Academy B1B Lancer --- landing gear down plus swept back wings?

Well I had Academys nice 1/144 B1B for Xmas and I'd like to build it with the wings swept right back and the undercarriage down.  I've been trying to find photo's of it in that configuration without much luck (apart from a build on Finescale Modeler).   I know I could make it that way anyway but is that a realistic configuration?

That is one of the prototypes according to the caption but it's a bit weird. Any of the pictures you see of 0174 before it was at the museum show it with the enlarged spine. I wonder why they removed it.

Edited by Specter1075
3 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

That is one of the prototypes. I think it's #4 because it doesn't have the wide spine running down its back.

Ahh.   I haven't seen that prototype before.   And I take it the photo to the left of it is the same aircraft repainted in a newer scheme?

3 minutes ago, Specter1075 said:

I'm not sure what that scheme is on the left. It looks like they just threw it on for the museum. I don't think I ever saw a picture of the B-1As with that scheme.

Yes it does look a bit thrown together especially considering how cool the original camouflage looked.

There were quite a few differences with the prototypes, so doing an A might be tricky. 3 of them had pointy tail housings, the enlarged spine was present, and the wing glove area was different. You would also need the turkey feathers on the exhaust.

What about the escape capsule folded fins?

Also the nose strut link arm was different on the first prototype.

Scott

CNJC-IPMS

On 1/2/2024 at 7:22 PM, Specter1075 said:

There were quite a few differences with the prototypes, so doing an A might be tricky. 3 of them had pointy tail housings, the enlarged spine was present, and the wing glove area was different. You would also need the turkey feathers on the exhaust.

That's the problem.   So many differences and also ones you wouldn't notice straight away.  I take it though I can do a more modern camouflage scheme with the Academy kit like the one Quixote posted above?

On 1/3/2024 at 9:44 PM, habu2 said:

The inlets on the engine nacelles were also different on the prototypes. 

I think I'll leave the prototypes till another time.   I hope Modelcollect does their 1/72 version and includes the prototypes too.