comparisons today. The Metallic Details kit is a bit more detailed in the pedals vs the Eduard kit. The Eduard kit would also require some very good taping to paint the worn/black area of the pedals. However the MD kit is a bit thick in the inner ring of the exhaust compared to Eduard. MD nozzle is also molded to the aft piece while the Eduard will have to be glued. I’m not committed to either yet. 

I’m quite interested in another nozzle that is currently out of stock through one of my model supplier sites—the Gloria Models F110 nozzle. I’m definitely going to get one and compare. 

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

IMG_8510.jpeg

• mirvc17 changed the title to TAMIYA 1/48 F-16C+ (BLK 30)

While not a part of this project, I received the Gloria PW229 nozzle (and some other HAF goodies) for a future project. The Gloria nozzle says it’s for BLK 25/32, but this is an error, as the PW229 is only mounted on BLK52s and some BLK42s.  Their BLK 32/42/52 nozzle is a standard, non-carbon fiber PW220 (metal) nozzle. But I digress. 

The detail is superb and correctly has the petals attached to the inner nozzle with one large bolt, vice two bolts on the older metal nozzle. As detailed as this nozzle is, I’d be willing to be their GE nozzle beats Eduard and Metallic Details. I will definitely be using Gloria and don’t plan on buying any others to check/compare for accuracy. 

I also spent some time today studying the gear differences in the C/N kit, as it has both 25/30/32 gear and BLK 42 (heavy) gear. I think Aires wheel bays have the R5 (or in this case the K6) bulkhead already built in, and I’m guess it’s probably for the heavier gear that the BLK40-52 aircraft have. So this means I won’t be able to use the Aires main wheel bay for this project and will use the stock parts. I don’t know if I want to lay the hyd/elec lines like I did in the last jet. It was really a pain and I don’t think I did that great if a job—especially when it’s almost never seen. The Aires main bay may be used for the HAF BLK52+ project. 

But some more hands on fitting and checking will have to take place. Unless Aires makes an earlier BLKs wheel bay set (haven’t found it yet). 

IMG_8576.jpeg

IMG_8569.jpeg

Thanks… I assume you mean my completed jet in the Showcase?

To jump ahead to the next project, related to this engine. I’ve discovered a critical error with the Gloria nozzle. It’s almost baffling on their part. 

The kit I just bought (25/32) is supposed to be the PW220 nozzle, but it’s clear it’s actually the PW229 carbon nozzle. BUT, the AB flame unit inside is actually the PW220….. and their “PW 32/42/52” kit has the AB flame unit set up that’s found on the PW229… this is confirmed from multiple photos from the Modern Viper Guide (2nd edition) and Viper Under the Skin (Special Edition)…

I am really being anal here but this is really a big mistake on Gloria’s part. I think they screwed up some of their references. Now I’ll

have to acquire the 32/42/52 kit to get the correct AB flame rings. 🤦‍♂️

(on the positive side I’ll have a full PW220 nozzle, but I am super annoyed)

Maybe I need to stop looking at the details? Nahhhhh

First pic is for the “25/32” (which came with the PW229 carbon nozzle). Second is the flame unit for the 32/42/52, which belongs with what I just bought. Ugh. 

IMG_8612.png

IMG_8613.png

LITENING targeting pod done and dirt washed. Just needs a flat clear coat on it. 

I didn’t use the included Eduard decals, but rather the ones from the Speed Hunter 5th Gen Viper set … it better matches the TGP found on this Buckley jet I took some photos of…

I don’t have serial numbers for the pod pylon though … oh well…

IMG_8638.jpeg

IMG_8644.png

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, mirvc17 said:

Some nozzle work/comparisons today. The Metallic Details kit is a bit more detailed in the pedals vs the Eduard kit. The Eduard kit would also require some very good taping to paint the worn/black area of the pedals. However the MD kit is a bit thick in the inner ring of the exhaust compared to Eduard. MD nozzle is also molded to the aft piece while the Eduard will have to be glued. I’m not committed to either yet. 

I’m quite interested in another nozzle that is currently out of stock through one of my model supplier sites—the Gloria Models F110 nozzle. I’m definitely going to get one and compare. 

IMG_8508.jpeg

IMG_8509.jpeg

Check this out:

1/48 F-16 Exhaust nozzles TAMIYA (modelondetails.com)

On 10/23/2023 at 5:05 PM, mirvc17 said:

Thanks for the link. Haven’t heard of that brand before. Looks pretty decent but doesn’t appear to be any more detailed than the Gloria set. And looks like there are no rivets on the burner can pedals…

I’m pretty happy with the Gloria set. 

I bought Manuel’s ModelOn details GE for the Kinetic F-16 and it fits perfect, has all the details and I feel is the best option out there. Highly recommend! 

I also have Katran GE for Tamiya and it’s on the same level, maybe even better. It has the carbon fiber thread for the shroud and looks amazing. The shroud doesn’t fit Kinetic without some sanding. 

Both of these are my choice above all others for the GE. Can’t upload any pictures 🤦‍♂️

ordered Gloria for the Pratt engine and not happy to hear about your mix up… 

Well, absolute KUDOS to the48ers.com where I ordered the PW 220/229 nozzles from. 48ers and I emailed multiple times back and forth about the discrepancies and we both agreed the pictures provided by Gloria were wrong. 48ers said Gloria was planning to fix those errors (picture) and it seems that we may have convinced them they had the wrong flame unit for the PW229.  I also mentioned their naming convention was all wrong. It has nothing to do with BLK, but everything to do with the engine number (220 vs 229)…

I don’t know if they’ll fix the flame unit to the correct one for the 229 or not, as both models have the 220 flame unit. I have a lot of time before that becomes a “problem”…

otherwise the detail on the Gloria stuff is outstanding. Best I’ve seen so far, but fitting on stock parts or attaching to aftermarket tail end (Eduard or Metallic Details) remains to be seen. 

Again, we are all uber sensitive about the details of even an AB flame unit which you can almost not see… but still. Details details details…..

That’s great to hear that they are open to, and planning on making the adjustments to have correct sets. I have several Gloria sets coming from the48ers.com now and will definitely want to see how and if Gloria can distribute the correct parts. FYI, Ilias at 48ers is a class act and great guy.