Rye Field Model MiG-21

RFM has posted a teaser on their Facebook page.

rfmMig21.thumb.jpg.f31c6dbd9ab67c8aed25b11040f834a0.jpg

It's a 3rd (S, R, SM, M, MF) or 4th (bis) generation MiG-21 but the scale isn't specified. The K-5 missiles are surprising but I believe they were still used in training at the time of the 3rd generation versions.

What doesn't look quite right to me:

- stabilizers: I think anhedral should be 0° and they seem placed a little high on the fuselage

- canopy: I think the cross-section should be semi-circular not parabolic

- things like reinforcement plates on top wing above the outer pylons

Another botched-up MiG-21 kit to come ?

Edited by Laurent
3 hours ago, Laurent said:

It's a 3rd (S, R, SM, M, MF) or 4th (bis) generation MiG-21 but the scale isn't specified. The K-5 missiles are surprising but I believe they were still used in training at the time of the 3rd generation versions.

What doesn't look quite right to me:

- stabilizers: I think anhedral should be 0° and they seem placed a little high on the fuselage

- canopy: I think the cross-section should be semi-circular not parabolic

Another botched-up MiG-21 kit to come ?

The K-5 missiles are surprising but I believe they were still used in training at the time of the 3rd generation versions.

The RS-2US missiles were in full operational use all the way up to the introduction of MiG-29's in mid 1990's! For intercept mission it was a mix of R-3 and RS-2US on the wings. The extra fuel tank on wings was ONLY for long flights, not within the country and certainly not on alert aircraft!

It is not reinforcement but the vortex genarator plate in front of the aelorns!

I believe there is little point in speculating and posting wish lists. Eventually the maker will surely say what they are doing and in what scale.

Best regards

Gabor

1 hour ago, Spruemeister said:

All this speculation over a black silhouette that is probably just a drawing and not actual parts.

It comes from a CAD render: there's a shadow.

22 hours ago, Laurent said:

It comes from a CAD render: there's a shadow.

Are MiG-21's pylons angled downwards toward the front? If not then everything you've pointed out is just a consequence of the perspective of the renders, which are not looking perfectly straight at the front. The whole plane is very slightly angled downwards. The wing tanks and missile's fins are not lined up straight, you can see the fins at the top slightly bigger and the tank body 'round' cross-section turning into an oval hiding a bit of the bottom fins. The missile front fins are not lined with the rear ones. Also that slight downward angle would create that squarish shape from an oval/eliptic cross-section of the belly tank in an orthographic perspective. The horizontal tails would also look higher than supposed and the front edge to rear edge rake would create and illusion of dihedral. If you zoom in the parabollic curve of the canopy is an illusion created from the composite of two curves, the canopy curve and what looks to be the spine if it's a MiG-21 with spine, you can see the kink or point where they intersect around the middle height.

I just thrown this together to illustrate.

Untitled.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor

Thank you Inquisitor for the illustration. Some comments though:

- stabilizer: the CAD designer did the stabilizer mechanism fairings on top and bottom near the root. They have the same height and this suggest that the stabilizer isn't tilted but perpendicular to the screen plane

- fuselage tank: the projection used in the CAD seems to be orthographic (the radio-altimeter antennas under the wing tip are just vertical segments) but if you look at the fuselage tank it doesn't correspond to your drawing (tilted cylinder of elliptic cross-section)... in the CAD you see two ellipses and I don't think the tank was area-ruled

- wings: assume that the CAD model is tilted down. If it was the case then the wing incidence would be positive and pretty big

Anyway I'm going to way for profile and top views now.

On 10/31/2023 at 1:50 PM, ya-gabor said:

It is not reinforcement but the vortex genarator plate in front of the aelorns!

I didn't notice these until today.

image.thumb.png.db7262dfca6ba7b9a9810213d33dfd10.png

In the silhouette I think they should be hidden by the wing thickness.

About wings and stabilizers geometry. Vladimir Klimov did good MiG-21 drawings used in Yefim Gordon books. The MiG-21bis drawings are interesting because there are two types on front views in it:

- fuselage axis perpendicular to drawings plane

gordonBisFront.jpg.3b780ec1a29f296a26a3da8bc2c6270c.jpg

- aircraft on it landing gear so ground plane perpendicular to drawings plane

image.png.a548b1796ccb188dfb4e96e1f7db3b9a.png

The second drawing helps to understand the RFM silhouette: stabilizers"dihedral" and wing cross-section come from the nose-down attitude. The angle between fuselage axis and the normal axis is smaller in the RFM silhouette than in Klimov however: front landing gear fully compressed in Klimov because of the deployed breaking parachute ? This view expains why the wings vortex generating tabs are visible.

What makes the silhouette weird is that it represents an aircraft resting on its landing gear when the landing gear isn't represented.

Edited by Laurent