What can the MQ-9 Reaper carry

I am building the Kinetic kit and want to do a different loadout.

I know they can carry/use the LITENING pod, and have tested AIM-9's.

Does anyone know if they have external tanks for them?  any photo's?

They carry AGM-114K laser hellfires up to a 4 pack M299 on the outboard rails and 2 pack on the inboard side (or single racks all around), GBU-38s and GBU-12s in single stores, just small ordnance. No external tanks. They dont carry much at all. Dont expect them to carry AIM-9s.

Edited by utley

I am curious - why would the MQ-9 need a Litening pod? It already has a very capable sensor suite with laser designator, laser spot tracker, FLIR, GPS and satcom up the wazoo. What capability would the Litening bring to the table?

13 minutes ago, KursadA said:

I am curious - why would the MQ-9 need a Litening pod? It already has a very capable sensor suite with laser designator, laser spot tracker, FLIR, GPS and satcom up the wazoo. What capability would the Litening bring to the table?

No idea why, saw an article that said block 10 through 50 were modified to carry the pod.

On 11/1/2023 at 9:31 AM, KursadA said:

This is the link (from 2020) I found saying the MQ-9 was getting upgraded.

https://www.shephardmedia.com/news/uv-online/air-national-guard-upgrade-mq-9s/

This is from the Northrop-Grumman webpage stating the pod is flying on reapers:

https://www.northropgrumman.com/what-we-do/air/litening-advanced-targeting-pod

I found a bunch of other photos looking for my original links last night. This (2015) shows an AF Reaper with a larger external tank than the one @ST0RM posted.

http://rpdefense.over-blog.com/2015/09/u-s-air-force-fields-mq-9-reaper-extended-range.html

My duck duck go search gave me this photo, which appears to be a different system (GORGON STARE?).

th?id=OIP.5Z_q3qlG-GdpkQCfwqNcogHaF8%26p

Then there is this story from The War Zone that says a reaper shot a drone down with an AIM-9, and mentions a Predator shooting a stinger at a Mig25 (just before being shot down by the MiG).

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/23694/heat-seeking-missile-armed-mq-9-reaper-shot-down-target-drone-during-exercise

There are also pics of a "NATO" intel pod being carried.

Like I said, I am looking for information to help me build a model that has a different loadout.

Thanks to @ST0RM for his picture, it led me to some other pics on the web.

Just for the record, yes the AIM-9X can be carried by the drone. However, its very unlikely it will be carried often enough in the future since the MQ-9 is only able to operate in uncontested airspace. Its pointless for a drone that can barely maneuver to do air to air, especially since the OPFOR can capture the drone and reverse engineer everything on the aircraft...which happened with the drone that was brought down in the black sea after it collided with that Su27. Also, not saying the other pods and what-not are not being loaded on the aircraft per se, there are a few MQ9s that are test beds for future drones. I work on the MQ25 program; its just a refueling tanker designed to take the load off of F-18 Rhinos, but Boeing wants to build a combat version of it as well plus there is the MQ28 Australia is buying right now. Much like the F35 getting all the new tech, that tech is going to branch out into future aircraft, so everything you see on these MQ-9s on the internet are most likely just a tech demonstrator. These will eventually make their way to the next generation of combat drones that act as loyal wingmen.

As for the Litening Pod....thats curious. The L.S.S the drone carries is not inferior to the Litening pod at all. Im wondering if its the next generation Litening Pod that sees in color.

Edited by utley
  • 3 weeks later...